Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 08:27 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,438 times

Advertisements

Supreme Court rules for Pennsylvania cheerleader in school free speech case

A Pennsylvania school district violated the First Amendment by disciplining a student for off-campus speech, the court ruled.

From Snapchat to the Supreme Court: Justices to weigh free speech case of Pennsylvania cheerleader

School indoctrination is being challenged.

This is a great ruling because it will pave the way for people being able to speak their minds, including being pro conservative, pro republican, pro libertarian or anti-democrat without being punished for it like Democrats like to do to people who disagree with them.

I'm really enjoying the Supreme Court rulings lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 08:34 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
I love free speech rulings. The current SCOTUS is doing a decent job, that's why the Dems want to pack it and reverse this positive trend.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 06-23-2021, 08:34 AM

903 posts, read 583,423 times
I had watched a segment on this pending case. Will be interesting once some of the info comes out on why they made the decision they did.

In the past, rulings have seemed to lean towards the school if the speech was likely to cause harm or "turmoil" to others. Berating a coach and school would seem to potentially cause quite a bit of turmoil for the team and coach.

24/7 access to Social Media can allow it to become an extension of the school especially when the topic of conversation is the school and the "public" has access to it.

cd :O)

Old 06-23-2021, 08:44 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,226,594 times
I'm tossed on this one. It is the kids Right to post inflammatory messages on social media aimed at the school but it is also the schools Right to discipline a student for attacking the school.

What bothers me is that a 14 year old girl speaks like this.

"In an act of frustration, on a Saturday, Levy posted a self-deleting photo on Snapchat of her and a friend raising their middle fingers with the caption "f**k school f**k softball f**k cheer f**k everything." In a second message, Levy wrote "Love how me and [another student] get told we need a year of jv before we make varsity but that's doesn't matter to anyone else?"

Okay we get it you are angry but at 14 you are a Sophmore which means you are on the JV team. You have 2 more years of school where you can try out for the Varsity teams. Is she acting like a spoiled brat?

It certainly seems that she has a chip on her shoulder and the school did the only thing they could by disciplining her.

I guess the lesson she learned is that if you make enough of a stink you will get your way?

Has anyone considered that maybe she was not good enough for the Varsity team?

Old 06-23-2021, 08:46 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I love free speech rulings. The current SCOTUS is doing a decent job, that's why the Dems want to pack it and reverse this positive trend.
Me too.

I'm always puzzled as to why Democrats, the ones who claim to be big tent open minded inclusive people, are so afraid of free speech and as a result try to shut opposing views down as fast as they can.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:56 AM

5,981 posts, read 2,235,359 times
I feel like schools are damn if they do damn if they don't in these situations because Parents have dropped the ball. The solution would be to just inform the parent of the situation and the parent would take care of the rest. Unfortunately parents have dropped the ball for a few decades and schools are now attempting to fill the void which is impossible honestly. Parents even agree with these extra steps on many occasions until its their child that gets caught.

I have seen parents of all races and socioeconomic status in both Public and Private school berating teachers and principles for discipling their children for any behavior. Kid cuss the teacher out, must have been the teachers fault per these parents. Kid steals something and is caught with the item, per the parent its the schools fault. Kid not doing their assignments on time, the school screwed up per the parents.

People love blaming government for how schools operate but in reality it is more 50% Government BS and 50% horrible parenting that has culturally infected all of American society with a lack of respect for teachers or schools themselves. I hear people say they hate teachers because they hate government, that is like saying you hate Military troops for the decisions made by politicians starting wars. The two are separate issues.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:06 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Has anyone considered that maybe she was not good enough for the Varsity team?
No because it doesn't matter with regards to free speech if she was or not.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:11 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
You'll note that the lone holdout here was Justice Thomas (personally, my favorite justice). This is consistent with his his historical analysis that schools generally had such a power and that it was a power that is not inconsistent with an original understanding of the First Amendment. I need to read more up on his rationale to say whether I agree with it. Regardless, though, I support the Court's outcome!

Old 06-23-2021, 09:11 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
I feel like schools are damn if they do damn if they don't in these situations because Parents have dropped the ball. The solution would be to just inform the parent of the situation and the parent would take care of the rest. Unfortunately parents have dropped the ball for a few decades and schools are now attempting to fill the void which is impossible honestly. Parents even agree with these extra steps on many occasions until its their child that gets caught.

I have seen parents of all races and socioeconomic status in both Public and Private school berating teachers and principles for discipling their children for any behavior. Kid cuss the teacher out, must have been the teachers fault per these parents. Kid steals something and is caught with the item, per the parent its the schools fault. Kid not doing their assignments on time, the school screwed up per the parents.
^^^This. This. This.

Many people don't even realize it because they personally can't wrap their heads around a parent so entitled and awful that the have to have the principal in attendance at conferences with them....if not security.

Heard this from pretty much every teacher in my circle of friends\family with stories to back it up and they taught in a wide range of socio-economic areas, small towns, suburbs, cities...doesn't matter.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:19 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
Me too.

I'm always puzzled as to why Democrats, the ones who claim to be big tent open minded inclusive people, are so afraid of free speech and as a result try to shut opposing views down as fast as they can.
And yet the lone dissent was from a conservative justice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies