Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 10:04 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times

Advertisements

I wanted to be a pediatric neurosurgeon who *also* ran a bookstore-pet store combo. You know, in my abundant free time. Then I realized that I'd have to crack open peoples' skulls, so I settled on playing for the WNBA. I didn't understand why people looked at my parents and laughed. I topped out at 5'4.

My brother wanted to be an MLB pitcher who moonlit as a jazz trumpet player, but if that didn't work, he wanted to be a lawyer who worked with lonely old people in Florida so they would will their life savings to him.

I'm happy to say that while our childhood ambitions didn't come to fruition, we both are well adjusted, successful people with careers in boring, grown-up fields that we knew nothing about (or, in my case, didn't exist) when we were kids.

All that wishing and hoping and dreaming is normal for kids. The important thing is that the adults in the kids' lives help them develop the skills to follow their dreams so that dreams become reality, even if those dreams shift when suddenly made concrete. And the skills to be a YouTuber can be applied to many "normal" careers - public speaking, writing, digital marketing (including SEO, social media, website design, accessibility), research, and videography (including planning, scripting, lighting, filming, editing). And that's all before getting into the topics they cover themselves! Some require more skill or knowledge than others, but working on a skill (like music, makeup artistry, comedy) and sharpening your follow through skills are a skill in of itself.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:11 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Not doctors, scientists or engineers but YouTubers. If this is true the Chinese must be licking their chops assuming America is on the decline sooner than they anticipated.

https://mediakix.com/blog/percent-ch...ng-a-youtuber/

It's not the vast majority. 1000 kids were asked, and given choices to choose from.

I mean...heck, if 10 million kids were asked, maybe you'd have a point.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:15 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
When I grow up......

Fast forward to about 3:15

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2u9pbp

Old 08-04-2021, 10:16 AM

2,367 posts, read 909,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
It's not the vast majority. 1000 kids were asked, and given choices to choose from.

And the Pfizer vaccine efficacy rate of 95% was based on 170 people! I know this is off topic. I'm agree with you that stats from bigger samples are more meaningful.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post

That's not how statistics work.

A sample of a thousand, as long as the SELECTION of respondents is random from the available pool and the results will be reasonably accurate to within 5-10% or so.

For example, if I have a bag with 1million beans in it and some are large, some small, colors green, blue or red....with 1000 picks you can reasonably estimate how many of each type there are.

It's about diminished gain from additional observation.

This is proven science, it's repeatable and verifiable like gravity and bread getting moldy after a while.

If you want to argue selection bias and poorly worded questions then you have a possible argument.

Last edited by Mathguy; 08-04-2021 at 11:40 AM..

Old 08-04-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
And the Pfizer vaccine efficacy rate of 95% was based on 170 people! I know this is off topic. I'm agree with you that stats from bigger samples are more meaningful.
It was based on 40,000 people and then a comparison between the vaccinated and control group members to see how many from each got COVID.

https://hbr.org/2020/12/covid-19-vac...-data-literacy

Regardless, this is an apples\oranges comparison to polling accuracy sample sizes.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:53 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Not doctors, scientists or engineers but YouTubers. If this is true the Chinese must be licking their chops assuming America is on the decline sooner than they anticipated.

https://mediakix.com/blog/percent-ch...ng-a-youtuber/

You might be surprised how difficult it is to constantly create excellent content and build up a lot of subscribers. It’s harder than it looks.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:14 PM

7,369 posts, read 3,533,397 times
Where you see a weakness I see an opportunity. There will be a huge demand for mental health professionals as well as skilled trade workers in the future. There is my free advice. That liberal arts degree will be absolutely useless.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post

And, well, let's mention that the article is from a marketing magazine, AND the kids had to choose from a given list. It's not like the kids got to put down anything they wanted.

It's like saying "Do you want to be a zoo keeper or a cowboy rancher when you grow up?"

Old 08-04-2021, 12:25 PM

When my youngest graduated from Kindergarten, all the kids got to walk up to the microphone and tell the audience what they wanted to be when they grew up. Lots of them wanted to be teachers, firemen, babysitters, mommas and daddys, but one little boy...

He walks up to the microphone, stands up on his tiptoes to reach the mike, and says in his southern accent "When I grow up, I want to be a maker of new Godzilla movies!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies