Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2021, 02:46 PM

8,209 posts, read 3,479,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I completely agree. I'm stunned that this was done against her consent, unless she didn't make it clear at the time she wasn't consenting.

You can't even sterilize young women with Down's Syndrome, or other incapacitating conditions that would make them unable to parent, without their consent.
She definitely did not consent.

My father is controlling and abusive and kept trying to take over every aspect of my life. I kept having so-called friends break out Bible verses against me about forgiveness and honoring my mother and father and such every time I was about to break off contact. Britney's case gave me the final push to ignore them and do it, because I saw so many of the red flags with my own family. Unfortunately, the family retaliated by lying about me and causing me to lose my child to my rapist. Had I not confided my intentions to my Christian 'friends' and just got us away from the area I wouldn't have been destroyed like that.

Britney has never truly been free in her life. It's a horrible case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 02:18 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I do not believe it is actually "allowed" here. The standard for making this sort of a ruling is apparently that the person has to be "gravely incapacitated". So that would be someone in a coma, or who has had a stroke. Or if it is mental issues, that person is supposed to be "incapable" of functioning in society. She is not incapable, by any reasonable measure. It appears that the authority provided under the law has been corruptly misapplied and abused.

I don't know the US law in such cases, but it certainly sounds corrupt and a abuse of power.

What's the appeal process in the US.

In the UK, any dispute would be resolved by the Court of Protection with appeal going to the Court of Appeal and UK Supreme Court/European Court of Human Rights.

The main legislation that would apply in such cases in the UK would be -

Mental Capacity Act 2005 - Wikipedia

The European Convention on Human Rights was fully enshrined in to British Law via the 1998 Human Rights Act.

European Convention on Human Rights - Wikipedia

Unless a person has been diagnosed by at least two psychiatrist and is a danger to themselves and others or is detained due to a criminal offence (forensic psychiatry) then the law is on the side of the individual and Human Rights such as the right to privacy and family life as well as numerous other rights related to freedom, expression and liberty should also not be breached.

In the case of Britney, she would have undergone treatment and it beggars belief that a court order applied in 2008 hasn't been lifted after 13 years, and it certainly seems to point towards abuse of power and even possible corruption.

Britney Spears: Singer's conservatorship case explained - BBC News

Promoting human rights, choice and control in care planning - Mental Capacity Act (MCA)

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-27-2021 at 02:44 AM..

Old 06-27-2021, 06:13 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,307 times
This is, ironically, and issue that unites progressive feminists and conservative pro-life, anti-contraceptive advocates!

Old 06-27-2021, 11:58 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,514,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

I don't know the US law in such cases, but it certainly sounds corrupt and a abuse of power.

What's the appeal process in the US.

In the UK, any dispute would be resolved by the Court of Protection with appeal going to the Court of Appeal and UK Supreme Court/European Court of Human Rights.

The main legislation that would apply in such cases in the UK would be -

Mental Capacity Act 2005 - Wikipedia

The European Convention on Human Rights was fully enshrined in to British Law via the 1998 Human Rights Act.

European Convention on Human Rights - Wikipedia

Unless a person has been diagnosed by at least two psychiatrist and is a danger to themselves and others or is detained due to a criminal offence (forensic psychiatry) then the law is on the side of the individual and Human Rights such as the right to privacy and family life as well as numerous other rights related to freedom, expression and liberty should also not be breached.

In the case of Britney, she would have undergone treatment and it beggars belief that a court order applied in 2008 hasn't been lifted after 13 years, and it certainly seems to point towards abuse of power and even possible corruption.

Britney Spears: Singer's conservatorship case explained - BBC News

Promoting human rights, choice and control in care planning - Mental Capacity Act (MCA)
To be fair, her father and the conservatorship team has represented all along that this was a voluntary arrangement that Britney had willingly agreed to. Prior to just this last Thursday, Britney had apparently never asked to have the conservatorship eliminated.

In the US, and I think probably in the UK as well, if you are an adult you are expected to take a certain level of responsibility for yourself. In this case, while she probably never should have been put in a conservatorship, it is reasonable to expect her to stand up for herself enough to at least say that she objects to that and does not want that. As far as I can tell, she did not do that, until the court hearing this week.

I do not understand why so many people resort to appeasement strategies and think that will result in a successful alleviation of mistreatment, exploitation, oppression or abuse. It looks to me that this was what she was trying to do. That approach failed completely, just like always. In fact, that approach dependably emboldens exploiters, oppressors and abusers, and makes the circumstances of those who are being exploited, oppressed and abused even worse. We see that with the appeasement response of vast swaths of Americans to the viscously nasty, aggressively uncivil and completely unprincipled conduct of the anti-American Democrat left promoters of systemic racism, commonly referred to as 'Wokesters,' 'Social Justice Warriors,' and the associated BLM and Antifa domestic terrorist groups.

Appeasement. Does. Not. Work. - Unless you think it is better to live your life under the jack-boot heel of your oppressors. It looks like maybe Britney is coming to this realization and is starting to snap out of it. We need for everyone else to snap out of it also.

She stated in her hearing to the judge that she did not previously know that she was allowed to request that the conservatorship be lifted. But that now that she does know, she is asking to have the conservatorship lifted, and for starters, she wants a new attorney of her own choosing, as the current attorney apparently works for her father and not for her.

This has all become very public. Now that she has made this stand in this public hearing, the audio and transcripts of which have been widely disseminated, it seems that the judge is going to be under some pressure to give Britney her freedom back. There are a lot of people who will have their financial gravy train ended by that move, so there may be some resistance. But a lot of people are watching this now, so hopefully this judge will do the right thing here, finally.

Old 06-27-2021, 12:39 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
She definitely did not consent.

My father is controlling and abusive and kept trying to take over every aspect of my life. I kept having so-called friends break out Bible verses against me about forgiveness and honoring my mother and father and such every time I was about to break off contact. Britney's case gave me the final push to ignore them and do it, because I saw so many of the red flags with my own family. Unfortunately, the family retaliated by lying about me and causing me to lose my child to my rapist. Had I not confided my intentions to my Christian 'friends' and just got us away from the area I wouldn't have been destroyed like that.

Britney has never truly been free in her life. It's a horrible case.
We don't know that.

I'm really hard-pressed to believe when she was there in the stirrups at the OB's office getting the thing inserted, she said very clearly that she didn't want an IUD.

If so, whatever medical practitioner physically subdued her and inserted it against her will should face charges.

It's much more likely she didn't express that to a doctor or nurse, but rather, went in compliantly and now she's demanding her rights. As she should.

Old 06-27-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
We don't know that.

I'm really hard-pressed to believe when she was there in the stirrups at the OB's office getting the thing inserted, she said very clearly that she didn't want an IUD.

If so, whatever medical practitioner physically subdued her and inserted it against her will should face charges.

It's much more likely she didn't express that to a doctor or nurse, but rather, went in compliantly and now she's demanding her rights. As she should.
You are right. We do not know the actual details.

But based on what we do know, it appears that your assessment is correct.

Old 06-27-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
To be fair, her father and the conservatorship team has represented all along that this was a voluntary arrangement that Britney had willingly agreed to. Prior to just this last Thursday, Britney had apparently never asked to have the conservatorship eliminated.

In the US, and I think probably in the UK as well, if you are an adult you are expected to take a certain level of responsibility for yourself. In this case, while she probably never should have been put in a conservatorship, it is reasonable to expect her to stand up for herself enough to at least say that she objects to that and does not want that. As far as I can tell, she did not do that, until the court hearing this week.

I do not understand why so many people resort to appeasement strategies and think that will result in a successful alleviation of mistreatment, exploitation, oppression or abuse. It looks to me that this was what she was trying to do. That approach failed completely, just like always. In fact, that approach dependably emboldens exploiters, oppressors and abusers, and makes the circumstances of those who are being exploited, oppressed and abused even worse. We see that with the appeasement response of vast swaths of Americans to the viscously nasty, aggressively uncivil and completely unprincipled conduct of the anti-American Democrat left promoters of systemic racism, commonly referred to as 'Wokesters,' 'Social Justice Warriors,' and the associated BLM and Antifa domestic terrorist groups.

Appeasement. Does. Not. Work. - Unless you think it is better to live your life under the jack-boot heel of your oppressors. It looks like maybe Britney is coming to this realization and is starting to snap out of it. We need for everyone else to snap out of it also.

She stated in her hearing to the judge that she did not previously know that she was allowed to request that the conservatorship be lifted. But that now that she does know, she is asking to have the conservatorship lifted, and for starters, she wants a new attorney of her own choosing, as the current attorney apparently works for her father and not for her.

This has all become very public. Now that she has made this stand in this public hearing, the audio and transcripts of which have been widely disseminated, it seems that the judge is going to be under some pressure to give Britney her freedom back. There are a lot of people who will have their financial gravy train ended by that move, so there may be some resistance. But a lot of people are watching this now, so hopefully this judge will do the right thing here, finally.
She was not willing. The lawyer was working more for the father and she was being threatened with never seeing her children. It was a huge mess back then. I really don't consider coercion to be willing. Nor would trickery that the lawyer did to her. She never said that she was okay with this. It's been one sided.

I am hoping that she will finally be free from this and she keeps distance from her father. I actually didn't realize that this was still going on until it was in the news. I thought with her money that her lawyers would end up fixing it eventually.

Her case got me to try to take action with my own family. I was constantly being threatened with things if I didn't do something. My father is like that. I was even homeschooling my daughter at one point because of the harassment we got from the school. She had black girls attacking her because she was mixed. White kids were sometimes treating her bad as well. Then I found out that they were not teaching her and passing her anyway. She was way behind in math. The teacher was having her guess the answer and marking it right if it was close enough. My family was against my homeschooling her and I was threatened with social services constantly. They undermined my parental authority every chance they could. I finally decided to work on moving away from the family and starting over because if Britney Spears could have this happen with all of her money then what chance did I have? I just didn't take action fast enough.

They are trying to spin it now because of the media attention. It was clear when it happened that it was not her idea. It was in the news. I don't recall the dates. Then news of the situation went quiet. Her father is shady. The lawyer is too.

Old 06-27-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
She was not willing. The lawyer was working more for the father and she was being threatened with never seeing her children. It was a huge mess back then. I really don't consider coercion to be willing. Nor would trickery that the lawyer did to her. She never said that she was okay with this. It's been one sided.

I am hoping that she will finally be free from this and she keeps distance from her father. I actually didn't realize that this was still going on until it was in the news. I thought with her money that her lawyers would end up fixing it eventually.

Her case got me to try to take action with my own family. I was constantly being threatened with things if I didn't do something. My father is like that. I was even homeschooling my daughter at one point because of the harassment we got from the school. She had black girls attacking her because she was mixed. White kids were sometimes treating her bad as well. Then I found out that they were not teaching her and passing her anyway. She was way behind in math. The teacher was having her guess the answer and marking it right if it was close enough. My family was against my homeschooling her and I was threatened with social services constantly. They undermined my parental authority every chance they could. I finally decided to work on moving away from the family and starting over because if Britney Spears could have this happen with all of her money then what chance did I have? I just didn't take action fast enough.

They are trying to spin it now because of the media attention. It was clear when it happened that it was not her idea. It was in the news. I don't recall the dates. Then news of the situation went quiet. Her father is shady. The lawyer is too.
That this could have happened to her at all should be deeply alarming and offensive to everyone who values any real concept of human rights, not to mention freedom. She is not now, nor was she previously, "gravely incapacitated" by any legitimate measure. She was not.

Why did she not previously speak up to the judge about this? It pretty clearly appears that she was trying to work her way out of it by appeasing her captors and being "nice". It did not work for her, which should come as no surprised, as appeasement never works, as far as I have observed.

While it never should have happened, regardless, she and all of us have to recognize our responsibility to set boundaries and to push back against evil and wrong in our lives. Too many people are just going along. Our country is literally being destroyed right now, and the way to stop that is for everyone who says that they care to get up off their fat asses and push back and to NOT CONSENT to these evil agendas.

It sounds like you are doing your best to fight your way through the situation you described, which sounds very difficult. You should be commended. Life is hard and it is not made easier by trying to do right or well by the people that you love or care about. But if we fail to even try, then we become enablers of the evil and the wrong, which contributes to the world being made into the living hell that is being constructed all around us right now.

Kudos to you and to Britney for standing up and trying to do the right things, even when it is hard and the way ahead is uncertain. Hopefully you both will be successful and will be rewarded for your efforts.

Old 06-27-2021, 01:56 PM

2,450 posts, read 971,670 times
This is a sad story. Spears has been taken advantage of her entire life. If the things she is saying are true her parents have a lot of explaining to do. She isn't even being properly represented by her attorney because he works for the Conservership. I hope whatever judge presides over this case orders a full audit of her fiances that her Father has had control over her entire life. It ALWAYS comes down to the money. Show us the money, where it went, and who it has been going to.

Old 06-27-2021, 04:50 PM

Quote:
That this could have happened to her at all should be deeply alarming and offensive to everyone who values any real concept of human rights, not to mention freedom. She is not now, nor was she previously, "gravely incapacitated" by any legitimate measure. She was not.

Why did she not previously speak up to the judge about this? It pretty clearly appears that she was trying to work her way out of it by appeasing her captors and being "nice". It did not work for her, which should come as no surprised, as appeasement never works, as far as I have observed.

While it never should have happened, regardless, she and all of us have to recognize our responsibility to set boundaries and to push back against evil and wrong in our lives. Too many people are just going along. Our country is literally being destroyed right now, and the way to stop that is for everyone who says that they care to get up off their fat asses and push back and to NOT CONSENT to these evil agendas.

It sounds like you are doing your best to fight your way through the situation you described, which sounds very difficult. You should be commended. Life is hard and it is not made easier by trying to do right or well by the people that you love or care about. But if we fail to even try, then we become enablers of the evil and the wrong, which contributes to the world being made into the living hell that is being constructed all around us right now.

Kudos to you and to Britney for standing up and trying to do the right things, even when it is hard and the way ahead is uncertain. Hopefully you both will be successful and will be rewarded for your efforts.
It's far too late for me. I was destroyed years ago.

It's possible that she was silent until her children were older. She was threatened with not seeing them again, according to what was said back then. No telling how much was involved in the threats. Mothers endure quite a bit of abuse sometimes for their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies