Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 12:38 AM

31,068 posts, read 22,086,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
At least there's some sense in changing the use of the word "Indian" to refer to people who don't originate from India especially as more immigrants from the actual India and their children populate the U.S.
"Some sense in changing the word "Indian""? Not necessarily. It's not like Columbus thought the new world was "India" which is a misnomer, as "India" wasn't even called "India" until the 17 century and Columbus landed in the Americas 100s of years before then

Here's a interesting Article on the White media basically determining what tribes call themselves
https://www.nativetimes.com/index.ph...-chiefs-of-old
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 01:14 AM

11,023 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
I'm sorry.

Are "midget" and "Dwarf" not scientifically-recognized words. Are there identifiable differences between a midget and a dwarf? I thought a dwarf = midget + "normal" head size. There's that one guy that was in GoT and other movies that's worth more than 99.5% of us because he filled an actor's role.

I don't even know what the difference is between a midget and somebody that is just "short". But I imagine it exists.

A person that is 30% shorter than average is probably a midget. a 5'4" man that's derogatorily called a "midget" is a different matter.

It is JUST a genetic difference. It is not a statement of value as a human being.
Technically you are correct but the English language has evolved over time and now days a 'midget' is a really small thing and does not apply to humans. It's like the word 'non-inflammable'. Today we would respond with; "make up your mind". But one upon a time, the word inflammable meant 'burst into flames' or 'could catch alight'. Today, 'inflammable' means can't burn. No-one uses the word midget to refer to dwarfism.

Who the hell has so little to do in life that they make an issue of the word 'midget'? Get a life for heavens, sake!

P.S. Science doesn't recognize words. Science studies facts. Besides - scientists can't spell.

Old 07-12-2021, 01:44 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I was always told that a midget was a small person, perfectly proportioned, while a dwarf had a large head, but short torso, arms and legs. These genetic conditions don't seem to be as common now as in the past. Selective abortions? Better nutrition?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
I'm sorry.

Are "midget" and "Dwarf" not scientifically-recognized words. Are there identifiable differences between a midget and a dwarf? I thought a dwarf = midget + "normal" head size. There's that one guy that was in GoT and other movies that's worth more than 99.5% of us because he filled an actor's role.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Dwarfism is a specific medical condition. Midgets are just really small but normally proportioned.
Common misconception. There's proportionate dwarfism, where a person or animal is just undersized, usually due to issues with growth hormones. There is also disproportionate dwarfism. The most common variety of disproportionate dwarfism is achondroplasia dwarfism, where the limbs are short (I would expect this is the type of dwarfism Peter Dinklage from GoT has). They're all medical issues, but they have different causes and different outcomes. Dwarfism is a scientific term. Some forms can be disabling, and some forms can result from a disabling disorder, but it's not necessarily a disability in and of itself. (Consider Corgi dogs - they're all achondroplastic dwarfs and they get around fine.)

You also get people who are just short statured...just like sometimes a person is very tall, sometimes a person is very short. They're outliers on the range of human heights.

"Midget" was a term popularized by freakshows. You can probably guess why most people with dwarfism prefer not to be called "midgets." I'm old and I knew "midget" was considered rude even back when I was a kid, so this is nothing new. I don't know why people in this thread are acting like it's a revelation. If you didn't know, whoops! You know now!

My great aunt had achondroplasia and she referred to herself as a dwarf. I think she kind of liked the fantasy/mythology association, or at least had reconciled with it. I don't think I'd much like "little people" either, if I had dwarfism, but I don't have dwarfism, and I'm of a mind to call people whatever they prefer to be called, so "little people" it is, or whatever an individual requests.

Old 07-12-2021, 03:26 AM

1,663 posts, read 876,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
So what are we supposed to call those diminutive submersibles that the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor with?

https://www.history.navy.mil/our-col...rl-harbor.html
I was concerned about that too. And what to call this little British car made by MG?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_Midget

Old 07-12-2021, 03:42 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Common misconception. There's proportionate dwarfism, where a person or animal is just undersized, usually due to issues with growth hormones. There is also disproportionate dwarfism. The most common variety of disproportionate dwarfism is achondroplasia dwarfism, where the limbs are short (I would expect this is the type of dwarfism Peter Dinklage from GoT has). They're all medical issues, but they have different causes and different outcomes. Dwarfism is a scientific term. Some forms can be disabling, and some forms can result from a disabling disorder, but it's not necessarily a disability in and of itself. (Consider Corgi dogs - they're all achondroplastic dwarfs and they get around fine.)

You also get people who are just short statured...just like sometimes a person is very tall, sometimes a person is very short. They're outliers on the range of human heights.

"Midget" was a term popularized by freakshows. You can probably guess why most people with dwarfism prefer not to be called "midgets." I'm old and I knew "midget" was considered rude even back when I was a kid, so this is nothing new. I don't know why people in this thread are acting like it's a revelation. If you didn't know, whoops! You know now!

My great aunt had achondroplasia and she referred to herself as a dwarf. I think she kind of liked the fantasy/mythology association, or at least had reconciled with it. I don't think I'd much like "little people" either, if I had dwarfism, but I don't have dwarfism, and I'm of a mind to call people whatever they prefer to be called, so "little people" it is, or whatever an individual requests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAnIOCIBFR4

Old 07-12-2021, 08:17 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post

and there you have it. As I said, I thought they were 2 related but different physiological conditions. At least by the sources readily available today, they're ALL dwarfs, and those with proportionate features are dwarfs and want to be called a dwarf. And by their actual name, which any mature adult would have been doing in the first place.

Old 07-12-2021, 11:48 AM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
I thought that "midget" was really only used in circuses & that dwarf or little person were
the names to use .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-12-2021, 12:06 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
exactly. This is something that has been out there for ages at this point.

But of course Righties hate not being able to use their preferred slurs about others and get completely bent out of shape when the subjects of those slurs object
Sorry, but it is the left that likes to browse through the dictionary and try to make every little word offensive to someone, somehow. Hell, the dictionary even changed the meaning of a word to ensure it was offensive, since the left wanted it to be.

Old 07-12-2021, 12:15 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,946,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
This thread is brought to you by sad, lonely mental orphans who feel they don't have enough trouble to worry about in their lives, and are desperately trying to create more and then drag others into it.
In other words... mental midgets!

Old 07-12-2021, 01:10 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
https://www.lpaonline.org/the-m-word

Although righties also like to use "woke" as a slur, I'm perfectly happy to be categorized by a term that means that I try to be respectful of what people who are members of a particular group prefer to be called.
AKA, I'm perfectly happy to deny reality on order to please delusional people.

I'm so sorry, Sagiteriomolous. I know you're a little fuchsia hermaphrodite giraffe with a unicorn horn. I didn't mean to offend you. My bad, honey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies