Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2021, 02:36 PM

17,361 posts, read 22,115,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Plan on driving. This Covid mess and it’s evolving mutations will drag on forever. Luckily I’m in an area where there’s a lot to see and do by auto.
I just flew to Montana, 4.5 hours each way. 2150 miles.

You might have a bigger exposure than someone flying after driving that far over 4-5 days (gas stations, hotels, restaurants, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 03:24 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,800,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
You know perfectly well that N95 and better masks were greatly limited and were being directed to medical personnel.
Yes, I do, and I don't care. It's not my job to ensure adequate supply of PPE to the general public. My job is to protect myself and if that means I'm buying up limited PPE, so be it. If I buy a dozen N95s and take them off the market, that doesn't move the needle in the grand scheme of things. Either COVID is a real legitimate threat or it isn't. If it is, N95s or better only. If it isn't, the threat doesn't exist and any "mitigation" measures are unnecessary. "It's a threat but we are forcing you to wear protection that doesn't protect you" is not an acceptable solution. The fact that they're not requiring N95s or better only tells me that it's not a threat, so while I'll wear a mask, it's going to be the flimsiest mask I can find on the market that passes as one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Yes, some people managed to get them and others managed to get something up there in somewhat similar percentage effectiveness (like K95 masks). The government can't mandate a PPE that the general public can't readily get--that's common sense.
That's not my problem. Either provision them themselves, ensure adequate supply or leave me alone. I won't accept that pathetic excuse as a reason for ineffective mandates or security theater. There's a reason we pay bureaucrats lots of money and security theater is not one of those reasons. If they don't feel up to the job, maybe they should quit and find something else to do instead of promulgating ineffectual policy.

There's also another thing - flight attendants are not law enforcement. Airlines are not in the business of enforcing laws. They're in the business of transporting customers from A to B in reasonable safety reasonably on time. Enforcing laws is outside the scope of their business. Only law enforcement has the authority, legal indemnity and responsibility to do that. Is the CDC dictatorship dispatching air marshals on every flight and paying the bill for it, or letting airlines foot the bill for their ill-conceived, barely effective, costly measures, just like they hung small businesses and landlords out to dry?

Last edited by albert648; 08-21-2021 at 03:36 PM..

Old 08-21-2021, 08:19 PM

62 posts, read 53,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I just flew to Montana, 4.5 hours each way. 2150 miles.

You might have a bigger exposure than someone flying after driving that far over 4-5 days (gas stations, hotels, restaurants, etc).

Mod cut.

Being on the road is NOTHING like being in a pressurized can with people breathing and that air being recirculated. Airports also get people from ALL OVER THE WORLD.

Gas stations are zero contact, how hard is it to use your damn card?

Hotels are actually very low risk as well, if you just go in to your room it is far less contact than the damn grocery store.

Restaurants, its called a drive thru.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-22-2021 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 08-22-2021, 06:52 AM

17,361 posts, read 22,115,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williammunny View Post
[Snip.]

Being on the road is NOTHING like being in a pressurized can with people breathing and that air being recirculated. Airports also get people from ALL OVER THE WORLD.

Gas stations are zero contact, how hard is it to use your damn card?

Hotels are actually very low risk as well, if you just go in to your room it is far less contact than the damn grocery store.

Restaurants, its called a drive thru.

Zero contact? You don't pick up the handle to pump your gas?

Hotels low risk? Hmmm short staffed, maybe your room didn't get cleaned from the last guest

Drive through? Is that cashier sniffling and wiping her nose as you pull up?

You do realize the planes are filtering the air with hospital grade filters. Airlines calculate that their HEPA filters remove 99.7 percent of airborne particles (like ones used by United Airlines) to 99.999 percent (such as those in use on Delta Air Lines planes). Most aircraft cabin air is "carefully controlled" and completely changed 20 to 30 times per hour with recirculation systems that blend some fresh air with up to 50 percent recycled of cabin air that pass through HEPA filters on “most modern aircraft,” according to the World Health Organization.

Plus with everyone wearing masks, how much is that air polluted anyway?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-22-2021 at 08:28 AM..

Old 08-22-2021, 08:03 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,729,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Somehow, we've managed to survive on domestic transportation without ever requiring any kind of vaccine for any kind of disease. Nor have we ever required masks to be worn during annual flu seasons or SARS or the Swine Flu or anything else. And yet, now, suddenly we're all going to die if we don't wear a mask? The fear mongering is getting a little old.

I supported mask wearing before the vaccines became available, because it was the best line of defense we had. But now we have the vaccines. Are they suddenly worthless? Are we to go on wearing masks forever? At what point do we say that people need to take whatever safety precautions work for them, but that the rest of us don't have to be muzzled on their behalf?
Up until fairly recently, it was a given that people had been vaccinated against polio, smallpox, measles, etc. so requiring proof wasn’t necessary.
A couple of years ago, there was a huge measles outbreak that was traced to air travel.
People were warned then that they could be blocked from flying.
So, precedent.

The following is from 2019:

“As measles cases in the USA continue to rise from their highest level in a quarter-century, health officials pondered a drastic step – forbidding those believed to be infected from flying.

Eight people from five states were warned the federal government could put them on a Do Not Board list managed by the CDC, and they canceled their travel plans, the newspaper said.

Such tactics may strike some as heavy-handed, but they have been validated through decades of case law, said Mark Ustin, head of the health care compliance and lobbying practices at the New York law firm Farrell Fritz.“

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...st/1253802001/

Anyway, it’s long been accepted that airborne infections can spread on planes, so, bring on the masks.

From 2005:

“Because of the increasing ease and affordability of air travel and mobility of people, airborne, food-borne, vector-borne, and zoonotic infectious diseases transmitted during commercial air travel are an important public health issue. Heightened fear of bioterrorism agents has caused health officials to re-examine the potential of these agents to be spread by air travel. The severe acute respiratory syndrome outbreak of 2002 showed how air travel can have an important role in the rapid spread of newly emerging infections and could potentially even start pandemics.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7134995/

Old 08-22-2021, 08:27 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,870,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
There's also another thing - flight attendants are not law enforcement. Airlines are not in the business of enforcing laws. They're in the business of transporting customers from A to B in reasonable safety reasonably on time. Enforcing laws is outside the scope of their business. Only law enforcement has the authority, legal indemnity and responsibility to do that. Is the CDC dictatorship dispatching air marshals on every flight and paying the bill for it, or letting airlines foot the bill for their ill-conceived, barely effective, costly measures, just like they hung small businesses and landlords out to dry?
FAs are not law enforcement but interfering with or disobeying reasonable orders from a flight crew is treated as a very serious matter and the only time the courts will be on the side of the passenger is if the FA says something racist or xenophobic on camera.

And the typical passenger that just wants to get their destination with minimal fuss and drama is typically perfectly fine with this since having to divert to Kansas City to offload a drunk and disruptive passenger screws up their travel day.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:01 AM

173 posts, read 111,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
What a sad world we live in if people just care/worry about themselves. No wonder we are being faced with all of this right now.

If people want to live in a society don't you think that they should have a social conscious and care about their community and those that are in it?
sad, but true:
To this I say depends how fat ones' bank account is. Poor and ordinary people have no choice but to be social conscious, unlike fat bank account holders: they rule

Old 08-22-2021, 11:16 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,539,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51squirrel33 View Post
sad, but true:
To this I say depends how fat ones' bank account is. Poor and ordinary people have no choice but to be social conscious, unlike fat bank account holders: they rule
Are you suggesting that it's just rich people who are stubbornly refusing to play a part in protecting one another and be socially conscious? I assure you, that's most definitely not the case.

Old 08-22-2021, 04:01 PM

11 posts, read 7,829 times
airline companies are fully justified to enforce any policies they want...it's their company after all, nobody's forcing anyone to fly with them.
just like the restaurant owner (in New York if I'm not mistaken) that imposed a policy that if you're vaccinated, you're NOT welcome in his establishments.

Old 08-22-2021, 04:03 PM

831 posts, read 333,702 times
Lol okay. I have a car, will be getting another one in February. NOTHING they can do will make me or my family take the vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies