Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 12:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
Section 8 in my opinion is being abused like our welfare system! We (Americans) need to shout out against this abuse! Maybe we can use the money for the Poor who really need it and the Elderly.

Section 8 should have restrictions! Here's a list of mine.

a. If any member in your house commits a crime it's (section 8) cut off.

b. You must live clean, there is no excuse to live Poor and Dirty! NONE..

c. 6 year restriction, after that the tenants need to look to rent elsewhere.

Section 8 is creating projects in neighborhoods all across America. I'm so tired of seeing people that are able to work take advantage of the Elderly and the true Poor.

End Section 8 now!
I agree you took my exact thoughts.. it create projects.. it's a false economic uplift for the recipients. It destroys neighborhoods because of the single parent factor, that is unfortunatley not sufficient in raising children. I understand that times can be tough and that there are good single parents but the data clearly shows that the prison pop is largely atributed to broken families. section 8 users are largely single parents with little or no supervision and or control over their children.

It enables dependency. enough already we are broke!

Old 11-03-2010, 12:53 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,341,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I have no issue with the idea of section 8 housing. My issue is with the lack of over sight and the many abuses of the system. All can be managed but it would require more effort than desk jockies sitting around swapping life stories. By this I mean people going out into the field and verifying the tennents are living up to their end of the bargain.
Gee, you mean like the land lords who can kick them out if they trash his place?

Old 11-03-2010, 05:10 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,355,777 times
Default Excellent Family Values, Another Right to Life until Birther

Yes, kick everyone out in the streets.
Keep people in poverty.

You do realize that there are more homeless in the US than any other developed country I've ever visited.
Great thing to be known for.

Homelessness in America: Statistics and Prevention Programs
Homeless Statistics
The most proximate cause of homelessness in America is poverty. Statistics show between twenty and thirty percent of homeless families surveyed in 1996 said they had gone without food for part of the previous month (Burt, Aron, and Lee*). The homeless also face persistent deprivation and constant threat of harm. They spend more time in the hospital and in jail than their poor counterparts. The majority are victims of violent crimes, and one fourth lack needed medical care (Burt, Aron, and Lee*). Children in homeless families do worse in school and have lower attendance and more long-term absences (National Alliance to End Homelessness*).

Although single men constitute about sixty percent of the homeless population, families constitute about one third of all homeless and are the fastest-growing group of homeless.

Better hope you never lose your job or need a leg up.
Karma's a bear.

Don't tell me, you're a compassionate conservative.
I knew it!

Old 11-03-2010, 05:27 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,254,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yes, kick everyone out in the streets.
Keep people in poverty.

You do realize that there are more homeless in the US than any other developed country I've ever visited.
Great thing to be known for.

Homelessness in America: Statistics and Prevention Programs
Homeless Statistics
The most proximate cause of homelessness in America is poverty. Statistics show between twenty and thirty percent of homeless families surveyed in 1996 said they had gone without food for part of the previous month (Burt, Aron, and Lee*). The homeless also face persistent deprivation and constant threat of harm. They spend more time in the hospital and in jail than their poor counterparts. The majority are victims of violent crimes, and one fourth lack needed medical care (Burt, Aron, and Lee*). Children in homeless families do worse in school and have lower attendance and more long-term absences (National Alliance to End Homelessness*).

Although single men constitute about sixty percent of the homeless population, families constitute about one third of all homeless and are the fastest-growing group of homeless.

Better hope you never lose your job or need a leg up.
Karma's a bear.

Don't tell me, you're a compassionate conservative.
I knew it!
I live near section 8 housing, yet I see luxury cars in the parking lots. Why?

Old 11-03-2010, 05:28 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,967,873 times
OP - Great idea! I happen to own a company that supplies soup kitchen equipment and manufactures tents, cotton blankets and caskets. Business would be good under your plan.

PS: I own none of the above but you get the idea.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:24 AM

20,323 posts, read 21,131,892 times
They need to crackdown(pun?) on people abusing this priviledge. I have no problem at all with the people who honestly need and appreciate the help, and use S8 as a temporary crutch until they get on their feet again, but there are way too many taking advantage of the free ride. I don't believe S8 should be done away with, but they need to keep a closer eye on the recipients and cut off anyone milking it.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:35 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,967,873 times
If, for instance, a woman raising a child while living in Sec. 8 housing and employed part time in a $10 per hour job, how is she supposed to ever earn enough to join the mainstream economy? She still needs to buy food, fuel and pay rent. How does she succeed? How does she save any money for the prepayment on an open market apartment let alone a house? I would like some instructions on how to be a success when starting from nothing.

Why do all you compassionate conservative remain so willing to toss the needy on the street because there are some people abusing the system. Why not just enforce the rules and punish the abusers? Why not come up with a way to succeed?

Old 11-03-2010, 08:34 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,355,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If, for instance, a woman raising a child while living in Sec. 8 housing and employed part time in a $10 per hour job, how is she supposed to ever earn enough to join the mainstream economy? She still needs to buy food, fuel and pay rent. How does she succeed? How does she save any money for the prepayment on an open market apartment let alone a house? I would like some instructions on how to be a success when starting from nothing.

Why do all you compassionate conservative remain so willing to toss the needy on the street because there are some people abusing the system. Why not just enforce the rules and punish the abusers? Why not come up with a way to succeed?
You just hit on the main difference between the Ds and Rs.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:51 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,370,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You just hit on the main difference between the Ds and Rs.

Right:

The D's want to take our money and give it to other people so they will have a perpetual underclass who will always vote for them.

The R's want people to be accountable and pay their own way.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:10 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,138,106 times
Along with Section 8, we also need to slash WIC, foodstamps and welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies