Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 05:36 PM

30,141 posts, read 11,778,294 times

Advertisements

I am not pro drunk driving. I am sure almost no one is. But is this the way to? Should we allow the government to monitor us when we get in our cars? I am against it. Next they will monitor your speed and where you are going. I would guess many municipalities would be against it because DUI's make them a lot of money.

https://freebeacon.com/politics/infr...-all-new-cars/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 05:39 PM

45,217 posts, read 26,427,822 times
Drunk driving is a crime in search of a victim. So no to breathalyzers in cars.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coccino View Post
Every year 1.5 million people are arrested for drunk driving, so I'm gonna say that claim is NOT true.
Lots of reasons people get nailed for drunk driving. Supporting drunk driving is not one of the reasons. Poor judgement usually is.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coccino View Post
If you can't tell when you're drunk then you shouldn't be allowed to drink or drive.

Its a common problem.

We could put speed regulators and make smart phones stop working when you go over a certain speed. Speeding and distracted driving cause deaths too. How far do you want to go with this?

Old 08-04-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Drunk driving is a crime in search of a victim. So no to breathalyzers in cars.

I believe DUI checkpoints are unconstitutional. Just being on the road at midnight is not reasonable suspicion. I would think forced breathalyzer checks for everyone would also be unconstitutional.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:51 PM

18,724 posts, read 7,602,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Next they will monitor your speed and where you are going.
They already do that. All new cars have a "black box" that keeps records of how fast you are going, how far you are turning the steering wheel, how hard you are pressing the brake pedal etc. The cops can subpoena it and dump out the data after you crash. Big Brother is definitely watching you.

They did that when Tiger Woods crashed. That's how they knew he never hit the brake pedal, and didn't steer until the very end of the crash, even though he said he couldn't remember anything about the crash.

Quote:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ay/7151217002/

Collision report reveals Tiger Woods' confusion, low blood pressure in Southern California crash

by Brent Schrotenboer
USA TODAY

According to data from the vehicle’s black-box recorder, Woods also was going in a straight line with no steering input detected until some slight steering movement registered late in the recorded crash sequence.

Instead of staying with his lane as it curved right, Woods went straight into the median shortly after 7 a.m. local time on Feb. 23. He struck a curb, mowed down a wooden sign and drove into opposing lanes before hitting a tree and rolling over in Rolling Hills Estates south of downtown Los Angeles. He suffered broken bones in his right leg that could jeopardize his golf career.

After hitting the median, he traveled a distance of several hundred feet with no evidence of braking. Woods instead suddenly applied the gas pedal at 99% in the final seconds before hitting the raised median that separates the north and south lanes of the road, according the report.

“The data here supports that he was not conscious,” Cherney said Wednesday. "I’m seeing the brakes off the entire time. I don’t see any steering at all (until late in the recorded crash sequence). That’s not indicative of emergency steering at all. This is not consistent with somebody who’s awake behind the wheel.”

Last edited by Roboteer; 08-04-2021 at 06:05 PM..

Old 08-04-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
They already do that. All new cars have a "black box" that keeps records of how fast you are going, how far you are turning the steering wheel, how hard you are pressing the brake pedal etc. The cops can subpoena it and dump out the data after you crash.

They did that when Tiger Woods crashed. That's how they knew he never hit the brake pedal, even though he said he couldn't remember anything about the crash.

I am talking real time. Like you cannot go over the speed limit or use your phone.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:58 PM

78,357 posts, read 60,556,941 times
The odds of this remaining in the bill are hopefully low.

It requires PASSIVE detection through finger sensors and\or air sampling which is not going to be cheap.

Average new cars are already over 40k....so what's another 1-2k added on right? Ugh.

I agree with the other poster that if you're going to go this route you need a car that also won't let you look at your cell phone screen. You also need to be able to sense drug impairment.

Lastly, we have many states in this country where 1/6th of the people drive without car insurance, many are illegal.

The worst offenders are just going to illegally bypass this anyway.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:00 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,834 times
Has anyone fact-checked this "free beacon' article? I doubt it very much, given the source.

But, lots of strange things can sneak into a Bill. Perhaps it is something about how a vehicle can be easily transformed into such a device?

Old 08-04-2021, 06:05 PM

25,717 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Another example of the slow creep to communism.

I say we test is on all politicians cars first, & their immediate families cars too.

Lobbyists too.

After 10 years of testing, let's evaluate the results and see if they still want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies