Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 11:44 AM

29,920 posts, read 39,580,270 times

Advertisements

They’re coming and they’re prepared to twerk like never before!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 12:33 PM

36,961 posts, read 31,230,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You hear cicadas, you don't see them. I heard some last night.
You have never seen cicadas?

Old 07-06-2021, 02:16 PM

1,679 posts, read 1,802,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I don't know what is worse, blaming the lack of cicadas on racism or global warming? Both can certainly be the reason for the lack of bugs. I don't think it is segregation or redlining that did it but who knows. Leave it to a Lefty to slither through the weeds to emerge with some whacky theory about why city kids are not seeing cicadas.

Maybe the bugs got the word that cities are not the place to be due to Covid concerns, rising crime, shootouts in the streets, random assaults, the woke mob cancelling everything and the SJW's tearing down the rest and not to mention the defunding of Police. Who would want to visit a city? It turns out not even the bugs.
Sounds equally absurd as say many; our nation's debt deriving from 1 form of Welfare (impoverished Urbanites) oppose to various forms; write offs & corporations receiving great welfare handouts.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:29 PM

38,759 posts, read 22,561,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
there's absolutely nothing these woketards won't blame on 'racism'

even better, this clown thinks he'll need to invoke CRT in order to properly explain it to schookids.

When students ask why they haven’t seen cicadas, we need to talk about environmental racism
Laws targeting critical race theory shouldn’t keep teachers from giving children an honest answer

want to see cicadas? plant some trees, ya dimwit
Like a teacher named Joanne Barber. she says she uses the violent Black Lives Matter protests, ignited by the death of George Floyd last year, “to teach more about race” in her second-grade class. "I am willing to be that teacher that has those hard conversations.” She boasted that she injects "race and equity into every subject” and “every day" in her class "is filled with race education.”

Leftist Teachers Boast about Brainwashing Kids, Inject Race and 'Equity' into Lessons

and these:

Thousands Of Teachers Willing To Violate Law To Keep Pushing CRT

Old 07-06-2021, 02:43 PM

53,567 posts, read 35,279,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Now you're getting it. Anyone who thinks that urban renewal did not have racism overtones didn't know our recent history very well.

My apologies. You may have read the article, but you certainly did not understand it.

Which is his premise. Duh.
no it isn't. it's nebulous, non-existent 'raaaaaascism"

otherwise he's be clamoring for and spearheading tree-planting initiatives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You hear cicadas, you don't see them. I heard some last night.
you must not get out much. I saw tons of them in stillwater.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:44 PM

4,930 posts, read 3,393,437 times
Ironically, the media have been heavily pushing cicadas (and bugs in general) as the perfect food for some odd reason...

Old 07-06-2021, 03:18 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 26 days ago)

36,142 posts, read 18,424,220 times
The point of the article is specific to Indy, where like many cities, there is a toxic dumping ground right in the middle of where people of color live.

Same thing here, in Austin, off Montopolis and it took a heroic environmental effort to clean it back up, after decades of toxic waste dumping, an effort that's still ongoing, to restore healthy greenspace in East Austin. Similar to what you can find in west Austin, that has never been site a toxic dump.

Saying, "well grow some trees" is this generation's "let them eat cake".

The reason there aren't cicadas in the poorer parts of Indy, is because the brownfields. That don't exist in the wealthier sections.

And yes, it's because of racism.

Not a hard concept.

Old 07-06-2021, 04:49 PM

42,087 posts, read 75,644,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
As far as private Urban development, that happens because for financial reason and has absolutely nothing to do with the color of skin. Companies and developers might pull out of urban investments but it has ZERO to do with skin color.
Sure it's for financial reasons - because low-income black neighborhoods are less expensive to bulldoze and redevelop. Low-income people have fewer resources to fight city hall.

In 1960, the city of Cincinnati purchased and razed nearly every single property in the West End neighborhood of Kenyon-Barr. The West End was predominantly black and predominantly low income. The Kenyon Barr neighborhood had a population of more than 25,000. After forcing the residents and business owners to leave, the city then resold the properties to private developers, creating the commercial neighborhood of Queensgate, which mostly is concrete and warehouses - so likely fewer cicadas there, too.

Today, Queensgate has a population of about 150. More of the West End was destroyed in the 1960s to build I-75.

All of this was done under Republican leadership, by the way, starting in the late 40s with the city's master redevelopment plan. Before anyone goes blaming Democrats.

The story of Kenyon-Barr is an interesting one. If anyone's interested:

https://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/c...rr-queensgate/

https://beltmag.com/2020-cincinnati-...-displacement/

I'm not saying this hasn't happened in primarily white neighborhoods; of course it has. But "urban renewal", especially in the mid-century, seemed to target black communities.

I don't know as much about the history of urban renewal in Indianapolis. Perhaps someone with a more intimate knowledge of the city can chime in.

Old 07-06-2021, 04:56 PM

16,785 posts, read 8,283,545 times
I was driving down I-81 first week of June. The cicadas were so thick between Carlyle Pa and the First rest area in VA that I had to pull over one time to get all the guts off the window. Based on the noise, at the PGA event in Ohio (Jacks place) and what I drove through. They were in a relatively narrow band PA, MD, WV and northern VA.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:06 PM

10,145 posts, read 10,074,729 times
They're all dead at this point. You see them, you hear them, they'll fly into you, land on you, prune your trees for you, and when they die, you can smell them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies