Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 09:40 PM

2,367 posts, read 913,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
none that you would notice without reading the article.
Oh I believe you when you say the article mentions racism. But the result of the study itself is just the pattern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 09:42 PM

42,000 posts, read 75,358,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASetrakian View Post
Mental Illness is a serious topic
Yes, it is. So perhaps you could explain the need for your earlier post in this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASetrakian View Post
You are correct, just look at the far left liberals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
The pattern is that "migrants from Africa and the Caribbean are more likely to be diagnosed with schizophrenia than native born white peers". There is no mention of racism.
Actually, racism is mentioned 21 times in the link, and once in the headline. Race is mentioned 9 times.

Here ya go, from the link:

Quote:
Racism harms overtly, Dr. Lashley says, but it also sabotages a person’s social and physical environment. It understandably causes them to question what’s true, to wonder about the motives of their neighbours. Did that person cross the street to get somewhere or to avoid me? Was I seated in the back of the restaurant because I’m Black? Is that police officer just walking by or following me?

How long can anyone’s brain, especially one already dealing with trauma or the challenge of adjusting to a foreign culture, maintain that hyper-vigilance and stay healthy?

Old 07-10-2021, 09:43 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,547,829 times
Can schizophrenia cause racism. Many of those who have this will be racist since they do not have control over their emotions or thinking straight.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:46 PM

The prevalence of schizophrenia in migrants from Africa should be compared to Africans who did not migrate, so as to establish a baseline. Poor conditions in Africa: malnutrition and viral infection during development are just some of the contributing factors. Then maybe the stress of migration triggers it.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:46 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,517,970 times
I don't know about racism but I could easily see how being thrust into a different state with a different type of economy with different people with lots of different beliefs and customs and food could be discombobulating.

That's pretty much what you do to indoctrinate someone.

They will come up with all sorts of reasons why the things are going on around them and many of the reason will barely be connected to reality because that's what humans do to familiarize themselves with their environments.

I could only imagine what would go through someone's mind that may not have grown up with something like central AC in their home when they see such a concept in action. Besides looking incredibly wasteful, Americans grow up with central AC and they still have absolutely no idea how it works, generally speaking.

That's a lot of stress no matter what color you are. I guess it's possible white people adjust to those conditions quicker for some epigenetic reason? Or maybe no white people grow up without many of the creature comforts. Maybe that's where the racism comes in.

But we all know it doesn't have anything to do with racism. We know it's complete bunk to serve the purpose of "an economy without differences."

Old 07-10-2021, 09:52 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,781,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
Oh I believe you when you say the article mentions racism. But the result of the study itself is just the pattern.
OK, sorry I misunderstood you.

The article is a jumble of various conflicting hypotheses. The writer just really hopes white racism is a major cause of schizophrenia in blacks, or at least that many people will believe it is. The main thing is not to find real answers and develop cures but to place blame on deserving bad people.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:01 PM

37,159 posts, read 42,302,670 times
No. There are things that should be looked at to help identify what most causes the social ills people complain about. But those things are off limits.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
OK, sorry I misunderstood you.

The article is a jumble of various conflicting hypotheses. The writer just really hopes white racism is a major cause of schizophrenia in blacks, or at least that many people will believe it is. The main thing is not to find real answers and develop cures but to place blame on deserving bad people.
(no worries, I see now why my post was unclear.)

The article is another example of some activist-journalist putting forth their own interpretation of data, and calling it "science".

Old 07-12-2021, 02:31 PM

20,803 posts, read 8,640,449 times
The bums I see screaming on street corners and talking to imaginary friends in my Dem controlled city are mostly white.

Old 07-12-2021, 04:50 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,900,667 times
Racism causing Schizophrenia...Well could be the reason the Left is crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies