Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 09:13 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times

Advertisements

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/anti...n-khodorkovsky

The last few weeks must become a unifying clarion call for all Americans to keep anti-Semitism incompatible with our way of life

Quote:
For Jewish refugees like my parents and me, fortunate to have been welcomed by the United States after leaving the Soviet Union, it’s been shocking to witness the recent outbreak of anti-Semitic violence on the streets of the country we revere.

The world’s oldest hatred has haunted the Jewish people as long as Jews have been a people. We have been enslaved in Egypt, kicked out of our biblical home in Israel by the Romans, burned at the stake in Medieval Spain, massacred in Eastern European pogroms, and just about exterminated by the Nazis.
My own family has been victimized by virulent anti-Semitism. My great grandmother died of cold and starvation on the streets a Nazi ghetto. My grandparents, with whom I shared a room for the first eleven years of my life, barely survived the Holocaust.

My parents endured the bleak, daily anti-Semitism of the Soviet era, which attempted to snuff out our Jewish heritage. It was not uncommon for me to be called a zhid ("****") in the school yard. That’s why we desperately wanted to get out of the USSR and go to the U.S., the goldene medina ("golden land" in Yiddish). Eventually we did.

MrsM and I are fortunate enough to 2nd generation Americans. Our grand-parents fled anti-Semitism for freedom here.

With very few exceptions, I have not been exposed to anti-Semetic behavior until recently. What I see, and read, is getting worse.

Just to see the precautions our synagogue is taking is enough to make any American sick

This is an exceptional article, for Jews and Christians alike. Please take the time to read it with an open mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 09:37 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
It's always been in the USA. The Ku Klux Klan is an Anti-Semitic group. So is the Nation of Islam.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:51 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It's always been in the USA. The Ku Klux Klan is an Anti-Semitic group. So is the Nation of Islam.
Antisemitism has never (in my long lifetime) been so open and blatant as in the past few years... since the "very fine people on both sides" comment. That seemed to give the bigots some kind of permission to be more open about their hatred. Sometimes I wonder why these anti semites are so afraid of the Jewish people, who make up such a tiny sliver of the world's population.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:27 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
I think it got worse before then. Obama and his friendship with Farrakhan? Obama’s anti Semitic family pastor? The antisemitism certainly came through in his dealings with Israel.

And now we have people right in our Congress who make anti Semitic statements and are never called out for it by their fellow democratic colleagues.

Personally, I fear antisemitism in our government more than I do some ignorant, inbred hick wearing an offensive shirt.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkilTech_ModernStoneDucks View Post
You skipped Charlottesville and the Jan 6th riots.
They were already mentioned in the thread. I was adding to it, so it would be idiotic to mention them again.

I don’t think congresswoman Omar and Tlaib can be left out of any discussion of the rise of antisemitism in America. The Democrats have two openly antisemitic congresswomen that they refuse to condemn. That is scary.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:37 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I think it got worse before then. Obama and his friendship with Farrakhan? Obama’s anti Semitic family pastor? The antisemitism certainly came through in his dealings with Israel.

And now we have people right in our Congress who make anti Semitic statements and are never called out for it by their fellow democratic colleagues.

Personally, I fear antisemitism in our government more than I do some ignorant, inbred hick wearing an offensive shirt.
There is also Marjorie Taylor Green, who is not called out by her fellow Repubs.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
There is also Marjorie Taylor Green, who is not called out by her fellow Repubs.
She has been. And she has been stripped of her committees. When are the democrats going to go after their own antisemites?

I won’t hold my breath. Antisemitism is going to fester in the Democratic Party from now on. If you refuse to condemn it, it only grows larger.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:50 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Jewish men have been getting it the worst the past several years in New York, unrelenting hate crimes committed against them sadly.

Police: Jewish Man Punched, Hit With Piece Of Furniture In Brooklyn Hate Crime

Old 07-09-2021, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Jewish men have been getting it the worst the past several years in New York, unrelenting hate crimes committed against them sadly.

Police: Jewish Man Punched, Hit With Piece Of Furniture In Brooklyn Hate Crime
People on the left like to point out the things that far right antisemites say. Which is a good thing. But in most instances, the far right ones are only speaking against Jews. In the end, it’s just words. But when there is an actual physical attack, it is almost always by someone on the left. Like last year when almost on a daily basis Jews were being attacked on the street by African Americans? The people on the left aren’t nearly as vocal about that as they are about someone wearing a shirt with an offensive slogan.

Old 07-09-2021, 11:22 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

Knowing it's around and actually seeing it in front of you are two completely different
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies