Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 11:03 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,369,496 times

Advertisements

What role does the choices that women make have on the pay gap we sometimes hear about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaHImQT69Kg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 11:19 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,310 times
I've had this very same discussion with a very polite feminist.

I've pointed out career fields and academia pursuits. Majoring in Physics I've noticed a 90% of my classmates were Male with a greater number during grad school.

I will note a majority of the women trended towards Psychology, English, Art, etc more social science of which pay exponentially less in correlation to STEM counterparts.
Another very simple point..negotiation. Men appear prone to battling for a bit more in some form or another.

Two rudimentary points.

Old 07-07-2021, 11:50 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
If girls are growing up being told their primary purpose in life is being a submissive housewife, they aren't as likely to take education as seriously which has a snowball effect throughout their life.

It's a similar situation in the black community on a much larger scale. Because of the way our society is structured, certain people have built-in advantages over others.

Old 07-08-2021, 12:07 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,525,554 times
There is no pay gap. Discrimination based on sex is illegal.

There are of course different pay outcomes based on many variables.

Freakonomics radio did a good podcast on this topic using a study from University of Chicago using Uber data as the study. A system where no one knows what sex their driver is going to be. It shows that nearly all of the income differential is due to choices by women, mostly where and when to work. Colour me surprised!

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/wha...ender-pay-gap/

Old 07-08-2021, 12:07 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,369,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

If girls are growing up being told their primary purpose in life is being a submissive housewife, they aren't as likely to take education as seriously which has a snowball effect throughout their life.
How common is that thinking towards girls nowadays? Haven't we moved away from that traditional submissive housewife era?

Old 07-08-2021, 12:14 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
How common is that thinking towards girls nowadays? Haven't we moved away from that traditional submissive housewife era?
Foolishly yes.

Hence the overwhelming number of so-called masculine or independent women. Oddly a majority of them have a hard time cooking themselves. Inquire how many today own cookbooks- cookbooks simply to nourish their person.

Old 07-08-2021, 12:38 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,525,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
Foolishly yes.

Hence the overwhelming number of so-called masculine or independent women. Oddly a majority of them have a hard time cooking themselves. Inquire how many today own cookbooks- cookbooks simply to nourish their person.
Are you Male or Female?

Old 07-08-2021, 05:04 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What role does the choices that women make have on the pay gap we sometimes hear about?
Everyone knows the answer. Women and men aren't the same, neither physically or mentally.

The question isn't whether women make different job and lifestyle choices than men, it is whether the government should intervene to make sure women get paid the same as men in these disparate fields.

At the railroad at least 95% were men. This wasn't because of rampant sexism. If anything, the men were extremely welcoming of women. It was because it was a physically-demanding job, long hours, where you were often away from home for days.

The women who did work there tended to be pretty butch. You're not going to show up there in a dress with long nails.

I think Truck Drivers are one of the biggest and best-paying employers in the country for people without a college-degree, and it is also almost entirely men for much the same reason.

Women don't want to work the jobs that men work, but they want to get paid what men get paid. And they'll make a million excuses while also blaming "the patriarchy" for any difference.

Though it really isn't their fault, they are being prodded by political interests who must constantly turn people against each other through fear and greed to win elections.

Old 07-08-2021, 05:07 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,187 posts, read 13,477,157 times
A woman's work is never done.

That's why they get paid less.

Old 07-08-2021, 05:16 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
In my household, yes. I chose a field that not only didn’t pay well, but one in which there is not pay based on merit. It did, however, allow me the flexibility of easily moving in and out of the work force. My husband did not, he went for the money. I prioritized physically and emotionally taking care my family over my career, my husband prioritized providing financially for the family. We both thought this was a good arrangement that worked well for our family. In hindsight, and now knowing the outcome for our children of these choices, we are very satisfied with our decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies