Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 07:56 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,715,560 times

Advertisements

Given the actions of some of the school boards in Virginia such as Loudoun County, this really isn't a surprise.

Old 07-04-2021, 08:04 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,512,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I read the link. Northam didn't call teachers racists, although the text in the link forced that conclusion.

Apparently he spoke about how Virginia schools have systemic (structural) racism. That's in the curriculum, not automatically in the people. To jump to the conclusion that Northam accused teachers of being racist is a bit of leap, but it's surely a partisan behavior to want to exaggerate stories about the "other side."

Look I don't even know what "critical race theory" is and I'm betting most people who are opposing it are just jumping on a bandwagon of soundbites and memes. But, the school system I attended in Maryland, certainly left out a LOT of negative historical events in my education. To think that I had to learn about some terrible things as almost a senior is ridiculous.

I do think that education could be more even-handed with U.S. history and well as civics. It has not been. To oppose making it more factual in schools might say something about a person. If you oppose teaching curriculum that discusses the Tulsa Massacre and Jim Crow laws, does that make you a racist?
Nope. According to Northam, official state policy deems one a racist if they aren’t allies. It’s one or the other - either you submit to the nonsense sweeping the liberal school districts, or you will be considered an ENEMY.

As far as the Tulsa Massacre, if it’s skipped over, oh well. You can’t teach everything. Nobody ever taught that Grant wanted to expel Jews from three states, either. You teach the main stuff, like slavery and the Holocaust. Some incidents are bound to fall by the wayside, in the interest of time.

And that’s because is limited with these students, and many are failing miserably. In Baltimore, not a single student passed math. Now you would rather teach black students to resent whites, and feel oppressed, rather than teaching them basic academics so they can get a job?

Sorry, but teaching about the Tulsa Massacre isn’t the most important thing. The most important thing is to teach kids skills and knowledge that will enable them to work, or to compete for a college seat.

P.S. and it’s not just about teaching historical events. It’s about teaching that this country was, and STILL is, systemically racist and designed to protect white supremacists. You are downplaying the evil behind the CRT goal.

Old 07-04-2021, 08:16 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,512,524 times
Imagine having a governor of a state saying that its schools are systemically racist. Shame on him. There is no systemic racism, unless of course you mean the state colleges that favor blacks over whites for admission when the former have worse academics.

Old 07-04-2021, 08:43 AM

1,941 posts, read 828,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Excellent! Did you think of that?
No but the truth needs to be spread far and wide.

Old 07-04-2021, 08:45 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Isn't he the racist guy who wears blackface? Has he gone nuts?

Old 07-04-2021, 08:46 AM

1,941 posts, read 828,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yeah all by themselves -- oh and the conservative propaganda media -- but you go ahead an think it is only liberals shoving ideas down our throats.....
Funny thing is I was a moderate... until I was told I was a far right wing extremist.

Old 07-04-2021, 09:07 AM

31,088 posts, read 22,107,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I read the link. Northam didn't call teachers racists, although the text in the link forced that conclusion.

Apparently he spoke about how Virginia schools have systemic (structural) racism. That's in the curriculum, not automatically in the people. To jump to the conclusion that Northam accused teachers of being racist is a bit of leap, but it's surely a partisan behavior to want to exaggerate stories about the "other side."

Look I don't even know what "critical race theory" is and I'm betting most people who are opposing it are just jumping on a bandwagon of soundbites and memes. But, the school system I attended in Maryland, certainly left out a LOT of negative historical events in my education. To think that I had to learn about some terrible things as almost a senior is ridiculous.

I do think that education could be more even-handed with U.S. history and well as civics. It has not been. To oppose making it more factual in schools might say something about a person. If you oppose teaching curriculum that discusses the Tulsa Massacre and Jim Crow laws, does that make you a racist?
I'm all for teaching about all of America's Racist past, and in the present:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nafhanRZ4lc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcBQYApjSa4

Old 07-04-2021, 09:07 AM

296 posts, read 413,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northofnowhere View Post
Funny thing is I was a moderate... until I was told I was a far right wing extremist.
The polarization of America is brought to you by those who want to tear down our wonderful culture of success.

Old 07-04-2021, 09:10 AM

31,088 posts, read 22,107,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Isn't he the racist guy who wears blackface? Has he gone nuts?
Yep, another supposedly Liberal Black Facer exposed I'm really surprised that the Black Facers are Democrats or call themselves Liberal

Old 07-04-2021, 09:27 AM

10,033 posts, read 9,513,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Imagine having a governor of a state saying that its schools are systemically racist. Shame on him. There is no systemic racism, unless of course you mean the state colleges that favor blacks over whites for admission when the former have worse academics.
This must be a joke. I mean Governor Blackface making such an idiotic blanket statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies