Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2021, 05:08 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times

Advertisements

Don't understand the concept of "pride" at all. I'm heterosexual. Who cares? Not something I would be "proud" of. You're gay? Again, who gives a !#%@?. Go live your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 05:14 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,802 times
straight white males are treated as second class citizens.

Old 07-01-2021, 05:49 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

I never understood "gay pride".

Not because I think being gay is something to be ashamed of.

But because your sexual orientation is just something that you are.....

It's not an achievement.

You have no more reason to be proud of being gay than you do being straight.

Or having red hair, green eyes ect.

Old 07-01-2021, 07:35 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Do you honestly think a "pride" parade convinces anyone that homosexuals, as a group, are more or less deserving of respect?

People are put off by homosexuality because humans have a high-developed sense of disgust that applies to anything that might transmit novel pathogens, including unusual sex practices.

Parades don't change that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Straights have disgusting sex practices, too. At least gay sex acts can't lead to abortion. Some people may find it hard to, but I try not to worry about people's sex lives. Live and let live.

All good points, but the fact that a sexual practice is disgusting on its own merit doesn't make it unusual and, as a consequence, particularly dangerous.

All sex is at least a little gross because it involves person-to-person contact in which bodily fluids are exchanged.

It is the unusual nature of sex acts (e.g., ATM, man-on-man butt sex) that make them particularly dangerous, and this naturally leads to disgust and avoidance.

We've been imprinting these tendencies on our DNA for some 200,000 years, so I don't expect much to change in the short time we are here.

Old 07-01-2021, 07:52 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
We don't need any type of sexual pride, and most people really don't care about what sexuality you are, however flying rainbow flags everywhere and daft marches are just childish nonsense.
Like Trump flags and boat parades?

Old 07-01-2021, 08:36 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,965,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Like Trump flags and boat parades?
Those are about ideals during political campaigns, not about sexual preferences.

Old 07-01-2021, 08:42 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Those are about ideals during political campaigns, not about sexual preferences.
Republicans don't get to decide who is allowed to be proud of what, at least not yet.

Old 07-01-2021, 08:48 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The thing is buddy, straight pride does matter just like gay pride does but straight people do not feel the need to march around and tell the world by getting into our faces. The majority of us do not care how others live their lives as long as it does not affect ours in a detrimental way.

The same goes for black lives matter. Of course all lives matter so why do we need to lift one group above all others?

You can scream if you want, that is your Right but it is my Right to ignore you and move on with my life.
Dunno about 'lifting one group above all others', though I suspect a lotta folks would be happy simply enjoying 'Equal Rights'... whether it's 'in your face' or otherwise. Or perhaps our friends on the Right would prefer a 'Trigger Warning' whenever they do?

Old 07-01-2021, 08:50 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Republicans don't get to decide who is allowed to be proud of what, at least not yet.

No they can't.

But they can certainly point out how silly it is that you're being "proud" of something that you yourself claim that you have no control over.

There is no more reason to be proud of being gay than to be proud of having a 32" inseam.

You are, by your own admission, exactly the way you were born.

How is that a source of pride?

Old 07-01-2021, 09:06 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Don't understand the concept of "pride" at all. I'm heterosexual. Who cares? Not something I would be "proud" of. You're gay? Again, who gives a !#%@?. Go live your life.

But historically speaking, gay people have had to live 'underground'. They were NOT treated like everyone else. They couldn't legally marry each other. If there was a couple, and one of them was sick and in the hospital, the family could make it that the other couldn't even come to visit. If the family felt that way. People have been blackmailed for being gay, because they hadn't come out to anyone, afraid for their jobs. Hollywood celebrities posing as straight, because they were afraid for their livelihoods, should the average Joe Blow find out they were gay.

And that's not even talking about the physical danger gay folk have had to deal with, for not being straight. Matthew Shepard was tortured and killed for being gay. In 1973, The Upstairs Lounge, in New Orleans was burned down by an arsonist, and 32 people were killed.

Gay folk WANT to live their life like everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies