Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 08:35 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkTonkTheBigLonkStonk View Post
What better way to get a message out that being seen by billions around the world.
For said persons, that was the whole point. For said athletes, the Olympics were their platform. They would be seen by billions of people. There are plenty of people who will say "that was neither the time or the place for that". Tommy Smith and John Carlos knew that. That was the point. The idea was to raise their fists in the air at a time when it wasn't the time or the place. It would be unexpected, shocking, jarring to all that were watching.

Rapinoe knew there would be people angry at her for doing what she did. That was the whole point. The idea is "if no one sees, if there are no people angry with you, you're doing it wrong".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 08:46 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post

That said, it is unforgivable to disrespect your flag and your country on an international stage. Some black athletes did the "black power" sign at the Mexico City olympics, They were expelled from the games.

Two sprinters gave the black-power salute at the Olympics. It took them decades to recover from that gesture.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...1ee_story.html

Old 07-22-2021, 08:47 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
They did not cause a single racist to rethink his position.
Therefore they accomplished nothing.
.........Well, almost nothing; they made us talk about them, which was probably the whole point.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:59 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkTonkTheBigLonkStonk View Post
What better way to get a message out that being seen by billions around the world.
Even better not to represent your country at all. Because all you are seen as is at this point is a rebel and that's what you will be remembered as.
If you don't represent your country at all..now that's a statement..imagine The US national team.refuse to participate in the Olympics because of...whatever reason they have.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:02 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Demographics won't be the reasons they go. It would be due to those countries not being North Korea. They might give Japan a try.
From what I've heard, living in Japan as a black person would be a good way to learn that white people are not the most racist people on the face of the planet.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:07 PM

1,174 posts, read 550,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
so who does the us team think they represent playing in the olympics? Themselves?
yes

Old 07-22-2021, 09:10 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Yep. Screw these ingrates.

Ya know, you hope and pray for moments like this all your life without ever allowing yourself to really dream that it could happen, and then it does!

It's just such a special time to be an American!

Thank you Sweden for crushing our ungrateful pig's woke, unpatriotic hopes and dreams!

Because of you, the spoiled brats on our women's soccer team won't be able to further embarrass the country that has provided every opportunity to them - at least for now.

Savor your victory Sweden,

You're a special country and a special friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlHaschCX2s

Old 07-22-2021, 09:37 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,249,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I was so happy to wake up to this headline this AM

Olympic Loss To Sweden Ends U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team’s 44-Game Unbeaten Streak

https://www.forbes.com/sites/asifbur...h=31ce43236b9a

Now, hopefully, I have a chance at not seeing Rapinoe and company on the stand disrespecting MY FLAG and MY COUNTRY

Their display of anti-Americanism, the country that they supposedly represent, at the Olympics is disgusting.

The flag that they disrespect has cradled countless American men and women who gave their lives for The United States of America for over 200 years. The flag that they disrespect flies over cemeteries all over the world where many of these men and women solemnly lie in repose after dying under horrible conditions in wars that defeated enemies who would have shot them for their disrespectful acts

The flag that they disrespect flew proudly over the ruins of The World Trade Center

Like the NFL that I do not watch, I will not watch and proudly root for countries playing against Americans who disrespect Old Glory

Long may she waive!!!!
YOU are not Anti-American. They are. I hope they get a non-stop series of ***** beatings and that Rapinoe catches a 60 mph soccer ball in her pouty mouth.

Last edited by SilkHammer; 07-22-2021 at 10:18 PM..

Old 07-22-2021, 10:04 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
So....you're Pro-US, pro-racism and pro-white supremacy? Those turn you ON??

How ARE the rates at Bedminster?
Eh, it’s my choice to support who I want to support. I choose to support positive people who make the most out of what they have. And we as US citizens have much more than say people in a great deal of other countries around the world.
Stop your belly-aching, complaining about whitey , and go to work. Anyone can be a success if they follow that formula.

Last edited by Above Average Bear; 07-22-2021 at 10:30 PM..

Old 07-22-2021, 10:08 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
However, the act of exercising free speech is a demonstration to all other countries that we value of individual freedoms.

The issue here is that protesting a perceived injustice or wrong is equated with hatred for one's country. I disagree here.... bringing attention to this perceived issues is an expression of love for one's country. The want to move forward and continuously improve and spark progress. As a country, you can't do that unless we first acknowledge the issue at hand.

This thread isn't about freedoms, hatred, nor love for country. Its simply a group of people disagreeing with their views and reasons for protesting. Instead of admitting to that, its easier to dismiss them as American haters.

I'm from Texas originally. You will see far more people flying the Texas flag than the US flag. I certainly don't equate that with hating America... simply that they love Texas and express it as part of their freedom of speech.

What it says to other countries is that we are a nation of whiney attention whores.

They can make there point at another place and another time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies