Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the NFL and other Pro-Sports Leagues Get Free Government Money?
Yes: It is a wise investment 4 4.49%
Unsure 6 6.74%
No: Let them sink or swim on their own 79 88.76%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 09:10 AM

9,080 posts, read 6,305,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Progressive liberal here.

I agree 100% with this post.

I have a feeling this is one issue where we all will be on the same side.
Neither R's nor D's should be demonized as the enemy. The true enemy is the billionaires that attempt to hoard all the money and wealth. If these billionaire team owners get the stadiums 100% paid for with taxpayer dollars then taxpayers should get free admission 365 days a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2021, 09:20 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,928,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMK View Post
Go Bills!
People in NY like paying taxes.

Republicans apparently like paying taxes too. Republicans in Nevada voted in the largest tax in the state's history to fund the Raiders stadium, Allegiant Field. The vast majority of Nevadans, including Las Vegas residents, did NOT want the tax increase and therefore the historically red state voted the Republicans out the next election cycle (2016) and Nevada has been a blue state ever since.

Old 08-02-2021, 09:24 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
A billionaire asking tax payers to pay for a place for his millionaire employees to work, lol.

Sounds like a business model from the P T Barnum School of Business.

Old 08-02-2021, 09:25 AM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Progressive liberal here.

I agree 100% with this post.

I have a feeling this is one issue where we all will be on the same side.
Heck yes.

Play sportsball on your own dime.

Old 08-02-2021, 09:36 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Yesterday I read, but I don't vouch for it, that the team had floated moving to Austin, Texas. Lots of jabber on Twitter about whether Jerry Jones of the Dallas Cowboys would be against it. Does Houston still have a team?
Houston has the Texans; they were an expansion team that joined the league after the Oilers moved to Tennessee and became the Titans.

I could see where Jerry Jones would balk at another NFL franchise in Texas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
But in both the conservative and liberal states they will find a way for this to go through. Because the lobbyists will bribe the liberal and conservative politicians in states like NY and TX to get their votes. The only suckers are us.
Yet voters keep approving bond issues, sales taxes, and the like to fund new stadiums. I voted yes for the sales tax to fund Great American Ball Park and Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati, not because I thought two new stadiums was a good idea, not because I thought or cared that Mike Brown would go through with his tepid threats to move the Bengals, but because I knew two new stadiums was inevitable.

Old 08-02-2021, 09:41 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I think the poll could be skewed by a back yard perspective.

Poll people in western New York if they want tax payers to foot the bill so the Buffalo Bills don't leave and it might win where their fans and a few businesses would support it.

However, most studies say it doesn't add back a lot.

Governments spend money on/taxpayers are burdened with a lot of things I don't think should exist.

At least with a stadium (generally, not specific to Buffalo), the money is being spent on something I like .

Old 08-02-2021, 09:46 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 19 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,533,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Republicans apparently like paying taxes too. Republicans in Nevada voted in the largest tax in the state's history to fund the Raiders stadium, Allegiant Field. The vast majority of Nevadans, including Las Vegas residents, did NOT want the tax increase and therefore the historically red state voted the Republicans out the next election cycle (2016) and Nevada has been a blue state ever since.
The Stadium Senate vote was 16-5, meaning 5 Dems voted with Republicans. i cant find the house vote but im guessing it was similar.

There are a lot of things to blame Republicans for, this aint one of them.

Old 08-02-2021, 09:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
NFL teams have been pulling this stunt for years. States, counties and local government have been funding, supporting and securing stadiums, since forever.

Just say no.

Old 08-02-2021, 09:52 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
As the NFL goes more woke I'd like to think that less revenue will end up in the hands of these billionaires and cities won't go give handouts to teams to try and attract them....truth is through sports fans spend lots of money on their hobby and though they might disagree with these tax hikes to pay for stadiums the politicians know people will still go to the games so they pass these things anyways.

Look at how much Bucks tickets costed for their final game with Arizona... When seating capacity is limited it doesn't take that many die hard sports fans as a percentage of the population to fill stadiums and drive this industry. Plus all the big money that flows in during playoffs/finals...if buffalo thinks they can draw a super bowl by constructing a new stadium....I can see why they approve these things....they think the revenue generated will eventually pay for the stadium.

I'd tell the owners to pound sand but they won't listen to me. They don't want to lose their NFL team to another city. It's supply and demand...there are more cities than there is NFL teams which gives team owners leverage to try to bargain with cities.

Old 08-02-2021, 09:54 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Conservative here.

I think it's Ridiculous.

The local govt doesn't fund my business or give me any tax breaks.

Why help out a billionaire?
I seriously doubt the government isn’t giving businesses tax breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies