Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 05:03 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,335,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I thought responsible gun owners kept their guns locked up. How did they get stolen so easily?
Quote:
But I didn't get my answer. (I just didn't reference the criminals in my post because my question was about something else. I am glad the criminals were caught. )

I keep hearing about responsible gun owners, and anyone should legally be able to buy a gun. But crime happens with illegally obtained guns. So here is a case where we can assume the guns were purchased legally and then stolen. Shouldn't the guns have been locked up?
changes the topic, trying to score political points, and then claims innocence.

show us where people said ANYONE should legally be able to buy a gun.

Minors.
Illegal immigrants.
Tourists on Visas.
Felons.
People in prison for crimes committed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 05:17 PM

24,898 posts, read 13,254,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Arrested is not good enough. After these Illegal Alien Criminals are apprehended - the Sheriff’s office must contact ICE to take custody of them. ICE is not allowed to take custody without special permission and they rarely get thst permission, so the Sherriff must hold them with no resources in these small counties) or let them go.. ICE is now averaging ONE Arrest, every TWO MONTHS.

Texas sheriffs sue Biden administration over immigration policy barring deportations
Complaint alleges administration has enticed criminal immigrants to come into the US without fear of reprisal - July 2021

Four Texas sheriffs, their counties, and ICE representatives have sued President Biden and officials as the Department of Homeland Security for preventing federal officers from deporting illegal immigrants with criminal backgrounds.

Kinney, Edwards, McMullen and Hudspeth counties along with the Federal Police Foundation—which represents ICE officers – filed a complaint Thursday calling on the Biden administration to allow ICE officials to do their job.

The complaint alleges the decision by then-acting DHS Secretary David Pekoske on Jan. 20 temporarily paused deportations and enticed criminal immigrants to come into the U.S. without fear of reprisal.

"The ICE officers involved in this case are absolutely astounded at what their superiors are asking them to do: releasing people charged with rape of a child, releasing people charged with dealing drugs and resisting arrest," Kris Kobach, the former Kansas secretary of state and the lead attorney for the plaintiffs, told the Washington Examiner Friday. "These are really serious criminals, and ICE is being ordered by the political leadership of the Biden administration to turn them loose."

On Feb. 18, acting ICE Director Tae Johnson issued a memo directing ICE officials to hold off on taking illegal immigrants into custody without first getting the permission of ICE leadership.

The only instances when an illegal immigrant can be taken into custody otherwise is if they are a known or suspected terrorist, entered the country before the 2020 presidential election, have been convicted of an aggregated felony, or are part of a criminal gang, the Washington, D.C.-based publication noted.

ICE’s approximately 6,000 officers were reported to be averaging one arrest every two months. (Washington Post, “Biden administration reins in street-level enforcement by ICE as officials try to refocus agency mission,” May 25, 2021, available at https://archive.is/NeSHE#selection- 33.0-333.104). This compares to an average of 8,634 arrests per month by ICE in FY 2020. ICE Annual Report, FY 2020 at 5 (showing 103,603 administrative arrests for the year) (available at: https://www.ice.gov/doclib/news/library/reports/annual- report/iceReportFY2020.pdf). Court Filing

Bottom Line — We are either a Nation of Law and order , with Defined & Secure Borders

OR

We are not a Nation at all.

Which will it be? Choose wisely and consider the ramifications of choice. Are we a Nation? or Not?
""These are really serious criminals, and ICE is being ordered by the political leadership of the Biden administration to turn them loose.""

Why are Biden* voters/supporters fine with that?

Old 07-03-2021, 05:45 PM

18,011 posts, read 15,732,552 times
Quote:
But I didn't get my answer. (I just didn't reference the criminals in my post because my question was about something else. I am glad the criminals were caught. )

I keep hearing about responsible gun owners, and anyone should legally be able to buy a gun. But crime happens with illegally obtained guns. So here is a case where we can assume the guns were purchased legally and then stolen. Shouldn't the guns have been locked up?
Not just "anyone" can legally purchase a firearm. Convicted felons, anyone convicted of felony or misdemeanor domestic violence charges, adjudicated mentally ill will not pass the background check. As to whether or not the firearms in question should have been locked up perhaps. I'm sure the homeowner is looking into that but did not the illegals "break into" the home? The firearms WERE behind a security barrier which the border jumpers defeated.

At any rate the homeowner is not to blame. The border jumpers were. I wonder if they will now be released after being given a court date and promising to appear. Yeah, I'm sure they'll be there with bells on.

Old 07-03-2021, 05:59 PM

23,820 posts, read 24,242,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
too many guns uncared for easy ti steal maybe
If I go over to your house, and I see a $100 bill on the counter, and I take that bill while you're in the bathroom, who's responsible for the theft?

Old 07-03-2021, 06:00 PM

45,436 posts, read 26,706,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
too many guns uncared for easy ti steal maybe
Victim blaming, irrational.

Old 07-03-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
You know, sometimes a question is just a question. Not trying to score political points or anything else. And yes, I can claim innocence on this topic because I have never lived in an area that is immersed in "gun culture." Others answered respectfully about a locked house being sufficient.

BTW, I have given you rep points on several other threads I may hesitate next time.

Since you are as you say "innocent" as to this topic there are some other things you might appreciate being made aware of. There is no separate "gun culture." People in the US who own and use firearms fo vaious legal purposes represent a great many cultures. Firearms are a tool, not an object that defines any one culture. Firearms are a part of certain American cultures such as my own as a Western ranch born and bred person.

Firearms are a tool ubiquitous to my culture as such a person. We have great need of them as means to defend our stock against predators and ourselves as well. More than once in the course of my life I have had to defend myself against four legged assailants. Feral dogs and mountain lions specifically. Folks who own firearms that live in cities have a radically different culture from my own and their concerns are more about two legged varmints. The same can be said of suburbanites. These two legged varmints which I call "bipreds" are also a concern for we rural folks as well as evidenced by the topic of this thread.

But there is no such thing as a specific "gun culture." I actually dislike the term "guns" though I am guilty of having used it I freely admit. Working on rectifying that. Either "firearm" or "weapon" is what I prefer. Rifle and pistol also work when being specific though in reality and being technical a "pistol" refers to a self loader and "revolver" for that class of firearm. Anyway, just bear in mind that there is no such animal as "gun culture." That's a fanciful term made up by hoplophobes which means "having an irrational fear of firearms and firearms owners." It was coined by a man named Jeff Cooper who is famous fo his work as a firearms instructor and author on the topic of firearms. He was a retired Colonel, USMC and is still a revered figure to those of us who took shooting and firearms in competition and for defense very seriously. Though that should not be construed as being any sort of "culture."

I put this all down as it is people such as yourself that I feel we who own and use firearms for legal and needed purpose need to enlighten on the subject. Lest you fall prey to the absolute nonsense that the hoplophobes spew uncontrollably as to firearms and we the people who's lives involve both the sport of shooting and the practical defensive applications of it as well. You see the hoplophobes hurl vomitous notions and attempt to sound as if they actually know what they are talking about. Terms like "semi automatic revolver" semi automatic assault rifle" "assault pistol" and the nonsensical capabilities they lend to certain firearms. Such as the AR 15s "ability to use military ammunition." Yes, indeed the rifle is capable of that however "military ammunition" is the least destructive type of ammunition there is. A little meeting of minds after WW1 called the Hauge Accords saw to this. They also love to carry on about the ability to fire hundreds of rounds in mere seconds as if a semi auto rifle or pistol is somehow the equal of a General Electric Mini Gun which is the only weapon that can do that. And it is mounted on helicopters and armored vehicles.

There are also rotary cannons in 20 and 30 mm chambering that can do that but the word "cannon" applies. And you wont find anything like that at Cabela's. Noe anything that is full automatic i.e. machine guns and true "assault rifles." Oh dea, so sorry I have carried on haven't I. But I and most anyone like me you will find happy to answer any question you may have. I bid you adieu Miss. (At least I think you're a Miss) do correct me if I am in error.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Thank you for a very thoughtful and informative post. I read every word!

You're quite welcome. There is another thing I can recommend you might do if you are genuinely interested in learning more about the subject of firearms and the people who own and use them. Do a web search for a shooting club in your area and look for competition events they sponsor. Attend one of these events as a spectator and just mingle with the people there. Ask questions, tell them you came to learn what they are all about. You will find the people very receptive, non judgmental, friendly, and very happy to answer your questions.

Verily you will be hard pressed to find better folks. For spectatorship you might consider an action event such as steel plates, bowling pins and such. LOL, a Bullseye match is about the most boring thing to just watch. Much as I love that discipline that's the truth of it. But if your time permits attending a shooting competition is about the best way to learn about firearms and the people who own and use them there is.

Old 07-04-2021, 03:21 PM

10,734 posts, read 4,216,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Where's your proof that many if not most of them are paying guards to let them in? And no, Trump's walls can't be tunneled under. Walls are a huge deterrant and the good Trump ones on our border are 90% effective in deterring illegal entry. Complete them and we'd have illegal immigration way down.
Unless these walls go down 100 feet, then it's very easy to tunnel under them. My understanding is that they already discovered many tunnels, big enough to fit cars through. They start in some Mexico city and end up in a California garage.

And there are tunnels all over the deserts in America. We even got cities hidden deep underground, and don't forget the CIA is famous for helping to fund the war on drugs with these tunnels.

Old 07-04-2021, 03:51 PM

63,516 posts, read 29,576,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Unless these walls go down 100 feet, then it's very easy to tunnel under them. My understanding is that they already discovered many tunnels, big enough to fit cars through. They start in some Mexico city and end up in a California garage.

And there are tunnels all over the deserts in America. We even got cities hidden deep underground, and don't forget the CIA is famous for helping to fund the war on drugs with these tunnels.
No, it isn't as they have built in tunnel sensors. The tunnels you are referring to were built under the old walls not Trump's walls.

Old 07-04-2021, 03:57 PM

10,734 posts, read 4,216,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, it isn't as they have built in tunnel sensors. The tunnels you are referring to were built under the old walls not Trump's walls.
There is no such thing as tunnel sensors unless they are actually in tunnels. This is why tunnels are underground because satellite feed nor infrared can see what is going underneath all of the dirt and bedrock.

And yes, I know people personally who have gotten across through these tunnels. I myself have crossed the borders and all I had to do was show an ID while friends of mine showed a fake one. They never even bothered to run it through a data base to see if it was legit or not. And you are forgetting, the CIA and FBI run everything and they don't work for you or me. If they want these illegals in here, they are coming in if you like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies