Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 08:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,308,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Biden is going to grab a big chunk of that money when he brought back the inheritance tax that Trump did away with . The government will get very rich taking what should go to the heirs.
Great. Absolutely wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 09:29 PM

26,096 posts, read 13,088,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Traditional IRA withdrawals are taxed as regular income. The boomers who are leaving their wealth to their children in the coming decades all started with traditional IRAs. The Roths came much later so represent less of a boomer's portfolio.
We've been converting every year since I became semi-retired and my income began to fall. I also rolled some pension cash into Roth.

529, healthcare savings accounts (HSA's), and Roth's are the best ways to save the grow wealth we've found.

We've also set up 2 trust for our heir, and are gifting the max annually. Of course, we have a will and living will too. And, we moved to FLA. The gov't is going to get bread crumbs from our wealth transfer.

Old 07-03-2021, 06:35 AM

19,973 posts, read 9,530,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The gov't is going to get bread crumbs from our wealth transfer.
I've said this before, but I wouldn't mind the government getting a certain percentage of our earnings so much if so much of it wasn't going places that I strongly disapprove of.

For that reason, we are now doing whatever we can do legally to limit the government's share and 90% of our estate will go to one or more charities after we die. I would much rather support a cause I believe in than those causes I don't!

Old 07-03-2021, 07:22 AM

14,267 posts, read 7,002,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
We've been converting every year since I became semi-retired and my income began to fall. I also rolled some pension cash into Roth.

529, healthcare savings accounts (HSA's), and Roth's are the best ways to save the grow wealth we've found.

We've also set up 2 trust for our heir, and are gifting the max annually. Of course, we have a will and living will too. And, we moved to FLA. The gov't is going to get bread crumbs from our wealth transfer.
That is a good plan. Unfortunately, timing didn't work out for me to be able to transfer to Roth without incurring extra income tax myself.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:15 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,450,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
NOTE: The thread title is a direct quote from an article from The Wall Street Journal published today: https://www.wsj.com/articles/older-a...py-11625234216

Excerpts from above linked article, my italics and bold:

[i]At the end of this year’s first quarter, Americans age 70 and above had a net worth of nearly $35 trillion, according to Federal Reserve data. That amounts to 27% of all U.S. wealth, up from 20% three decades ago. Their wealth is equal to 157% of U.S. gross domestic product, more than double the proportion 30 years ago, federal data show.

Now they have started parceling it out to their heirs and others, unleashing a torrent of economic activity including buying homes, starting businesses and giving to charity. [snip]

Older generations will hand down some $70 trillion between 2018 and 2042, according to research and consulting firm Cerulli Associates. Roughly $61 trillion will go to heirs—increasingly millennials and Generation Xers—with the balance going to philanthropy. [snip]

This totally explains why the democrats want to start taxing inheritances. They should leave that money alone, it has already been taxed several times.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:18 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,450,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You are disgusting. You have no right to other’s money. Much of the money has already been taxed. What makes you so high and mighty that you think you are entitled to more? You have an entitlement mentality. Earn you own keep.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:24 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,931,760 times
Quote:
And under Trump, the IRA inheritance rules were changed so the person inheriting it has to withdraw all the money within 10 years... adding to their earned income for each of those years. That will put many into a much higher income tax bracket.
Yeah, Trump’s giant death tax is going to come as a surprise to many. Under the old rules, you could have a pretty significant balance and if the RMD was calculated on a 25+ year expected additional life span, it was still pretty easy to minimize taxes on it. A 10 year draw down, not so much.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:43 AM

2,367 posts, read 915,858 times
That's what some Democrats are claiming is inequitable that blacks have less inheritance money than whites to transfer to their own. So inheritance contributes to the wealth gap along racial lines.

I think actually by the time a person receives inheritance, he is already middle aged, past the age of innovation. That money will only help toward a more comfortable retirement or pay off debts. That's not an investment.

Family money makes the most difference for young people when there is a future to invest in. And I find Asians do that very well.

Old 07-03-2021, 10:01 AM

33,601 posts, read 18,249,377 times
Quote:
Traditional IRA withdrawals are taxed as regular income. The boomers who are leaving their wealth to their children in the coming decades all started with traditional IRAs. The Roths came much later so represent less of a boomer's portfolio.
The traditional Roth IRA's have been around for quite a while. They can change the traditional to a Roth and many have.

Old 07-03-2021, 10:03 AM

33,601 posts, read 18,249,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Awww. you need a dollar from somebody else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies