Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,239 times

Advertisements

People like you are the Cancer of the fabric of this society. Many child molesters, drug addicts, deadbeat renters, red-neck, liquor loving, filthy-living racist (to which many of you probably qualify) ruin neighboorhoods also, don't hear U whining about that. Both unresponsible tenants with bad/no credit and references and careless landlords refusing to require such when dealing w/ Section 8 ruin all neighboorhoods. Who died and left you all in charge, this is still a so called free country. Be very careful whom you criticise, if things get worse--- you may in up on SECTION 8!!!

Old 03-11-2010, 12:04 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
Section 8 in my opinion is being abused like our welfare system! We (Americans) need to shout out against this abuse! Maybe we can use the money for the Poor who really need it and the Elderly.

Section 8 should have restrictions! Here's a list of mine.

a. If any member in your house commits a crime it's (section 8) cut off.

b. You must live clean, there is no excuse to live Poor and Dirty! NONE..

c. 6 year restriction, after that the tenants need to look to rent elsewhere.

Section 8 is creating projects in neighborhoods all across America. I'm so tired of seeing people that are able to work take advantage of the Elderly and the true Poor.

End Section 8 now!
D. Any female who is the head of the household must be on mandatory birth control.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:37 AM

199 posts, read 404,379 times
Section 8 has it's good and bad...... No I do not agree to get rid of the program their are many families that need it and follow their terms and regulations while on the program.... As for landlords it's a win win situation with them also in todays market to keep afloat..... But the biggest issue and problem with the whole system comes from the GOVERNMENT......

My sister in law has section 8 with two children ...... Yes she keeps her apartment spotless and does not have any men live with her.... The problem is she collects unemployment, works as a drug rat for clincial studies makes about $1000 every two months, has a car, gets child support, food stamps, Medicaid and with all this Section 8 stills pays 100% rent and gives her a check for her utilities........ Now you may ask how is she able to do this by simply answering no to the questions on her recertification and yes their is no changes in my household..... Do I feel this is wrong HELL YES ...... She should pay atleast 40% of her income to keep her place...... There are so many people in need of this program and it's a shame that some that already have it is abusing it and making it look bad in the eyes for the ones that really needs it ......but we can't blame these people at all.....we can only look at the root and that's the GOVERNMENT

Old 03-11-2010, 06:41 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
D. Any female who is the head of the household must be on mandatory birth control.

That reeks of Nazi Germany....

Jeeezzz!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:28 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times
Don't worry Section 8 will end and be replaced IMO with Section "88" which means even more benefits in this "give-out" administration.

No, I'm not on ANY public assistance or have been thank GOD.

Are there people who abuse public assistance = YES.

But I wouldn't want to eliminate public assistance because of a percentage of "bad apples".

Just like in the HC threads, what I see here too is people being inhumane towards REAL unfortunate and needing people.

If this discussion was of the same type of programs (if it existed) outside the USA, I think it would be more of a humane tone to it.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:34 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
I think everyone has an equal right to live in a safe, non-crime ridden neighborhood with decent public schools and housing that at least isn't falling apart, including people who qualify for Section 8 housing. That property values decline is unfortunate but often these people are coming in from areas where they have far more to worry about than low property values.

And if it were your property you had saved and work years to pay for you might feel differently.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:15 PM

88 posts, read 111,342 times
Angry The hard Cold Truth about Section 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Sure, we could end Section 8 and bring back Robert Taylor and Pruitt-Igoe. (If you do not understand the reference you should not be commenting on the current status of subsidized housing.) The thing about Sec. 8 housing and tenants is that they are all among us and sometimes you can't pick out the housing or the tenants from those paying market rents.
A specious argument. It's not an either-or proposition. Ending Section 8 doesn't necessitate building ready-made high rise slums, it simply means ending the free ride for both irresponsible tenants with no investment in their homes AND irresponsible slum landlords sucking hard on the public teat. Those getting rich on your tax dollars while contributing to the destruction of entire neighborhoods.

Just twenty years ago the large inner city neighborhood called Kensington in Philadelphia was a lower middle class but stable, clean and relatively safe neighborhood, as it had been for over a hundred years. Then the Section 8 landlords arrived, along with their cancerous tenants. In less than two decades they completely decimated the entire neighborhood. It is now a filthy slum, where every block has two or three burned out crackhouses and national gangs like the Latin Kings and Bloods are busily recruiting new members. Like a plague of locusts, the Section 8ers quickly burn out an area and roll on into the next.

The problem with Section 8 in big urban areas is this: a greedy landlord finds a house he can afford and moves in a tenant who he knows will be obnoxious and visible. Soon the neighbors are fleeing, and the landlord scoops up their properties at below market value and moves in more Section 8 tenants. Property values plummet, first from the panic sales, later as the ignorant, filthy and lazy Section 8 tenants work their "magic" on the neighborhood. Throwing dirty diapers and chicken bones out the window. Urinating on their front steps. Etc etc. The worst are the freeloaders from the impoverished Caribbean islands, who are used to living in squalor and not used to modern sanitation or "first world" standards of living.

Houses in adjacent neighborhoods with no Section 8 tenants sell for upwards of 100K in today's market. Two blocks away in Kensington, the same type houses sell for 9-15K. Ironically, even many of the would-be slumlords who bought a few houses (when they were worth 30-60K) in Kensington are now desperately trying to unload them, because they're terrified of the violent and totally irresponsible behavior of their tenants.

If you think I'm exaggerating, I'm not. Every single thing I've mentioned above comes from first hand reports from trusted parties.

Our former Mayor Street (who was black) recognized how devastating Section 8 is. He attempted to at least get restrictions on how many Section 8 rentals could be on any city block--but he was threatened by the Housing Dept. to have ALL Federal funds to the city cut off if he followed through.

That was the Bush Administration's Housing Authority, BTW. Republicans protect the slum landlords' interests, and Democrats protect the slum tenants' interests. Nobody is protecting the rights of the families whose neighborhoods are being destroyed.

Philadelphia in the 1990s under Mayor Rendell started to turn the corner and become a world class city, but the slum rats are fighting to stop that. They'd rather it became the Bronx, so they could live the easy life in very cheap housing, bring in more of their rapidly multiplying families, and make easy money dealing crack to their neighbors.

There is no politically correct way to describe these invaders. They are a cancer in our cities. It's sad for the truly needy among them, but just like treating cancer, some healthy cells will be excised as well. Otherwise there's no hope for the patient. And right now, our cities are at a very critical crossroad: they can survive or they can die.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:21 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 195nana View Post
Section 8 has it's good and bad...... No I do not agree to get rid of the program their are many families that need it and follow their terms and regulations while on the program.... As for landlords it's a win win situation with them also in todays market to keep afloat..... But the biggest issue and problem with the whole system comes from the GOVERNMENT......

My sister in law has section 8 with two children ...... Yes she keeps her apartment spotless and does not have any men live with her.... The problem is she collects unemployment, works as a drug rat for clincial studies makes about $1000 every two months, has a car, gets child support, food stamps, Medicaid and with all this Section 8 stills pays 100% rent and gives her a check for her utilities........ Now you may ask how is she able to do this by simply answering no to the questions on her recertification and yes their is no changes in my household..... Do I feel this is wrong HELL YES ...... She should pay atleast 40% of her income to keep her place...... There are so many people in need of this program and it's a shame that some that already have it is abusing it and making it look bad in the eyes for the ones that really needs it ......but we can't blame these people at all.....we can only look at the root and that's the GOVERNMENT
And if you are aware of fraud and have not reported it, even if it is your familiy member, you are part of the problem.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:10 PM
PIQ

2 posts, read 2,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
I think everyone has an equal right to live in a safe, non-crime ridden neighborhood with decent public schools and housing that at least isn't falling apart, including people who qualify for Section 8 housing. That property values decline is unfortunate but often these people are coming in from areas where they have far more to worry about than low property values.
i agree with them having a right, but when they come into these neighborhoods, there should be guidelines in keeping up the house as it was prior to them coming, no throwing diapers food, ect..into the streets just like the previous unfortunate places they came from, so yes they have a right to come into a neighborhood with well behave children play safe in the front yards, but when the fowl mouth little children start spreading the God forsaken disease their mother has instilled in them, then how do you get these rats out?????

Old 05-23-2010, 05:17 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Some of these Section 8 communities have swimming pools and really nice facilities... a year later and they are all crap... I remember they were building several section 8 townhomes in the area, BRAND NEW... I was like wow, its a place I would like to live... fast forward to 5 years later, I try to stay away from those communities... no pride in taking care of the place where you live... you know the saying "Don't sh1t where you sleep"... apparently Section 8 communities haven't heard of it... does anyone know why they build townhomes and single family residences instead of multi-bedroom apartment complexes for section 8 housing? Seem like apartments would be more cost efficient and space efficient design...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies