Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 09:54 AM

10,512 posts, read 5,184,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
That is because people who lost those jobs initially went on to find other jobs that paid better. It is not due to unemployment. The reality is that places that treat people poorly or that may pay $18 but keep your hours low so as not to pay benefits will be less appealing than places willing to offer full-time schedules with decent benefits.

Correct, this is what the labor data is showing -- many people are coming off of UI are using the labor shortage to shop around for better jobs. It's nice to see labor have the upper hand far a change. For 30 years now national productivity has gone way up while wages were mostly stagnant. America deserves a raise (but not the overpaid CEO's).

Old 07-02-2021, 09:59 AM

17,021 posts, read 12,627,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
In our community box stores start at 15 and did before pandemic.
Interesting because I am in NJ. The 13ish is not up all that much here. Note not a booming area like DC or Austin or...

Old 07-02-2021, 10:49 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,527,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Not all jobs are made to be living off of nor have they ever been.
Agree. And what some people fail to realize is that many of these low-income jobs provide a nice “add-on” to a young couple’s combined HHI, and move them from the struggling lower class to a decent lower-middle class.

Say, the husband earns $17 an hour, or $34,000 a year. Now add in the wife, working 25 hours a week at McD at $16 an hour, or an extra $20,000. Now the couple is at $54,000 - and able to rent their own apartment.

Old 07-02-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Correct, this is what the labor data is showing -- many people are coming off of UI are using the labor shortage to shop around for better jobs. It's nice to see labor have the upper hand far a change. For 30 years now national productivity has gone way up while wages were mostly stagnant. America deserves a raise (but not the overpaid CEO's).
Most people who provide jobs are not overpaid CEOs. They are small owners, bringing home between $50,000 - $100,000, after employing four or five people with work, only one of whom is at minimum wage. If the liberals win their attempt to force higher minimum pay, it reverberates all the way up, and many businesses will fail.

Now, liberals will often say “so....then they don’t deserve to be in business” (there’s a bit of snark toward motivated, industrious people who start their own little companies), but then what? Small businesses employ most of the people. All you’d do is limit the availability of jobs, and have more people dependent on the government.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:15 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,033,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
The wages being advertised are quite high for unskilled work - and signs advertising $18 an hour for grocery clerks and counter help is common. (I saw an ad for $16 an hour for waitresses - and tips were on top of that!)

Obviously, businesses currently have to compete with the federal government, who is “paying” people around $15 an hour to do nothing. So even if a business advertises $18, people still won’t take it because they figure they’re only earning $3 an hour.

Clearly, this can’t continue. Inflation is taking off, and it”s everywhere. Businesses overpaying workers will either have to keep raising prices to make a profit or just go out of business if they can’t get customers. So, once the government stops handing out the perverse incentive to refuse to work, will people then go back into the job market, thereby changing the supply:demand ratio, and wages drop back down?
Absolutely nothing has shown people are staying home for unemployment.

Just like nothing has shown states cutting UE have seen more jobs taken.

The wage increases are likely permanent. People are tired of working for peanuts. I start people at $20/hr. $17/hr should be minimum. I don’t get out of bed for under $60/hr.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post

The wage increases are likely permanent. People are tired of working for peanuts. I start people at $20/hr. $17/hr should be minimum. I don’t get out of bed for under $60/hr.
And then you’ll drive job-providing businesses - millions of them - out of business, and there will be millions fewer jobs around for people with no real skills or education. Then you’ll have even MORE non-productive people on government dependence. Is that honestly what liberals are aiming for here? Seems like it.

Also, the average HHI is in the 60s. According to you, the MINIMUM HHI income should $68,000. That means the average would be in the 80s or 90s. You will crash the entire country. Small businesses, the backbone of this country, will fold.

And woopie for you that you don’t work for less than $60 an hour. That just means you’re a liberal elitist who is completely out of touch.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:33 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,558,195 times
Quote:
Not working at all is not the same thing as telecommuting.

Also depends on the age of the children. Now with the tax “credit,” women who had been working part-time for $1500 a month while their three middle school and high school kids were in class, can now just stay home and collect the $1000 “payment” for children - paid for by other people.

This is not a good thing. Because no matter how you cut it, the reason these mothers decided to drop out of the work force and just stay home is because OTHER PEOPLE are giving her money....including single people with more modest incomes.

Seems pretty clear.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:

I'm currently offering $30/hr for help with yard work and getting my home ready for sale. NO TAKERS! At least in my town, nobody wants to work!

Old 07-02-2021, 11:40 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,033,794 times
Quote:
And then you’ll drive job-providing businesses - millions of them - out of business, and there will be millions fewer jobs around for people with no real skills or education. Then you’ll have even MORE non-productive people on government dependence. Is that honestly what liberals are aiming for here? Seems like it.

Also, the average HHI is in the 60s. According to you, the MINIMUM HHI income should $68,000. That means the average would be in the 80s or 90s. You will crash the entire country. Small businesses, the backbone of this country, will fold.

And woopie for you that you don’t work for less than $60 an hour. That just means you’re a liberal elitist who is completely out of touch.
Oh please. Save the claim workers need to support poorly run businesses by subsidizing them with accepting slave wages.

If the businesses can’t pay workers livable wages they shouldn’t be in business. I see it in construction all the time; contractors that just don’t know how to price things or bill properly. They can learn or get out of the way.
I pay kids less than 25 yrs old with a couple years experience $35/hr. No shortage of work or problems paying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
I'm currently offering $30/hr for help with yard work and getting my home ready for sale. NO TAKERS! At least in my town, nobody wants to work!
You can’t find professionals for that or kids? If you’re looking for professionals I’m not surprised. Those rates these days are $50+

Old 07-02-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Oh please. Save the claim workers need to support poorly run businesses by subsidizing them with accepting slave wages.

If the businesses can’t pay workers livable wages they shouldn’t be in business. I see it in construction all the time; contractors that just don’t know how to price things or bill properly. They can learn or get out of the way.
I pay kids less than 25 yrs old with a couple years experience $35/hr. No shortage of work or problems paying it.

You can’t find professionals for that or kids? If you’re looking for professionals I’m not surprised. Those rates these days are $50+

I don't need landscapers for pulling weeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies