Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2021, 09:42 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
oh thats good.

That means you also don't believe in reparations.
I didn’t say that, but you’ve got nothing worth me having anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 09:44 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It seems to you - that we're telling LESS truth to each other/our school kids than we were before?
Yes.

The truth sets people free.

Lies put people in bondage. When you have white adults telling white kids they are bad because of acts done by individuals that took place centuries ago, that's bondage - not freedom.

When black folk kill each other a hundred times more than white folk - and the lie is perpetuated that white folk are the problem - that puts people in bondage.

When the lie of defunding the police is put forth as a solution to ending police brutality - that puts the community in bondage.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:46 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,749 times
That's a good question. Over 600K died for the cause. They paid the ultimate price so others could have freedom.

I have been to several civil war reenactments. My state was physically divided over the war. Hard to imagine what it must have been like to live then.

An issue I see is that some act like slavery was a uniquely American issue which is far from the case. Slavery was happening worldwide and normalized at the time. Doesn't make it ok, but it was hardly unique to the US.

Many people grow up thinking it was just a problem in this country. It's really sad when history has been distorted to the point where some of our US reps make statements to an international audience that we are inherently or institutionally racist. It's as though they are blind to the injustices that were happening worldwide at that time.

Every country has a brutal past but the difference is I don't hear other countries continually bashing themselves over it. They have moved on.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:58 AM

14,229 posts, read 4,596,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I didn’t say that, but you’ve got nothing worth me having anyway.
Beggar can’t be chooser.

If you beg nicely, I might agree with giving you reparation.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Why not?
Take a wild guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger84Ag View Post
Why not, black peoples had slaves too will they be responsible for reparations…nope just white people.
Geez Louise...the victimhood that so many of you just cling to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
At his point why don’t you just admit you are racist against white people? I’m sure inside you are a good person but you are hating people who had nothing to do with slavery. You are also cherry picking history to support your racist views. It is FACT that the abolitionist movement came out of white, Christian churches and religious leaders. The relatively conservative Quakers were the first to fight. There were many white abolitionist leaders. These people took this stand at great risk to themselves and their families. Not to mention the little fact that only 7% of whites in the US had slaves.

Yes, the US made some mistakes during its birth and growing process, but it also was the world leader in ushering a new way of society where all people regardless of color are treated as equals and have more freedom and opportunity than anywhere else in the world.
Lincoln...that’s the list.

White abolitionists wanted to end slavery mostly because of the deleterious effect it had on whites overall.

Besides, the first abolitionists were the damned slaves themselves. Think they liked being slaves until white abolitionists told them that they shouldn’t like it? Lol...you folks are a trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
The fragility is amazing.

Seems like some people always need a pat on the back or they feel attacked.
They love playing the aggrieved victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
you guys always have that one Black friend who says exactly what you want to hear...lol
Notice that too, huh? Always that one Uncle Tom lurking around in every white person’s life who’s like their racial conscience telling them that all their racist thoughts are justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Another good research question while we are on topic: who sold slaves to slave owners?
Slave catchers, slave dealers and merchants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
That's a good question. Over 600K died for the cause. They paid the ultimate price so others could have freedom.

I have been to several civil war reenactments. My state was physically divided over the war. Hard to imagine what it must have been like to live then.

An issue I see is that some act like slavery was a uniquely American issue which is far from the case. Slavery was happening worldwide and normalized at the time. Doesn't make it ok, but it was hardly unique to the US.

Many people grow up thinking it was just a problem in this country. It's really sad when history has been distorted to the point where some of our US reps make statements to an international audience that we are inherently or institutionally racist. It's as though they are blind to the injustices that were happening worldwide at that time.

Every country has a brutal past but the difference is I don't hear other countries continually bashing themselves over it. They have moved on.
600k didn’t die to free slaves. That’s nonsense. That’s the total death numbers for the Civil War. Half that number died to KEEP slavery. Most of the other half died to keep the Union together.

The black troops on the Union side; about 200k men were the people who fought to end slavery.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Beggar can’t be chooser.

If you beg nicely, I might agree with giving you reparation.
“Beggars can’t be choosy, you meant.

Anyway, if you had anything I wanted, I’d just run up on you and pat them pockets and take what I want. Leave you with lint balls and your pockets sticking up like rabbit ears. Wouldn’t even need a weapon.

Don’t flatter yourself, kid. You’ve got nothing worth me having. Just move on and let this one go.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:04 AM

14,229 posts, read 4,596,290 times
Americans are known for our independence and self reliance.

But now we have a subgroup of Americans literally begging for handout from other Americans. That’s embarrassing. Where is your pride?

Now if any American is having a hard financial time and down on his/her luck for whatever reason and need a little lift, that’s different. That’s not begging.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:04 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,214,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Yes.

The truth sets people free.

Lies put people in bondage. When you have white adults telling white kids they are bad because of acts done by individuals that took place centuries ago, that's bondage - not freedom.

When black folk kill each other a hundred times more than white folk - and the lie is perpetuated that white folk are the problem - that puts people in bondage.

When the lie of defunding the police is put forth as a solution to ending police brutality - that puts the community in bondage.

This is a reality check that some here need to cash.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:05 AM

495 posts, read 192,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What threat? Stop it. Now you’re just trying to play the victim. It was an example, and you know damn well that I don’t even know you.

Like, 3 blacks enslaved other blacks. So please, chill with that misleading nonsense.

Abe Lincoln is the sole reason for manumission. Period, end of story. No other white man gets credit. If you wanna play this game where you’re needlessly trying to ingratiate yourself with white folks, have at it. The rest of us ain’t going along.
If no other white man than Abe Lincoln gets credit for freeing the slaves, then no white men other than those who owned slaves can get blamed for slavery - which means every white man alive today.

So much for the reparations argument.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:08 AM

27,146 posts, read 15,322,979 times
"Should white people get retroactive credit..."

A Gift Card would be nice........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies