Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 11:33 AM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

I've seen it reported on multiple news sites, it's in my news feed. CDC counted X cases, and the FL DOH says cases are being double counted. It's going to happen, and I'm sure it will be straightened out.

Even without those 3 days reported cases, FL is bad.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 11:35 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
The open desperation on display to avoid looking facts in the eye, it's freakin' depressing.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:36 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
All I know is I'm hearing personal stories from friends and family who are sounding the alarm on this Delta strain. My primary doctor had 12 cases of Covid on Sunday at the urgent care he works in. Today my friend in north FL had an appointment with her primary doctor. She was told he has 12 patients in ICU with Covid and lost two last night. Doesn't matter what kinds of questions are being raised. People are getting sick and dying.
Yes. After one year of avoiding the original covid, since June I personality know of 14, one, my son, still in ICU in a coma. No change today they said. He is in Miami the rest of us in Orlando so not sure who all was in his group who got sick. My ER nurse friends say they are making rooms for ICU beds. I don’t know the numbers, but people definitely getting sick.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:41 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Unpopular but logically sound opinion - we WANT more cases. Lots more.

"Cases" by itself is a meaningless number. A "case" doesn't cost any resources. A "case" doesn't indicate death or long term illness.

The more "cases" we have without a corresponding depletion in resources, the sooner we reach the goal everyone claims to be trying to achieve. The fewer "cases" we have, the longer it will take to achieve that goal, if it's ever achieved at all.

I've been saying for nearly two years that as this virus mutates, it's going to become more transmissible. It'll also become less deadly. You don't have to be a virologist to understand that every successful virus in the history of the world has done that, and this one will ultimately be no different. I've known that there will be countless "cases". The case count is irrelevant to anything but achieving herd immunity and drumming up FUD (Fear, Uncertainty & Doubt).

Old 08-10-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Yes. After one year of avoiding the original covid, since June I personality know of 14, one, my son, still in ICU in a coma. No change today they said. He is in Miami the rest of us in Orlando so not sure who all was in his group who got sick. My ER nurse friends say they are making rooms for ICU beds. I don’t know the numbers, but people definitely getting sick.
I am so sorry to hear about your son. I can't imagine what your family must be going through.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Unpopular but logically sound opinion - we WANT more cases. Lots more.

"Cases" by itself is a meaningless number. A "case" doesn't cost any resources. A "case" doesn't indicate death or long term illness.

The more "cases" we have without a corresponding depletion in resources, the sooner we reach the goal everyone claims to be trying to achieve. The fewer "cases" we have, the longer it will take to achieve that goal, if it's ever achieved at all.

I've been saying for nearly two years that as this virus mutates, it's going to become more transmissible. It'll also become less deadly. You don't have to be a virologist to understand that every successful virus in the history of the world has done that, and this one will ultimately be no different. I've known that there will be countless "cases". The case count is irrelevant to anything but achieving herd immunity and drumming up FUD (Fear, Uncertainty & Doubt).

That would be true if hospitalizations weren't also going up pretty dramatically. If it were just cases, I would agree.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:56 AM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
All I know is I'm hearing personal stories from friends and family who are sounding the alarm on this Delta strain. My primary doctor had 12 cases of Covid on Sunday at the urgent care he works in. Today my friend in north FL had an appointment with her primary doctor. She was told he has 12 patients in ICU with Covid and lost two last night. Doesn't matter what kinds of questions are being raised. People are getting sick and dying.

On the flip side - I know of 5 people who developed Covid - 4 between the ages of 62-70, one of which is very overwieght, and a 24 year old who gave it to them after attending a party. They all took the basic Hy/Int. and zinc and all recovered within a week. When people tell me they hear of others dying from Covid - it is most likely from something else but they also had Covid symptoms. You'd have to see the actual autopsy to know what is what.

Here it is the dead of summer and this is happening.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:04 PM

4,668 posts, read 4,980,348 times
A majority of the posts on this thread are essentially saying the same thing: "who cares if the CDC was dishonest with its reporting of data, it's the narrative that matters." Fortunately, I think the percentage of people who "think" like this is lower in real life. But this is what we're up against.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:05 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
On the flip side - I know of 5 people who developed Covid - 4 between the ages of 62-70, one of which is very overwieght, and a 24 year old who gave it to them after attending a party. They all took the basic Hy/Int. and zinc and all recovered within a week. When people tell me they hear of others dying from Covid - it is most likely from something else but they also had Covid symptoms. You'd have to see the actual autopsy to know what is what.

Here it is the dead of summer and this is happening.
And come this winter the case counts will go up somewhere else. The dead of summer is indoor weather in Florida. It’s hitting close to 100 degrees, so most people are trying to stay in air conditioning.

The gnashing of teeth over Florida’s case count is disingenuous. Per capita, we aren’t even in the top 5 for new cases. We have a 14% increase currently. Meanwhile, Louisiana is seeing a 20+% increase in cases and a few other states are also in the 20% range. Despite the drive to portray DeSantis as the current Antichrist, we actually aren’t doing as bad as the media likes to portray.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
A majority of the posts on this thread are essentially saying the same thing: "who cares if the CDC was dishonest with its reporting of data, it's the narrative that matters." Fortunately, I think the percentage of people who "think" like this is lower in real life. But this is what we're up against.
The CDC gets it's numbers from the states. This is like the first instance of a state saying "hey, you have the wrong numbers" in a year and a half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies