Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2022, 08:43 AM

2,394 posts, read 1,009,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1) Yes. Many did. There are many good books or even yotube videos on Japanese war crime trials. Many of their leaders committed suicide along the way so there is that consideration that it's hard to prosecute them in that case.

2) Japan wasn't surrendering. Hard to blame us for not being "diplomatic". ESPECIALLY because Japan was trying to negotiate thru Russia.

Now think about that last point and check this out, pay close attention to the date Russia declared war on them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet...93Japanese_War

Russia wasn't going to let any peace deal happen until they got the payback and land in the far-east.

1) You're omitting how the US "recruited" a whole division of Japanese scientist war criminals engaged in researching biochemical weapons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Ah, so now you're not questioning what I wrote, you're excusing by saying "it ended the war" when what truly moved Japan to surrender wasn't even the nukes.

Read the book, it's a good one. Tons of info.

The guy you're responding too is known to move goal posts whenever you engage him.

Old 08-29-2022, 09:27 AM

79,212 posts, read 61,326,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
1) You're omitting how the US "recruited" a whole division of Japanese scientist war criminals engaged in researching biochemical weapons.
I omitted lots of stuff that I'm aware of from WW2....there is a character limit to posts after all.

The US scooped up scientists from all over the Axis powers.

Old 08-29-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
So more gibberish.

Do you finally admit that you posited RACISM as a reason we nuked Japan? I think you admitted it, thankfully

Holy cow you are all over the place.

I'm starting to think you have no point and you're just posting nonsense in order to troll us.

It's not all over the place. It's scientifically proven that an individual is more able to sympathize with someone of the same race as them.
It's precisely the reason the cop sympathized with the white gunman that killed 8 in Atlanta by projecting that he was "just having a bad day", whereas had it been a black gunman, he more than likely would not have made that statement.

Old 08-29-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Indeed - Japan would have surrendered WITHOUT the atomic bombs. This alone detonates what so many on C-D believe, that nuking Hiroshima and Nagasaki forced Japan to surrender.

The Japanese high command had learned unknown weapons had been used and that they were highly destructive, but the reports they got was that the destruction was similar to that endured by Tokyo in March 9-10, when the city was firebombed. As well, given that almost every single town and city of 30k inhabitants or more had been struck by bombs, the Japanese high command was already aware the Allies had unchallenged superiority in the air and that they had the capacity to wreak havoc on Japanese cities at will.

What alarmed the Japanese high command to the extent the emperor himself got involved was the news that on August 8, the USSR declared war on Japan. Between the time Germany surrendered and those fateful early August days, Stalin ordered dozens of thousands of battle-hardened veterans from Europe across Siberia towards Manchuria. Well-supplied and backed by tanks, the Red Army crossed the Yalu and the Japanese Kwangtung army, itself quite strong, was no match for it. Within days, the Soviets had not only taken Manchukuo and arrested/captured thousands of Imperial Japanese troops (some of whom would never see Japan again), but their progress was so quick that the Soviets were in northern Korea within days as well.

This is what terrified Japan. They feared Stalin and communism and did not want Japan taken by Soviet troops. And this is why surrender ultimately came. They understood the effects of the atomic bombing later on, even though they did issue a protest because this new and unknown weapon of great destructive power had been used over two civilian centers.

As bad as Pearl Harbor was, Pearl was a military installation. Nagasaki actually housed Asia's largest Christian church, and by nuking that city, the aircrew of all-baptized American Christian boys managed to do what hundreds of years of persecution by the shogunate could not - almost completely eradicate Japanese Christianity.

All these little details get lost because people don't study history (not you - you've made it clear you've done your due diligence).

https://foreignpolicy.com/2013/05/30...an-stalin-did/

Old 08-29-2022, 12:34 PM

8,166 posts, read 3,157,173 times
Kaaaa......boooooom!

Old 08-29-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
It's not all over the place. It's scientifically proven that an individual is more able to sympathize with someone of the same race as them.
Didn't stop us from firebombing Dresden etc.

Additionally, the US treated Japan extremely well after the surrender. Any idea what the Chinese would have like to have done to them? The Koreans? Indians? Malaysians?

Pretty much *everybody* the Japanese came in contact with in WW2 utterly despised them. Why is that?

For example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_a...%20Philippines.

This is a "sanitized" version of events...let's just say that the filipino rebels made good use of their machetes and that there were few survivors among the Japanese guards.

Old 08-29-2022, 01:26 PM

14,161 posts, read 8,277,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Didn't stop us from firebombing Dresden etc.

Additionally, the US treated Japan extremely well after the surrender. Any idea what the Chinese would have like to have done to them? The Koreans? Indians? Malaysians?

Pretty much *everybody* the Japanese came in contact with in WW2 utterly despised them. Why is that?

For example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_a...%20Philippines.

This is a "sanitized" version of events...let's just say that the filipino rebels made good use of their machetes and that there were few survivors among the Japanese guards.

Yes, very true. I lived in Tokyo for over 30 years and found the war rarely discussed. The US went into overdrive to help rebuild Japan and prevent communism from gaining a toehold.

Now, the Japanese weren't sure what to expect once the Americans arrived. Many feared the worst and believed they would be enslaved. In addition winter was coming and people were starving. However, the Americans brought in a seemingly endless supply of food and needed goods.

I arrived in Tokyo in 1984 and over the years met many Japanese who lived through the war or grew up during the occupation. I felt very little animosity towards me as an American. By and large I found the Japanese like Americans and America very much.

On the other hand I spent a bit of time in Pusan, Korea during the 80's and needless to say almost all the Koreans I met hated the Japanese. Loved Americans through.

Side note: As I mentioned above I found the war rarely discussed by the Japanese. But there was a drugstore near where I lived and behind the counter was a photo of young pilot standing beside a Zero fighter plane. I asked the man working the register if that was him in the photo. He smiled and said yes.

I was young (24) when I moved to Japan and recall buying a t-shirt with the Japanese navel flag. I stopped wearing it because older, often drunk Japanese men would sometimes notice the shirt. They would laugh and toss their arms in the air shouting, "Banzai" as I walked passed

Last edited by john3232; 08-29-2022 at 01:57 PM..

Old 08-29-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Yes, very true. I lived in Tokyo for over 30 years and found the war rarely discussed. The US went into overdrive to help rebuild Japan and prevent communism from gaining a toehold.

Now, the Japanese weren't sure what to expect once the Americans arrived. Many feared the worst and believed they would be enslaved. In addition winter was coming and people were starving. However, the Americans brought in a seemingly endless supply of food and needed goods.

I arrived in Tokyo in 1984 and over the years met many Japanese who lived through the war or grew up during the occupation. I felt very little animosity towards me as an American. By and large I found the Japanese like Americans and America very much.

On the other hand I spent a bit of time in Pusan, Korea during the 80's and needless to say almost all the Koreans I met hated the Japanese. Loved Americans through.

Side note: As I mentioned above I found the war rarely discussed by the Japanese. But there was a drugstore near where I lived and behind the counter was a photo of young pilot standing beside a Zero fighter plane. I asked the man working the register if that was him in the photo. He smiled and said yes.

I was young (24) when I moved to Japan and recall buying a t-shirt with the Japanese navel flag. I stopped wearing it because older, often drunk Japanese men would sometimes notice the shirt. They would laugh and toss their arms in the air shouting, "Banzai" as I walked passed
Yeah, my friends from China are not big fans of Japan and they're in their 50's. But Japan did them pretty dirty for a long time.

Old 08-29-2022, 02:48 PM

17,845 posts, read 13,644,871 times
Quote:

Source?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies