Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2021, 07:25 PM

33,595 posts, read 37,235,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Explain how raising the federal minimum wage to $15/hour protects the climate and the environment.

We'll wait....

Let's examine that in greater detail:

Palaeo data suggest that Greenland must have been largely ice free during Marine Isotope Stage 11 (MIS-11). The globally averaged MIS-11 sea level is estimated to have reached between 6–13 m above that of today.

[emphasis mine]

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms16008

“Even though the warm Eemian period was a period when the oceans were four to eight meters higher than today, the ice sheet in northwest Greenland was only a few hundred meters lower than the current level, which indicates that the contribution from the Greenland ice sheet was less than half the total sea-level rise during that period,” says Dorthe Dahl-Jensen, Professor at the Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen, and leader of the NEEM-project.

[emphasis mine]

https://www.nbi.ku.dk/english/news/n...e-of-the-past/

What I'm hearing is that Nature magazine -- an ardent support of man-made global warming -- and the Danish government are "elder conservatives whose brains have been fried by Right-wing media and who are uninformed are lunatics, nutters and conspiracy theorists.

State your case why you believe Nature magazine and the Danish government:

1) have had their brains fried by Right-wing media
2) are "uninformed"
3) are lunatics, nutters and conspiracy theorists.

In the alternative, address the peer-reviewed science from the links above and explain:

1) why this Inter-Glacial Period is colder than all 8 previously recorded Inter-Glacial Periods
2) why sea levels are lower in this Inter-Glacial Period than all 8 previously recorded Inter-Glacial Periods.

Let's see who the real "science deniers" are.

Finally, in the alternative, explain why you fear having to address real science.

Then why wasn't it's impact "massive" when CO2 made up 26% of the Earth's atmosphere?
Good grief 26%?

The highest atmospheric CO2 I know of is 9000 ppm, which is 0.9%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 02:31 PM

19,751 posts, read 10,191,208 times
So they are comparing temperatures taken by an old thermometer from the 1800s and comparing it to computer operated ones today and they think they can get an accurate difference within .0001 of a degree?
And they say they are scientists?

And to add to the inaccuracy, many sensors that were put out in an open area 50 years ago are now surrounded by concrete. I read that one that was put in an open field is now next to a busy airport.

Old 07-07-2021, 02:32 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,555,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
So they are comparing temperatures taken by an old thermometer from the 1800s and comparing it to computer operated ones today and they think they can get an accurate difference within .0001 of a degree?
They are propagandists, hucksters and hacks.

Old 07-07-2021, 11:24 PM

11,088 posts, read 6,038,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Lots of BS jess. Like to see less. But we have a few posters with their head stuck in the sand man and think it is a HOAX folks. But this is just a normal warming over 1500 years we have seen before and will again. Just no one has lived to see such a rapid warm up that is coming since records have only been kept since the 1800's.
One can't really compare the warming we are witnessing now over a hundred years to normal warming over 1500 years. Rapid warming is a problem but rapid cooling is a thing. But the thing is, and I've said this many times now, the earth is entering a 'normal' period of cooling. We are entering an ice age or rather, a period of glaciation. Except that the earth is warming instead. Therein lies the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Then why wasn't it's impact "massive" when CO2 made up 26% of the Earth's atmosphere?
Because at the time the earth's CO2 level was that high, the sun was a lot cooler. Temperatures on the earth were much higher at that time than now (not sure that CO2 was 26% though). Ironically, the sun is actually cooling at the moment (but not that much - just enough that the sun cannot be blamed for the current warming).

Quote:
The most distant period in time for which we have estimated CO2 levels is around the Ordovician period, 500 million years ago. At the time, atmospheric CO2 concentration was at a whopping 3000 to 9000 ppm! The average temperature wasn’t much more than 10 degrees C above today’s, and those of you who have heard of the runaway hothouse Earth scenario may wonder why it didn’t happen then. Major factors were that the Sun was cooler, and the planet’s orbital cycles were different.
So sanspeur nailed it at 9000 ppm or .9%

Last edited by 303Guy; 07-07-2021 at 11:37 PM..

Old 07-07-2021, 11:52 PM

11,088 posts, read 6,038,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post

And to add to the inaccuracy, many sensors that were put out in an open area 50 years ago are now surrounded by concrete. I read that one that was put in an open field is now next to a busy airport.
This is why many old data points have been empirically corrected. I remember at my old school where the thermometer was placed in a white, ventilated box out in an open field in the sun! Ocean water temperatures were measured by lifting a bucket of water out the ocean then measuring the temperature. This resulted in lower temperature readings. So correcting those would raise the ocean water temperatures which would lessen the apparent warming we are measuring.

Thing is, scientists are not stupid people. They know these things and make corrections for them.

Getting an 'accurate' reading of 0.0001 of a degree is the result of many many readings being averaged out. But where do you see a temperature of 0.0001 degree being proclaimed?

Another consideration is that ice absorbs heat when it melts. A lot of heat. So when one gets a temperature increase of 0.1 degree (Celsius), that's one hell of a lot of heat!

But you said; "And they say they are scientists?" I guess should have checked with you first. Are you a scientist? I mean, you seem to have the qualifications to criticize these frauds who claim to be scientist, right? And you would obviously be well aware of the measuring discrepancies of the past and the measures taken to compensate for those discrepancies? Correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
They are propagandists, hucksters and hacks.
Aah! Another qualified expert. Might I ask what your qualifications are, exactly? What field did you qualify in?

Old 07-07-2021, 11:59 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,480,125 times
Let’s see:
Covid-19 was a hoax…
Climate change is a hoax….
The 2020 presidential elections were a fraud….

Old 07-08-2021, 01:32 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,713,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
So so true. I joined C-D many years ago and there used to be good discussions. Now it's just ignorant, or at least naive, easily mislead people repeating what they hear on fringe websites. Critical thinking has disappeared completely.

And this post will probably be deleted....
I totally agree. Websites with loony, over the top ideas should be taken for sheer entertainment purposes, like the Onion or Babylon Bee, and certainly not taken seriously. To help explain what motivates them, the more outlandish the headlines and stories on them are, the more clicks attracted for advertisers.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 07-08-2021 at 01:43 AM..

Old 07-08-2021, 01:40 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,713,310 times
The people who are vehemently opposed to doing anything about climate change, because it isn't human caused shouldn't complain too much when their insurance premiums go up or have to bear the expense to move inland to get away from repeated 150+ mph hurricanes. And I wonder how costly it will be to truck bottled water to Salt Lake City, Phoenix and Las Vegas. Wouldn't be surprised if the same people who don't want the government to do anything about climate change feel it shouldn't do much in helping out the clean ups. They seem to hate FEMA.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 07-08-2021 at 01:53 AM..

Old 07-08-2021, 02:52 AM

51,688 posts, read 25,953,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Let’s see:
Covid-19 was a hoax…
Climate change is a hoax….
The 2020 presidential elections were a fraud….
Jan. 6 was just a bunch of tourists visiting the Capitol ...

I'm sensing a trend.

Old 07-08-2021, 04:44 AM

884 posts, read 359,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
So so true. I joined C-D many years ago and there used to be good discussions. Now it's just ignorant, or at least naive, easily mislead people repeating what they hear on fringe websites. Critical thinking has disappeared completely.

And this post will probably be deleted....
Truth in politics has become completely partisan. American politics today has become "my truth" and "your truth" and has left any attempt at objective truth far behind. Very much a case of first defining an agenda, then accepting the "truths" that fit in with that agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies