Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2021, 08:59 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easternman View Post
While the vaccination rate in the US reaches 70%, African American people are among the lowest vaccinated group at 25%. Even third-world nations have a higher percentage rate than that.

How will the government gain black people's trust to go and vaccinate themselves? Especially when black people and vaccination have a dark history in the US. Most of the older folks, the parents and grandparents of this generation still remember the Tuskegee experiment which is "arguably the most infamous biomedical research study in U.S. history".

How to possibly gain black people's trust to vaccinate after such a nefarious human experiment? How could they 'trust science'?
My wife and I--both black--have been trying to get our black friends to get vaccinated for months. Their excuses are not the Tuskegee experiment.

All of their excuses echo Republican anti-vaxxers. They're saying exactly the same words, using exactly the same broken rationale as Republican anti-vaxxers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 09:03 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
"MAKE"??!!

Glad I didn't write that title.
Context is important...

Old 08-06-2021, 09:05 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I thought the Delta variant was more contagious but less deadly. Is the vaccine getting false credit for the less serious Delta variant? I haven't read one post regarding what people of any race are going to do if they are forced to get the mRNA vaccine if mandated by the government upon approval. How would the gov. enforce it, with fines, jail, take driver's licenses away, etc?
The sooner Delta blows through the population and everyone gets it the better so we can be done with the pandemic

Old 08-06-2021, 09:05 AM

Inconvenient truths

Old 08-06-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The sooner Delta blows through the population and everyone gets it the better so we can be done with the pandemic
There will be no 'done with it' due to variants developing, but we will reach herd immunity and therapeutics will be the treatment of choice ... like the flu. Expect boosters to be offered, but I do not believe this will be defeated like polio was.

In much the same way as over use of anti biotics create super bugs, that logic is applicable for viruses too. Natural immunities are usually best. The body is the miracle.

I'm vaccinated

Old 08-06-2021, 09:19 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
but I do not believe this will be defeated like polio was
Definitely not, because polio is spread by poop and COVID is spread by breathing. We may have HIV defeated soon, but that's because it's spread through bodily fluid contact

The flu we deal with every year is the descendant of the 1918 Pandemic that killed millions. Most of the population developed immunity to death but 100 years later we still get the flu every year. COVID will be the same as the flu

Old 08-06-2021, 09:19 AM

1,969 posts, read 676,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
There will be no 'done with it' due to variants developing, but we will reach herd immunity and therapeutics will be the treatment of choice ... like the flu. Expect boosters to be offered, but I do not believe this will be defeated like polio was.

In much the same way as over use of anti biotics create super bugs, that logic is applicable for viruses too. Natural immunities are usually best. The body is the miracle.

I'm vaccinated
Can you expand on this? Especially your thoughts on why polio is different?

Old 08-06-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiatype View Post
Can you expand on this? Especially your thoughts on why polio is different?
Well back in the day.... we trusted government and science, that helped. The vaccination rate was higher with multiple boosters. Most got 3-4 shots over time. The shots were modified live virus and there were many side affects. The program started in the early 50's and by 1979 the virus was eradicated in the US. Takes time and improvements with the vaccine helped.

https://www.cdc.gov/polio/what-is-polio/polio-us.html

Old 08-06-2021, 10:02 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Singling out black people, rather than implementing measures to improve vaccination among all groups, would be racist. Please don't tell me we need another civil rights movement (oh wait, we already do. With all the voter suppression laws being put out).

Old 08-06-2021, 10:03 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Oh I forgot to mention that the Black community often has access to inferior lower credentialed Physicians who often do no research and have little to no insight or guidance on vaccine allergies or potential complications.

My father's Cardiologist is very mediocre and cannot seem to arrive at a timely conclusion on a vaccine recommendation. Pfizer can cause heart inflammation, J&J has blood clot risk, so Moderna seems to be the logical choice. But he is still dilly daddling twiddling his thumbs, in the meantime my Dad is at increased risk with this Delta variant.

The American (Black) consumer is left to their own devices to figure it all out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies