Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 02:50 PM

16,430 posts, read 8,233,962 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on this?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bill-to-p...163221964.html

Should women in jail get special treatment? I think they should have their dr's appts and maybe more food than a non pregnant inmate...but it starts to get tricky...i would think more women who know they are on the way to jail might go out of their way to get pregnant to get better treatment. It's sad this woman had a miscarriage in jail, but unfortunately miscarriages happen for plenty of women who are not incarcerated either. I mean the woman in this article seemed insulted that when she fell no one said, are you ok? I mean it's jail lady, doesn't matter if you're pregnant or not, you're there and pregnant due to the life choices you made.

I'm also not sure what to make of the fetus that was thrown out with the linens. I've never miscarried but from what I understand many women miscarry on the toilet..but i guess at 20 weeks there might have been more to it.

I'm guessing this woman will win the law suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 03:02 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
If I can put my liberal beanie on for a moment I would ask, what did that fetus ever do that placed it behind bars and serving time? Don't we have an amendment to the Constitution about unlawful detainment? ?

Seriously it is sad that the inmate lost her baby but it is a case for the doctors and courts to determine if her incarceration caused it. Who knows?

I think we should be more concerned about the future when transgendered men are placed into women's prison and the man becomes pregnant.... He and his baby or should I say the birthing person has Rights!

Old 07-12-2021, 03:08 PM

Quite honestly if i were going to jail for a long time and I was pregnant I'd probably consider having an abortion. Even if it was for two years that seems like a long time for baby and mom to be separated. I mean what kind of life would that poor child have once they were born? A mother in jail raised by who knows? It does seems like many women in jail do go on to have their babies. Must be pretty confusing for the kid.

Old 07-12-2021, 03:23 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Quite honestly if i were going to jail for a long time and I was pregnant I'd probably consider having an abortion. Even if it was for two years that seems like a long time for baby and mom to be separated. I mean what kind of life would that poor child have once they were born? A mother in jail raised by who knows? It does seems like many women in jail do go on to have their babies. Must be pretty confusing for the kid.

I realize you're only saying what you would do...but there are a lot of women out there who don't believe in abortion, and there ARE other alternatives, like adoption, or foster care with a family member, like grandma, or an aunt, etc.

Old 07-12-2021, 03:39 PM

Yep thanks. Bottom line is no one should be getting pregnant if they're on the way to jail. This woman was only 6 weeks pregnant when she first began. You don't think she had any idea that she might end up in jail prior to that ? Especially because it was a white collar crime. Probably not the time to be getting knocked up. If she cared that much for her baby she would have been more careful in all aspects of life. Period. No pun intended there.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:13 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Yep thanks. Bottom line is no one should be getting pregnant if they're on the way to jail. This woman was only 6 weeks pregnant when she first began. You don't think she had any idea that she might end up in jail prior to that ? Especially because it was a white collar crime. Probably not the time to be getting knocked up. If she cared that much for her baby she would have been more careful in all aspects of life. Period. No pun intended there.
More than half the people in prison are there because they can't come up with bail. She could have been arrested and charged in her sixth week and never let out after that.

And while I'm against pampering prisoners, the *healthcare* they receive while incarcerated makes us look extremely bad as a nation. It's abominable. Nobody should have infections ignored to the point where they lose a limb, or get no treatment or medication they're supposed to get in order to survive.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:23 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
If you don't want to have a baby in prison, abstain from behavior that will put you in prison.

Old 07-13-2021, 02:43 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Women have been having babies in prison for a long time. I remember seeing a tv new special report about it about 30 years ago. Has something changed?

Old 07-13-2021, 03:06 AM

16,088 posts, read 6,860,239 times
The Incarcerated having rights that parallel those on the outside?
Save me a spot. Rents are skyrocketing and I just lost my job ..............(Sarcasm)

Old 07-13-2021, 07:36 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Women have been having babies in prison for a long time. I remember seeing a tv new special report about it about 30 years ago. Has something changed?

I think part of the issue is, at least in this case, she didn't (but should've?) have a basic right to ob/gyn care while in this particular prison, that was never set up for women.

Now...other prisons, other states, maybe things would've been better...but the point is, she wants RIGHTS for women prisoners.

Like...per the article, in some prisons, the women are charged crazy prices for pads and tampons. And THIS particular woman didn't even have the basic hygiene items when she miscarried her baby.

Another thing...she fell, which led to the miscarriage it seems, and because her hands and legs were bound, she couldn't catch herself to hopefully lessen the blow to her unborn child. And no one checked her out to see if she was OK. As a matter of fact, it was a whole lot of red tape, just to get checked out at a local hospital, when she started bleeding.

Surely, she deserved better than she got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies