Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2021, 03:35 AM

27,673 posts, read 13,872,508 times

Advertisements

The US seems to be trying to appease the UK Courts Human Rights concerns which stopped Assange's initial extradition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

US assurances that Julian Assange would not be held under the strictest maximum-security conditions if extradited from the UK have been rejected by his fiancee, who described them as a formula to keep him in prison for the rest of his life.

Details of the proposals made to British authorities emerged after permission was granted this week to appeal against January’s ruling that the Wikileaks co-founder cannot be extradited on mental health grounds.

They include assurances that Assange, if convicted in relation to charges of alleged espionage and hacking, would be allowed to serve any jail time in his native Australia.

The package contains a particular assurance that Assange would not be subject to “special administrative measures” (SAMs) in US custody or imprisoned at the “supermax” prison in Florence, Colorado, procedures reserved for high-security prisoners.

The assurances were subject to change if he were to “do something” subsequently that met the US test for the imposition of the high-security measures.

Assange fiancee rejects US proposals over possible extradition - The Guardian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 03:38 AM

10,093 posts, read 5,816,984 times
Or, in light of the "star witness" recanting his statement, they could just drop the charges altogether.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:40 AM

27,673 posts, read 13,872,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Or, in light of the "star witness" recanting his statement, they could just drop the charges altogether.

They could however it looks like they are going to try and beat the human rights objections instead, and still want to have Assange extradited and tried in the US.

Old 07-09-2021, 07:31 AM

14,831 posts, read 7,464,841 times
I think the US needs to stop this campaign against Assange. US legal tradition has been to punish leakers but not punish journalists that they leak to. Manning (the leaker) has already served time for the leaks they want to charge Assange with.

Old 07-09-2021, 07:45 AM

30,473 posts, read 12,054,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I think the US needs to stop this campaign against Assange. US legal tradition has been to punish leakers but not punish journalists that they leak to. Manning (the leaker) has already served time for the leaks they want to charge Assange with.

I agree. Assange did a disservice to the US government but a great service to American citizens. We have a right to know what our government is up to.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:07 AM

43,851 posts, read 18,849,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I agree. Assange did a disservice to the US government but a great service to American citizens. We have a right to know what our government is up to.
I agree. I read huge parts of the Wikileaks documents in spite of all the publicity telling us not to.

Our State Department was like the PR dept for corporations getting lucrative contracts in other countries.
Corp Execs actually accompanied State Dept officials to other countries with our government giving them the foot in the door they needed to expand.

Our State Department was also showing up in the ME with suitcases full of money trying to buy loyalty from local tribe leaders.

I remember one funny one where one leader said that his brother (a different tribe leader) needed the same amount of money that he was getting before he would agree to anything.

And Snowden did the very same...exposed the collusion between corporates and the Fed in amassing our personal data without our consent or knowledge and storing it at that big Utah datacenter they built.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:18 AM

30,473 posts, read 12,054,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I agree. I read huge parts of the Wikileaks documents in spite of all the publicity telling us not to.

Our State Department was like the PR dept for corporations getting lucrative contracts in other countries.
Corp Execs actually accompanied State Dept officials to other countries with our government giving them the foot in the door they needed to expand.

Our State Department was also showing up in the ME with suitcases full of money trying to buy loyalty from local tribe leaders.

I remember one funny one where one leader said that his brother (a different tribe leader) needed the same amount of money that he was getting before he would agree to anything.

And Snowden did the very same...exposed the collusion between corporates and the Fed in amassing our personal data without our consent or knowledge and storing it at that big Utah datacenter they built.

I don't get how any American can be against what they did. The government has to be accountable and US citizens should have oversight on everything.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:35 AM

43,851 posts, read 18,849,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I don't get how any American can be against what they did. The government has to be accountable and US citizens should have oversight on everything.

Because the propaganda campaign was a huge success.

"National security exposed"....no it wasn't.
"Put the nation in danger"....no it didn't.
"They committed treason"....they were whistleblowers

Look at many of these threads. People do not read. They can barely discuss headlines never mind the meat of issue.

Ignorance is bliss as they say and the government is using media to make sure they stay that way.
The people eventually become mindless, predictable and obedient.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:41 AM

8,725 posts, read 7,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post

Yep, the US taxpayer has been financing corporate expansion.

It is essentially a "hey, we will through USAID, finance a road with a bridge, you in turn partner with my corporate friends here via direct and subsidiaries, and provide them with contracts, purchases, exclusive access, etc, and oh yes, buy only Boeing aircraft while you are at it, because you know, we can forgive debt as well."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies