Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support women having to register for the draft?
Yes (and I'm a woman) 20 14.81%
Yes (and I'm a man) 67 49.63%
No (and I'm a woman) 15 11.11%
No (and I'm a man) 33 24.44%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 07:49 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,968,029 times

Advertisements

"Equality" works both ways.

In the "old days" we knew it's stupid to have women fight wars. We would call men who wanted to compete with women in sports jerks trying to gain an unfair advantage, and we would never expose our women to the atrocities of war. People have known this for literally thousands of years now.

But for some reason that has all changed in like the last 10 years. Now, if you're on the left, you're viewed as some sort of a "phobe" if you don't think men should be allowed to play against women (as long as they call themselves women), and you also have to say that women can fight on the front lines. You guys have sort of boxed yourselves in, and now the logical fallacies are playing out to their ends in the real world, forcing you to either be consistent and support idiocy, or be called a "phobe" by your own definitions.

So, naturally, the left has to support women entering the draft. I'm not even talking about an exceptional woman. I'm talking about a general draft. 18 year old women who were cheerleaders on their high school team one day, are drafted into the service the next (just like 18 year old men were playing football one day and at Parris Island the next throughout the 20th century).

Gotta support it, right? What say you?

** Note: Pick what you think is optimal, not what you think will "teach them a lesson about equality." I know some people who don't think women should be doing that, but who would say "Hey, they wanted to be equal, right?"

Last edited by paracord; 08-02-2021 at 08:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2021, 07:52 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
You are making a lot of presumptions about 'the left'.

Nevertheless, I am for it.

From what I have seen, those most vocal about women signing up for the draft is the conservative Christians, whom believe that a woman's place is in the home having babies.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:53 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,968,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
You are making a lot of presumptions about 'the left'.

Nevertheless, I am for it.

From what I have seen, those most vocal about women signing up for the draft is the conservative Christians, whom believe that a woman's place is in the home having babies.
Uh huh. I'm going to bet that the average woke 18 year old woman is going to say "wait a minute....I have to do WHAT???" No thanks. I'm out. I'm not THAT woke

Old 08-02-2021, 07:55 AM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
It's only fair.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:07 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Uh huh. I'm going to bet that the average woke 18 year old woman is going to say "wait a minute....I have to do WHAT???" No thanks. I'm out. I'm not THAT woke
Yeah, that is not really responsive to my posting.

Here:

https://www.christianexaminer.com/ne...l-assault.html

https://www.rollcall.com/2021/07/23/...men-for-draft/

https://sojo.net/articles/southern-b...-service-women

Now, I recognize that plenty of liberals are against the idea (some, like Senator Warren, appears to be against any draft registration).

Indeed, with an all volunteer military, why register? Prior to 1940, conscription was used when the nation was actually at war. In 1940, since Congress saw which way the wind was blowing, they instituted 'peace time' registration:

https://www.sss.gov/history-and-records/

If we get involved in another world war, then the draft can be whipped up in no time.

Of note: I of course registered for the draft when I turned 18. My number was also in the last draft lottery of that year, 1973. Since Nixon had stopped the draft, then it was a moot issue (I think my number was 155, but that was a long time ago).

Old 08-02-2021, 08:09 AM

1,702 posts, read 784,614 times
Yes, but only to combat support units. NOT infantry, if there ever was another draft

Old 08-02-2021, 08:11 AM

10,484 posts, read 7,014,991 times
Women do not belong in the military period.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:12 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
I believe men and women are equal in VALUE. That doesn’t mean we are cut out to do everything the same.

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
"Equality" works both ways.

In the "old days" we knew it's stupid to have women fight wars. We would call men who wanted to compete with women in sports jerks trying to gain an unfair advantage, and we would never expose our women to the atrocities of war. People have known this for literally thousands of years now.

But for some reason that has all changed in like the last 10 years. Now, if you're on the left, you're viewed as some sort of a "phobe" if you don't think men should be allowed to play against women (as long as they call themselves women), and you also have to say that women can fight on the front lines. You guys have sort of boxed yourselves in, and now the logical fallacies are playing out to their ends in the real world, forcing you to either be consistent and support idiocy, or be called a "phobe" by your own definitions.

So, naturally, the left has to support women entering the draft. I'm not even talking about an exceptional woman. I'm talking about a general draft. 18 year old women who were cheerleaders on their high school team one day, are drafted into the service the next (just like 18 year old men were playing football one day and at Parris Island the next throughout the 20th century).

Gotta support it, right? What say you?

** Note: Pick what you think is optimal, not what you think will "teach them a lesson about equality." I know some people who don't think women should be doing that, but who would say "Hey, they wanted to be equal, right?"
Its not so much about equality and nothing to do with transgenders in sports.
In "the old days" or until a few years ago women WERE NOT PERMITTED IN COMBAT. Women could join the military, they could be deployed, the could die from enemy assaults, but could not technically be in combat roles. Since women were not allowed in combat roles, they could not be drafted. Since it is now legal for women to fight in combat roles they should also be required to sign up for the draft.

I do not agree with allowing transgender to compete in women's sports, I do agree with women being drafted along with men, I lean right.

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
I don't know why anyone has to register for the draft.
I spent 9 years in the navy back when there was an actual draft. I really don't see a return to those days.

So, no. No one at all should register.
It's been nearly 50 years since the draft was abolished. That means there is no government employee left who has actually drafted anyone. I could live until the year 2073 and still see people registering for something that hasn't existed in 100 years. By 2173 there will, in all likelihood be little need for national defense because of worldwide population decline*. But it's government. They will protect their jobs at all cost.

*Russia will barely have 50M people; China, 580M according to UN estimates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies