Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2021, 09:41 AM

21,380 posts, read 7,987,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
The GOP has a strong advantage going into midterms right now. Overturning RvW will wipe that out. This shows clearly they prefer the religious right over woman, and that message will be told VERY clearly. This might be enough to hand midterms back to democrats.
You really believe the only people that are against abortion are religious?

What an odd and misguided interpretation of the world.

The war on religion is at its height, religion is waning, and yet pro life keeps gaining in polls... yet somehow it's those 'religious people' who are the only ones against abortion.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:43 AM

7,245 posts, read 4,578,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
There are already a number of states that have passed laws that will automatically become effective following the repeal of Roe v Wade.
Which is why they won't repeal it.. they will just gutt it... and specifically state it is still good law.. but now it has a zillion exceptions.

I also don't think they will want to give this issue to the dems right before the midterms.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:44 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,334,210 times
I think it's partially bad for the GOP because it will take a key political issue off the table for conservatives. The anti-abortion crowd are committed voters. Overturning RvW will take some of the wind out of their sails in the coming years.

I also think it will be partially bad for the Dems because they have demonstrated that they are incapable of delivering on a key issue for their voters, in spite of being handed all the levers of power in our government. American's aren't dumb. We can see clearly that they aren't able to effect their agenda when they're in power. This is particularly destructive, because the Dems do have some really good ideas too.

In the end, it will be mostly bad for women. I believe that our bodies are own. Man, woman, gay, straight, abortion, drugs, suicide, whatever... It's your body, do what you want. Just don't give that power to the government or anyone else. And don't expect the people around you to pay for your choices.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:46 AM

984 posts, read 445,885 times
A lot more children in foster care. Most of these babies aren't going to be healthy white babies that everyone wants. They'll be preemies, sick babies, babies born addicted to drugs, babies born with major health issues from incest, etc.

More child abuse. More newborns left in bathroom stalls and trash cans.

Women dying from illegal abortions.

More children being forced to give birth after being raped by their fathers/uncles/neighbors/pastors/family friends.

More conservative tears from paying for "welfare babies." They don't actually want to feed/clothe/provide medical care for children.... they just want women to pay for daring to have sex.

That's only the poor ones, though. The rest will just take a trip to a progressive state and get their abortions. I'm fortunate that we have the means to fly to a different state if services are needed for me or my daughter. Not everyone is so fortunate, so those will be the women and babies who will suffer.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:49 AM

Maybe the liberals will step up and start caring for teens/women and babies during pregnancy and after they are born, instead of relying on religious-sponsored agencies to do so.

That would be nice.

But I doubt it.

I still think not much will change overall. This is all just a lot of huffing and puffing.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:49 AM

6,156 posts, read 2,919,401 times
Quote:
The GOP has a strong advantage going into midterms right now. Overturning RvW will wipe that out. This shows clearly they prefer the religious right over woman, and that message will be told VERY clearly. This might be enough to hand midterms back to democrats.
So, the Supreme Court upholding State's Rights is "religious" in nature? I know the Left is trying to make this case solely about abortion, but it's really a State's Rights case. And overturning Roe V Wade doesn't ban abortion, as it allows the states and the people who live in those states to decide whether abortion should be legal or not. That's how it always should have been. Mississippi would probably ban abortion in most cases, but states like California would probably allow after-birth abortion (murder). Sick, but that's their right.

And by the way, in the Virginia Gubernatorial Election, people who said abortion was their number one voting issue voted for Glenn Youngkin, according to the exit polls.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
So, the Supreme Court upholding State's Rights is "religious" in nature? I know the Left is trying to make this case solely about abortion, but it's really a State's Rights case. And overturning Roe V Wade doesn't ban abortion, as it allows the states and the people who live in those states to decide whether abortion should be legal or not. That's how it always should have been. Mississippi would probably ban abortion in most cases, but states like California would probably allow after-birth abortion (murder). Sick, but that's their right.
That's an interesting thought. Some states might take it in the other direction. Abortion anytime at any stage. Maybe even redefine "fetus" to include babies up to 6 months old.

Sick.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:52 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,929,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You really believe the only people that are against abortion are religious?

What an odd and misguided interpretation of the world.

The war on religion is at its height, religion is waning, and yet pro life keeps gaining in polls... yet somehow it's those 'religious people' who are the only ones against abortion.
Of course not only religious people are against abortion, but most are. And yes, it's a problem. The US is becoming less religious, and given the horrible things done in the name of religion, that's a very good thing.
The pro-life movement also is NOT gaining in polls. It's held primarily by older, religious people, which is a group who are not the future of this country.

You can disagree with me all you want, but trying to overturn RvW is a huge tactical mistake by the GOP going into an election season. The only people who like it are their base, who would vote for republican candidates anyway.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:54 AM

984 posts, read 445,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Maybe the liberals will step up and start caring for teens/women and babies during pregnancy and after they are born, instead of relying on religious-sponsored agencies to do so.

That would be nice.

But I doubt it.

I still think not much will change overall. This is all just a lot of huffing and puffing.
Do you mean like voting for policies that actually help people? Like maybe government-funded birth control, health insurance for all, daycare subsidies, rental assistance, expanded food stamps, things like that? Or maybe you mean voting for more of a hand up, like free community college? Ooh, or maybe something that starts earlier, like... I don't know.... comprehensive sex education to help prevent these pregnancies in the first place?

Old 12-08-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Of course not only religious people are against abortion, but most are. And yes, it's a problem. The US is becoming less religious, and given the horrible things done in the name of religion, that's a very good thing.
The pro-life movement also is NOT gaining in polls. It's held primarily by older, religious people, which is a group who are not the future of this country.

You can disagree with me all you want, but trying to overturn RvW is a huge tactical mistake by the GOP going into an election season. The only people who like it are their base, who would vote for republican candidates anyway.
I'm disagreeing with your opinion that the only group opposed to abortion is religious.

That opinion is dead wrong.

There are plenty of secular groups that are against abortion. You just don't hear a lot about them because the "religious" argument doesn't work against them and most pro abortion people have literally no other argument. So they avoid those groups altogether since they can't defend abortion any other way except ... 'because religion.'

Pro life movement is and has been gaining steadily over the last decade. If you haven't realized that, you haven't done your homework. And it's not because of religion. And it's not just "old people."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.