Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 09:48 AM

27,559 posts, read 13,771,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It wasn't just the Catholic Church -- other churches/religions also operated residential schools.

And they represent colonization/ (they being the monarchy)
And the govt. was most definitely complicit in taking the children out of their homes.

Maybe do some more reading before you step into something you know nothing about.
The Canadians were a dominion and largely ran their own affairs.

On July 1, 1867, with passage of the British North America Act, the Dominion of Canada was officially established as a self-governing entity within the British Empire.

The monarchy has been protestant since the Glorious Revolution 1688, which took place from 1688 to 1689 in England. It involved the overthrow of the Catholic king James II, who was replaced by his Protestant daughter Mary and her Dutch husband, William of Orange (William III).

The British Monarch is only responsible for the Church of England and Anglican faith, and not other religions, and I don't think there was any abuse by the Anglican Church in Canada.

Anglican Church of Canada -Wikipedia

The Queen is Head of the Church of England, whilst the most senior cleric is the Archbishop of Canterbury, who resides at Lambeth Palace in London.

The Palace has just had a new fortress looking library built in order to house, the most important and extensive religious archive in Europe after the Vatican.

Given that Canada was self Governing at the time and monarchy had nothing to do with the Catholic Church, it seems a bit strange to attack statues of them.

Still lets not get in the way of morons pulling things down and destroying history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

A dangerous-looking porcupine scuttles across the bottom of a page of a medieval manuscript, amid scenes of fire-breathing dragons, bodies bubbling in cauldrons, and boats deluged by biblical floods. Known as the Lambeth Apocalypse , this 13th-century illuminated text is one of the lurid highlights of the magnificent collection of Lambeth Palace Library , the most important religious archive in the UK and the largest in Europe, after the Vatican in Rome.

For centuries, this precious hoard has been kept in a series of leaky, draughty rooms in the palace, gradually filling up every cramped corner. Now, after 400 years, it finally has a purpose-built home – and it’s safe to say that, if the apocalypse ever comes to south London, this fortified building will probably survive it.

Guarding the apocalypse: inside the fortress of the new Lambeth Palace Library - The Guardian (December 2020)

Visit Lambeth Palace | The Archbishop of Canterbury

Church of England - Wikipedia

Anglican Communion - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-02-2021 at 10:44 AM..

Old 07-02-2021, 10:04 AM

20,080 posts, read 9,610,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Glad this wasn't burned, aren't you? This is what we need to know.

Attachment 230382

Queen Nazi salute film
I thought it has been well-established the Duke of Windsor (the former Edward VIII) was a Nazi sympathizer. At least I have come across that allegation/fact in numerous books and articles I have read, and there are many websites that assert that.

However, just because the Duke of Windsor was a Nazi sympathizer (and the following link is a very interesting story about that) does not mean that his niece was! In fact, from my reading, I gather that Elizabeth II hated almost everything about her uncle. And she certainly cannot be blamed for something that she did when she was about seven years old -- and especially when it seems that she was put up to it by someone else!

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...rd-hitler-nazi

Excerpt from the above article, my italics:

As depicted on The Crown, Nazi officials are said to have concocted a 1940 plan to kidnap the Duke of Windsor and re-install him as a puppet leader after invading Britain. The strategy was formed three years after the Duke and Duchess of Windsor visited Nazi Germany as guests of Adolf Hitler at Berchtesgaden—a visit which proved to be embarrassing to Edward’s brother King George VI and, according to The New York Times, “confirm[ed] Hitler’s view that the Duke of Windsor was an advocate of the Nazi cause and could be of future use.”

The kidnapping strategy, according to The Guardian, was uncovered when the U.K. intercepted telegrams from Germany. While the plot obviously was not successful, Winston Churchill worked frantically to bury evidence of the telegrams after discovering that a copy of the documents had been sent to the U.S. State Department. [snip]

According to since-released state documents, Eisenhower agreed with Churchill, determining that the telegrams were “obviously concocted with some idea of promoting German propaganda and weakening western resistance.” Among the telegrams’ claims was the idea that the duke and duchess were told about Nazi Germany’s plot to re-install the duke as king. [snip]

The telegrams also contained statements allegedly made by the Duke of Windsor, one stating that the former king was “convinced that had he remained on throne war would have been avoided” [snip] Another telegram stated that the “Duke believes with certainty that continued heavy bombing will make England ready for peace.” (When the telegrams came to light in 1957, the Duke of Windsor declared their contents to be “complete fabrications.”)

[end excerpt]

Last edited by katharsis; 07-02-2021 at 10:24 AM..

Old 07-02-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I thought it has been well-established the Duke of Windsor (the former Edward VIII) was a Nazi sympathizer. At least I have come across that allegation/fact in numerous books and articles I have read, and there are many websites that assert that.

However, just because the Duke of Windsor was a Nazi sympathizer (and the following link is a very interesting story about that) does not mean that his niece was! In fact, from my reading, I gather that Elizabeth II hated almost everything about her uncle. And she certainly cannot be blamed for something that she did when she was about seven years old -- and especially when it seems that she was put up to it by someone else!

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...rd-hitler-nazi

Excerpt from the above article, my italics:

As depicted on The Crown, Nazi officials are said to have concocted a 1940 plan to kidnap the Duke of Windsor and re-install him as a puppet leader after invading Britain. The strategy was formed three years after the Duke and Duchess of Windsor visited Nazi Germany as guests of Adolf Hitler at Berchtesgaden—a visit which proved to be embarrassing to Edward’s brother King George VI and, according to The New York Times, “confirm[ed] Hitler’s view that the Duke of Windsor was an advocate of the Nazi cause and could be of future use.”

The kidnapping strategy, according to The Guardian, was uncovered when the U.K. intercepted telegrams from Germany. While the plot obviously was not successful, Winston Churchill worked frantically to bury evidence of the telegrams after discovering that a copy of the documents had been sent to the U.S. State Department. [snip]

According to since-released state documents, Eisenhower agreed with Churchill, determining that the telegrams were “obviously concocted with some idea of promoting German propaganda and weakening western resistance.” Among the telegrams’ claims was the idea that the duke and duchess were told about Nazi Germany’s plot to re-install the duke as king. [snip]

The telegrams also contained statements allegedly made by the Duke of Windsor, one stating that the former king was “convinced that had he remained on throne war would have been avoided” [snip] Another telegram stated that the “Duke believes with certainty that continued heavy bombing will make England ready for peace.” (When the telegrams came to light in 1957, the Duke of Windsor declared their contents to be “complete fabrications.”)

[end excerpt]
I wouldn't use The Crown as a historical resource however the Duke of Windsor was not well liked and abdicated from the throne in 1936, and was replaced by his brother King George VI, who was portrayed in the film The King's Speech.

King George VI's real name was Albert Frederick Arthur George Windsor, however Albert was deemed to Germanic at the time, so he used George instead, although he was known as Bertie by loved ones.

Old 07-02-2021, 10:19 AM

20,080 posts, read 9,610,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I wouldn't use The Crown as a historical resource .
Well, of course not!! That was a Vanity Fair article that used The Crown episode as a kind of lead-in!

Old 07-02-2021, 10:21 AM

1,745 posts, read 967,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It wasn't just the Catholic Church -- other churches/religions also operated residential schools.

And they represent colonization/ (they being the monarchy)
And the govt. was most definitely complicit in taking the children out of their homes.

Maybe do some more reading before you step into something you know nothing about.
Canada has had a democratically elected government, put in place every few years by the voters, since 1867. It’s been a very long time since Canada was a colony. The monarchy has/had nothing to do with the horrendous abuse that apparently happened at many of those schools. The elected governments of the day are the ones responsible (other than those that actually committed the abuse themselves, of course)

Old 07-02-2021, 10:28 AM

3,765 posts, read 1,464,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Not sure what Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth II have to do with atrocities carried out by the Catholic Church.

Still don't let that get in the way of aimlessly smashing things and pulling things down.

Canada's Trudeau slams Catholic Church over Indigenous deaths -DW
The British empire were at odds with Rome for centuries. During the 19th century. The British government allowed Roman church to do missionary work within its British domains. The catholic church would work with existing catholic populations within the British empire and with native people in places like Africa and British colonies in the mainland Canada, guyana and Belize, also Australia and New Zealand. British wanted to spread the word of christ on many native people across its empire. Strange thing is that thr British people and government do not like catholics. British government again allowed catholic missionaries to do work in its empire.

Old 07-02-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
The British empire were at odds with Rome for centuries. During the 19th century. The British government allowed Roman church to do missionary work within its British domains. The catholic church would work with existing catholic populations within the British empire and with native people in places like Africa and British colonies in the mainland Canada, guyana and Belize, also Australia and New Zealand. British wanted to spread the word of christ on many native people across its empire.

There is a long history when it comes to the Catholic religion and Protestant religion in the UK, and a lot of it is not very pleasant.

It's roots lie with Henry VIII who replaced Catholicism with the Protestant faith, and fell out with Rome.

The break with Rome was effected by a series of Acts of Parliament passed between 1532 and 1534, among them the 1534 Act of Supremacy, which declared that Henry was the "Supreme Head on earth of the Church of England".

English Reformation - Wikipedia

Church of England - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-02-2021 at 10:44 AM..

Old 07-02-2021, 10:43 AM

1,745 posts, read 967,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
This one didn't get burned either:

I think one could likely find a lot of photos of that hand gesture. And taken out of context, one could claim it's a Nazi thing, couldn't one?

Let me ask you this: had your parents or grandparents taught you that hand gesture, would you then immediately be a full-on Nazi? Hitler Youth Corp and all?
I remember my mom telling me that when she was a girl attending school in the 1930’s, they started the pledge of allegiance with their hand on their heart ( like we do today), but after saying “ I pledge allegiance, to the flag….” they would thrust their right arm out in what today people would consider a Nazi salute. This type of “salute” predates the Nazis and I believe is called a Roman salute, as it was thought this was a Roman practice. You can see this in movies set in Ancient Rome, where someone says “Hail Caesar” and gives the Roman salute.

To imply anyone in the Royal Family were Nazis or Nazi sympathizers because of that one photo is ludicrous. It just shows total ignorance of history.

Old 07-02-2021, 10:55 AM

6,761 posts, read 6,793,723 times
The "royal" family is just a long history of people having sex with cousins and spitting out awful inbred children. I'm not sure the medieval tourist trap will survive King Chuck and I don't think Lizzie is either. Canada should do something useful for the first time in its history - take down the statues and become a republic.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:15 AM

3,678 posts, read 1,638,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Not my country; not my problem.
The USA also had boarding schools, well over 100 in about 28 states. I don't know if there are graves but many children died at these schools:

Quote:
Native American boarding schools, also known as Indian Residential Schools, were established in the United States during the early 19th and mid 20th centuries with a primary objective of "civilizing" or assimilating Native American children and youth into Euro-American culture.

Using military personnel and Indian prisoners, boarding schools were seen as a means for the government to achieve assimilation of Native Americans into mainstream American culture. Assimilation efforts included forcibly removing Native Americans from their families, converting them to Christianity, preventing them from learning or practicing indigenous culture and customs, and living in a strict military fashion.

...students were forced to give up their tribal clothing and their hair was cut. Second, "to instill the necessary discipline, the entire school routine was organized in martial fashion, and every facet of student life followed a strict timetable".

The overcrowding of the schools contributed to the rapid spread of disease within the schools. "An often-underpaid staff provided irregular medical care. And not least, apathetic boarding school officials frequently failed to heed their own directions calling for the segregation of children in poor health from the rest of the student body". Tuberculosis was especially deadly among students. Many children died while in custody at Indian Schools

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...ease_and_death
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies