Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 04:10 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,375,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
How ignorant. The disease passed to the hetero community decades ago.
How ignorant! Women who had sex with bisexual men could catch it, but they couldn't infect heterosexual men, so it couldn't go any further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2021, 04:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
To the OP were you even alive then, let alone an adult in the 80's? I was in my 30's then. Fauci WHO? There was no Internet, Social Media, or Cable News Networks. Network News NEVER talked about him.

I lived in the Village then and had close gay friends who I went out to dinner and dancing with as a straight woman. Aids?

I had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy in 1982. The hospital wanted me to have a blood transfusion. My "quack" OB/GYN told them NO. He did not trust the blood supply, not even my HUSBAND donating blood to me. Did FAUCI say that then? That was not known for YEARS later about the blood supply. FAUCI said that then? News to me.
To the new network issue, it wasn't until the 90's that 24/7 news outlets became what they are today. They were much slower to get news out because as much as they wanted to be the one to break it, they wanted it to be correct. We were still years away from unless findings of a virus, you had health experts like Fauci on TV. Faucci I first heard of the in the Tom Hanks produced The Eighties documentary with the episode on AIDS. That was also where I heard about various groups including ACT-UP.

What got Fauci's name somewhat out during AIDS was the April 1990 ACT-UP protest at the NIAID. Not the meeting itself Fauci had where he actually listened to the protesters, the protests and the potential arrests. The Eighties is currently on Hulu and I would suggest watching it for anyone arguing Fauci's spot in it.

Am I saying Fauci was 100% right during it, no. He likely was given what he was given by big pharma. Members of ACT-UP and other groups were desperate and tried whatever they could get their hands on if they were HIV positive. Fauci maybe didn't know about other treatments due to no journalization of it. Fauci later looked into what ACT-UP brought to the table. Why, because he cares about people. Why did he not talk HCQ during the Trump days, because he wasn't sure if it would help people or not.

Last edited by mkpunk; 08-01-2021 at 05:57 PM..

Old 08-01-2021, 04:36 PM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You might want to read “And the Band Played On”.
I did, and saw the movie made (starring Mathew Modine). Long time ago.

I've also watched numerous documentaries made from the '80s and '90s.

Old 08-01-2021, 04:48 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You might want to read “And the Band Played On”. Among the conplaints are that Fauci falsely sold the theory that casual contact would spread AIDS then later turned around and pretended like he knew family members couldn’t just get it from hugging their dying loved one. Fauci also campaigned to not allow authorization of a cheap antibiotic that worked in numerous trials in favor of insisting on an extremely expensive new drug instead.

Any of that sound familiar?
I read the book. I had a few gay male friends back then and they were freaked out.
Sounds like don't wear a mask/wear a mask, to me! Haha!

He has a way of getting the most out of whatever position he's in from a P.R. standpoint.
Princess Diana did a good job of getting the word out about casual contact.

Old 08-01-2021, 04:52 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,672 times
Needle sharing among addicts was (is?) a common vector.

Old 08-01-2021, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
To the new network issue, it wasn't until the 90's that 24/7 news outlets became what they are today. They were much slower to get news out because as much as they wanted to be the one to break it, they wanted it to be correct. We were still years away from unless findings of a virus, you had health experts like Fauci on TV. Faucci I first heard of the in the Tom Hanks produced The Eighties documentary with the episode on AIDS. That was also where I heard about various groups including ACT-UP.

What got Fauci's name somewhat out during AIDS was the April 1990 ACT-UP protest at the NIAID. Not the meeting itself Fauci had where he actually listened to the protesters, the protests and the potential arrests. The Eighties is currently on Hulu and I would suggest watching it for anyone arguing Fauci's spot in it.

Am I saying Fauci was 100% right during it, no. He likely was given what he was given by big pharma. Members of ACT-UP and other groups were desperate and tried whatever they could get their hands on if they were HIV positive. Fauci maybe didn't know about other treatments due to no journalization of it. Fauci later looked into what ACT-UP brought to the table. Why, because he cares about people? Why did he not talk HCQ during the Trump days, because he wasn't sure if it would help people or not.
Thank you for that accurate and reasoned response.

Living in SF starting in 1983 I of course heard of HIV/AIDS, but it wasn't something I dealt with personally. A former coworker and still friend is very active in the SF gay community and was also involved with ACT-UP and other organizations through those years. He posted a picture recently from a trip he made to the International AIDS conference in Amsterdam, 1992. That was the first time he heard Fauci give a presentation.

No one has ever said Fauci is perfect. Of course he isn't, he's human. He earned the respect of millions of people around the world and actually has a background in infectious disease research and control over many decades. He's certainly not the enemy some believe. Once upon a time people wanted information, even if the news wasn't positive or uplifting, even if it was scary and frustrating.

Old 08-01-2021, 04:54 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I get it.

No one wants to listen to the government, no trust, blah blah blah.

And Fauci was on the front lines of trying to communicate and inform, as the virus was trying to be figured out and all of that. Imperfect, yes. Made mistakes along the way? yes. A fraud? No. He's not pretending to be a scientist, he *is* a scientist and has worked in public health for decades.

You don't 'like' the news and want it to be different? Well that sucks, because a virus doesn't care about what you or I like, believe, disbelieve or anything else.

Dr. Fauci's work during the AIDS crisis starting in the '80s (under Reagan) and continuing on from there, made him a HERO to millions of people.

Why?

Because Fauci was the one who helped the activists (Act Up, and other groups) get in the door with the FDA and get a "seat at the table." The HIV/AIDS community of sufferers were trying to save theirs' and others' lives. Drug trials were slow, the FDA was glacial in their pace. Fauci assisted in getting members of these groups on panels to work with the FDA, so they could get promising drugs much faster than otherwise. Protocols for testing were established with participation by educated activists. This was a *very* active and inspiring effort. And it was no small feat.

So when you're busy disparaging Dr. Fauci because you think he's colluding or something to hurt people, you need to get some perspective on who he is and his history.

Read, learn, ponder.

He's not evil, and he's not a fraud. He's also not perfect. But he gets the data, he talks to the scientists, and he sees what is emerging. SARS2Covid was new, and knowledge about it has grown exponentially.

Hate him if that makes you feel better, but he's still an important contributor to science, research, and understanding infectious diseases.

Whenever I want the news to be different, I just wait for Fauci to reverse himself.

Old 08-01-2021, 05:10 PM

I guess people expect all the answers to any science mystery on Day 1, and then it can *never* be altered, ever, ever. Nope, no such thing as learning and revising as more information and data becomes available, which is the scientific method. No way. It has to be perfect and cannot change.

Old 08-01-2021, 05:24 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Not much has changed.. he was political then and also a political idiot today.

Old 08-01-2021, 05:48 PM

1,094 posts, read 884,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I get it.

No one wants to listen to the government, no trust, blah blah blah.

And Fauci was on the front lines of trying to communicate and inform, as the virus was trying to be figured out and all of that. Imperfect, yes. Made mistakes along the way? yes. A fraud? No. He's not pretending to be a scientist, he *is* a scientist and has worked in public health for decades.

You don't 'like' the news and want it to be different? Well that sucks, because a virus doesn't care about what you or I like, believe, disbelieve or anything else.

Dr. Fauci's work during the AIDS crisis starting in the '80s (under Reagan) and continuing on from there, made him a HERO to millions of people.

Why?

Because Fauci was the one who helped the activists (Act Up, and other groups) get in the door with the FDA and get a "seat at the table." The HIV/AIDS community of sufferers were trying to save theirs' and others' lives. Drug trials were slow, the FDA was glacial in their pace. Fauci assisted in getting members of these groups on panels to work with the FDA, so they could get promising drugs much faster than otherwise. Protocols for testing were established with participation by educated activists. This was a *very* active and inspiring effort. And it was no small feat.

So when you're busy disparaging Dr. Fauci because you think he's colluding or something to hurt people, you need to get some perspective on who he is and his history.

Read, learn, ponder.

He's not evil, and he's not a fraud. He's also not perfect. But he gets the data, he talks to the scientists, and he sees what is emerging. SARS2Covid was new, and knowledge about it has grown exponentially.

Hate him if that makes you feel better, but he's still an important contributor to science, research, and understanding infectious diseases.
Faucist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies