Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2021, 10:56 AM

2,400 posts, read 783,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDidIt View Post
Unless you are in Orlando, which the job market is limited. I know people who wanted a real high income livable wages, they leave FL.
An adult does what has to be done. A child doesn't. These people need to transition into the "adult" version of the species.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2021, 11:00 AM

78,431 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Except that the topic of this thread is one of those areas.

Something that always gets lost in these discussions: why should someone who has lived in a particular area their entire life and has family and other connections in that area, have to leave and move thousands of miles away to enjoy a a decent standard of living?
No, there are no guarantees in life, but still…
I was clarifying to people that couldn't wrap their heads around the concept of houses costing 150k or less in response to other peoples posts. I thought that showing the math would be of use, we have a lot of posters here that have a sub-rudimentary understanding of economics and finance.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
Why does a single minimum wage worker need two bedrooms?

Yeah, roomates

There is a massive underbelly supporting Orlando tourism that extends well beyond Disney and other top attractions. And they all have to live somewhere.

The need for 2 br is likely because the worker has children or other dependents.

There are tens of thousands of hotel/ motel rooms in the greater Orlando area. Some motels have been abandoned and taken over by homeless people, despite lack of electricity or potable water. True hell holes.

Other, seriously aging motels are increasingly used as subsidized housing for families. Families tend to pack into 2 adjoining motel rooms. School buses routinely pick up/ drop off at these motels. Meals are prepared on hot plates and food stored in mini fridges as there are no cooking/ refrigeration facilities.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:11 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
The greater the influx of population the less resources per person there are. This causes increased demand and prices to rise (inflation). You also have a global increase in population which is causing a significant strain on global commodities that america must compete for to purchase in markets.
Pure bs in a global economy.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
The very first post is about housing costs, as in RENTING, not buying.
Thread title says rental not housing cost but I see your point but it's moot regardless.

Rentals and purchase prices are highly correlated.

The math is driven by the risk adjusted rate of return on investment for renters but the other factors like property taxes etc. are fairly equivalent.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:12 AM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
Florida voted 60% to raise minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2026. The first increase should be kicking in soon.. Minimum wage proponents in Florida got what they wanted. Bernie Sanders proposal in 2019-2020 was $15 by 2025.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:15 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Illegals are a bogeyman in this conversation to distract from the point. No person should struggle to pay for housing, food, clothing, medical care, child care, and education while working a 40 hour week. Anything short of that is an excuse.

There is no real world evidence that raising minimum wage has the severe impact suggested by pure supply/demand curves.
Ok, easy question for you. The minimum wage has been in effect since the 1930s. Can you point to a time during the intervening period when raising the minimum wage had the long term effect of lifting minimum wage earners out of poverty? For the sake of this discussion, let’s define long term as five or more years.

The truth which you will deny is that anyone making minimum wage will always be economically disadvantaged simply because they are making the minimum wage. Raising that minimum to any magic number will make zero difference in the long term.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:18 AM

21,865 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
While I sympathize, I still don't understand why some people never seem to get it that minimum wage style work was never meant to be a livable wage type of work. Even if they raise the minimum wage to $15 for such work, it's still nowhere enough near to get decent housing and all.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/re...aOH?li=BBnbfcL
Why does one person need the median 2bd apartment? When I was in college, the first year I got suckered by the live in the dorms for the full experience. I'm mixed on that. It was nice but really expensive. The next year I lives across the street from the dorms in a dump if an apartment. Four guys in a 2bd/1ba roach motel. It was dirt cheap which was the main consideration. I was working in a retail pharmacy at the time so getting hours was tough as a lot of the employees were college students and wanted the weekends. Later that year landed a job at the hospital which was mostly nights a d weekends. Also paid better. Shared the master bedroom in a house that year. Last year was a 2bd/2ba apartment with my own room. Luxury. By then I was making a bit over 20 an hour with the shift differential though so even not full-time I could afford half of a 2bd apartment.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Florida voted 60% to raise minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2026. The first increase should be kicking in soon.. Minimum wage proponents in Florida got what they wanted. Bernie Sanders proposal in 2019-2020 was $15 by 2025.
I fully support FL's choice to do this.

What will occur and that there is a range of worker skills in that niche, let's say this is The Widget Works and they have employees ranging from Latoya who was a good worker this benefits her and then you have Steve that is a bad worker. To save on costs (and this is what Target did after their increases) they fired Steve for showing up late etc. and introduced automation or just run with less staff than before or hires a subcontractor that comes in to clean at night (illegals) that they can pay below min wage.

What occurs then is that Steve finds himself priced out of the market at some point, the guys is just not worth the required minimum wage.

<<<<Please note, this is what the CBO says will happen and I don't care what happens, just explaining>>>>>

So the issue is that for low performers due to whatever affliction, mental impairment, substance abuse etc. they have that are not low enough to get disability....they're going to be squeezed hard by the higher min. wage.

So folks, this will help the Latoya workers achieve more livability....but what now happens to the Steves is the ignored and unanswered question the "fight for $15" folks are missing.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:31 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Why does one person need the median 2bd apartment?
I had roommates until I was in my late twenties and could afford a one-bedroom apartment. There were three of us in a two-bedroom apartment. We each had our own room -- I got the living room, lucky me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies