Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 11:09 AM

323 posts, read 129,787 times

Advertisements

California racing to the lowest common denominator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 11:09 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,538,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I looked this up because my friend's sister is a Calculus teacher in SF and they told her there were getting rid of it. The document I see certainly implies that is the intention. No?
Your friend’s sister needs to read the FAQs from your link. URL below.

https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/ma/cf/mathfwfaqs.asp

The subsection to read is titled, “ Does the draft Mathematics Framework remove high school calculus?”

Spoiler alert— the first word is “No.”

Old 08-15-2021, 11:12 AM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yes, the key point in the whole block of text is that there is too much remediation for Calculus when these HS calc students get to college.

Remediation at the college level is perceived as a waste of time and resources.
I rarely agree with you but I've had numerous college Calculus instructors tell me they wish that it would be dropped in high school. They claim that the students pick up bad habits that are difficult to shake when they get to college.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:17 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
It seems pointless to force every high schooler to learn calculus. It’s certainly a good idea for college-bound students who want to major in STEM. For everyone else, it’s probably not necessary.

With a solid foundation in algebra and basic trig, one can always start learning calculus in college if they so desire.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:17 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I had calculus in high school and 3 semesters of it in college. I found it interesting, but have never had to use it for anything since. On the other hand, I use algebra and trigonometry on a regular basis (not at work, just in everyday life). I suppose there are people who use calculus regularly in a non-educational context, but I'd be willing to bet it's rare. Calculus doesn't "feel" like foundational knowledge to me, unlike algebra and trig. As such, I find myself in the extremely uncomfortable position of agreeing with California on something.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:25 AM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It seems pointless to force every high schooler to learn calculus. It’s certainly a good idea for college-bound students who want to major in STEM. For everyone else, it’s probably not necessary.

With a solid foundation in algebra and basic trig, one can always start learning calculus in college if they so desire.
I don't know of any school (except maybe exclusive private ones) that require Calculus to be taken by everyone. I know no state has it as a graduation requirement.

Yes, you do have educational "experts" here who advocate for it.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:33 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I had calculus in high school and 3 semesters of it in college. I found it interesting, but have never had to use it for anything since. On the other hand, I use algebra and trigonometry on a regular basis (not at work, just in everyday life). I suppose there are people who use calculus regularly in a non-educational context, but I'd be willing to bet it's rare. Calculus doesn't "feel" like foundational knowledge to me, unlike algebra and trig. As such, I find myself in the extremely uncomfortable position of agreeing with California on something.
People take calculus after they have mastered the “foundational” Math classes like algebra and trig.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:34 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Very few people will ever need calculus or any kind of Algebra. I took Algebra and have NEVER used it. Calculus was not even offered when I was in high school and it is not required in college.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:37 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,228,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
I'm not saying a HS student cannot understand calculus. It's just that most HS math teachers lack the training to teach it properly.
I took Calculus in highschool, passed the AP with a 5, and it was MUCH better than in college. University professors are horrible in comparison, and they rush through and try to cram too much into a semester long course.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:37 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I rarely agree with you but I've had numerous college Calculus instructors tell me they wish that it would be dropped in high school. They claim that the students pick up bad habits that are difficult to shake when they get to college.
I took algebra in high school. In college they told us to forget what we had learned in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies