Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 05:54 AM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

He sounds mad.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lgbtq-pri...090022823.html

Quote:
If anyone even mentions “straight pride” in my vicinity, I will scream.

And I don’t mean get into a shouting match. Or yell about LGBTQ+ rights (hard-fought, fleeting, at risk).

I mean a loud, guttural, sustained scream.

It seems any time a minority group desperately – though deftly, miraculously – manages to make enough noise to have their concerns heard, the majority quickly see it as a threat to their very comfortable status quo.

“Black Lives Matter” must mean white ones don’t; women’s empowerment must weaken men; and so, every June, Pride revelers must dodge blaring refrains of “what do they want now?” or “what if we had a straight pride?” – on top of the usual social, legal, professional and personal hurdles they already face year-round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2021, 06:41 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
The thing is buddy, straight pride does matter just like gay pride does but straight people do not feel the need to march around and tell the world by getting into our faces. The majority of us do not care how others live their lives as long as it does not affect ours in a detrimental way.

The same goes for black lives matter. Of course all lives matter so why do we need to lift one group above all others?

You can scream if you want, that is your Right but it is my Right to ignore you and move on with my life.

Old 06-30-2021, 07:47 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
The truth at the bottom of the article.

The mission of Pride has always been political: to shed light on issues affecting our communities, to organize and even to celebrate each other. This must continue.

I guess that means straight people are not allowed to shed light on our issues... and we are not allowed to organize and celebrate each other. Because...

So, no, you do not get “straight pride.” Straight apathy, maybe? Straight disillusionment may even be more apt.

But to claim nonally straight people are deserving of their own celebration when they are the cause of the pain of so many they willingly hurt? Well, that is straight-up lunacy.

Old 06-30-2021, 07:50 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,242,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
He sounds mentally ill.

Old 06-30-2021, 07:57 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The truth at the bottom of the article.

The mission of Pride has always been political: to shed light on issues affecting our communities, to organize and even to celebrate each other. This must continue.

I guess that means straight people are not allowed to shed light on our issues... and we are not allowed to organize and celebrate each other. Because...

So, no, you do not get “straight pride.” Straight apathy, maybe? Straight disillusionment may even be more apt.

But to claim nonally straight people are deserving of their own celebration when they are the cause of the pain of so many they willingly hurt? Well, that is straight-up lunacy.
lunacy=wanting to be patronized for simply "being who they are".
If that's who they really are, then all the awkward shameless pandering should be insulting.
Can't understand why any minority group would agree to that.

Old 06-30-2021, 08:02 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Can't understand why any minority group would agree to that.
They don't in a monolithic fashion. I'm gay and don't care about gay pride month or pride parades in the slightest. While I do want to be treated equally in society and will advocate for causes that result in that end, I don't derive my sense of identity through any sort of political association with other gay people.

Old 06-30-2021, 08:02 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
When have straight people been discriminated against for housing, jobs, etc.?
When have straight people been fired for their sexual preference or gender identity?
When have straight people been called derogatory names?
When have straight people been made to feel ashamed of their sexual preference or gender identity?
When have straight people felt the need to hide or lie about their sexual preference or gender identity?
When have straight people been disowned or rejected by their families for their sexual preference or gender identity?

This sentence from the column sums it up succinctly:

Quote:
But to claim nonally straight people are deserving of their own celebration when they are the cause of the pain of so many they willingly hurt?
So just shut up about straight pride. We straight people don't need it. Every month is straight pride month, because we face no rejection from society based on our sexual preferences. What we do need is to shut up and listen to LGBT folks.

Old 06-30-2021, 08:03 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The thing is buddy, straight pride does matter just like gay pride does but straight people do not feel the need to march around and tell the world by getting into our faces. The majority of us do not care how others live their lives as long as it does not affect ours in a detrimental way.

The same goes for black lives matter. Of course all lives matter so why do we need to lift one group above all others?

You can scream if you want, that is your Right but it is my Right to ignore you and move on with my life.
BLM isn’t about lifting a group over another. Its about lifting a group up to be treated like all the others.

and straight people have tons of pride. We wear wedding bands, some of us out in public, we post photos and brag about anniversaries or weddings.

We don’t think anything of it because its normal. When you walk in and ask for a wedding cake there is no part of you that thinks a bakery would refuse your money because your wife is blonde or older…

but it does happen to gay couples.

I think its odd when people say discriminatory things to certain groups (not saying you do but CD has a rep for bashing gay folks) and then wonder why they have a movement to prop their group up or have pride in themselves.

Old 06-30-2021, 08:05 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times
Nucking futs.

Old 06-30-2021, 08:23 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
BLM isn’t about lifting a group over another. Its about lifting a group up to be treated like all the others.

To be treated like others, you must behave like others.

Blacks create a disproportionate amount of violent crime. So naturally, police, and non-black civilians, are more wary of blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies