Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 05:53 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,983,572 times

Advertisements

Section 8 in my opinion is being abused like our welfare system! We (Americans) need to shout out against this abuse! Maybe we can use the money for the Poor who really need it and the Elderly.

Section 8 should have restrictions! Here's a list of mine.

a. If any member in your house commits a crime it's (section 8) cut off.

b. You must live clean, there is no excuse to live Poor and Dirty! NONE..

c. 6 year restriction, after that the tenants need to look to rent elsewhere.

Section 8 is creating projects in neighborhoods all across America. I'm so tired of seeing people that are able to work take advantage of the Elderly and the true Poor.

End Section 8 now!

Old 05-14-2008, 06:03 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,172,192 times
Unfortunately, it really can bring property values down when Section 8 rental property is mixed with other single family property or even other rental property.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:14 PM

654 posts, read 1,211,149 times
This is what happens when you subsidize poverty - you get more of it.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:20 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
I know a lot of people who "cheat" section 8 housing... they basically destroyed the section 8 home BUT they did save a lot of money and ended up moving to a 500k+ house with a 50 inch plasma tv and also a BMW... apparently they owned businesses under other people's names and made lots of money but got free housing, medicaid, etc etc and a "stipend"... I also seen other people in section 8 housing who stay home all day and watch TV while their kids go to school... the section 8 housing are getting better and better... the new ones look like 250k houses... The problem with section 8 housing is that there is "always" a line of people waiting to get rent free homes... there is actually a waiting list... I wonder where the people on these waiting lists are living?

Old 05-14-2008, 06:25 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,191,017 times
Sure, we could end Section 8 and bring back Robert Taylor and Pruitt-Igoe. (If you do not understand the reference you should not be commenting on the current status of subsidized housing.) The thing about Sec. 8 housing and tenants is that they are all among us and sometimes you can't pick out the housing or the tenants from those paying market rents.

I guess in addition to the poor and elderly you deem worthy of help we could add single mothers, minor children and the disabled.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:32 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,001,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Unfortunately, it really can bring property values down when Section 8 rental property is mixed with other single family property or even other rental property.
I think everyone has an equal right to live in a safe, non-crime ridden neighborhood with decent public schools and housing that at least isn't falling apart, including people who qualify for Section 8 housing. That property values decline is unfortunate but often these people are coming in from areas where they have far more to worry about than low property values.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:43 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times
The baseline posting seems to assume a significant growth in both the number of folks participating and abusing the program.

I have no idea about the extent of the program, do you have any statistical data to show the growth in the program? Since landlords personally have to screen and approve of any tenants, does this really have more problems with tenant care than normal rental arrangements?

Old 05-14-2008, 06:44 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
I have no issue with the idea of section 8 housing. My issue is with the lack of over sight and the many abuses of the system. All can be managed but it would require more effort than desk jockies sitting around swapping life stories. By this I mean people going out into the field and verifying the tennents are living up to their end of the bargain.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:00 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,983,572 times
Default What I see!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
The baseline posting seems to assume a significant growth in both the number of folks participating and abusing the program.

I have no idea about the extent of the program, do you have any statistical data to show the growth in the program? Since landlords personally have to screen and approve of any tenants, does this really have more problems with tenant care than normal rental arrangements?
Section 8 is a great idea!! Yes it is for the true Poor and the Elderly,,,but when I see people that trash their land lords neighborhoods, they are the people who do not deserve to have it.

Statistically! I do not have any data! But!!! What I see is priceless!

The people I see is young people who have several kids and continue to have more.

Restrictions are needed also Education!

Friend ask a Realtor how they feel about Section 8 and I guarantee,,,That they will tell you that it's a cancer in a neighborhood.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Sure, we could end Section 8 and bring back Robert Taylor and Pruitt-Igoe. (If you do not understand the reference you should not be commenting on the current status of subsidized housing.) The thing about Sec. 8 housing and tenants is that they are all among us and sometimes you can't pick out the housing or the tenants from those paying market rents.

I guess in addition to the poor and elderly you deem worthy of help we could add single mothers, minor children and the disabled.
I thnik evrybody knows which housing units are section 8.The worst thing is that once they use to it;they seesm dependent on the feds for life many times.Once they destroy things the feds come in and inspect ;then pay for the repairs with tax dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies