Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 06:08 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Joe kissed goodbye almost a billion dollars in helicopters in Afghanistan after the pullout... So, why can't he cover this

What's even more sickening is that the last "covid bill" that passed was for a fortune. And, word was that only 6% of it actually went towards covid.

I don't believe the government should be giving away money. However - for the billions that bill was worth. We could have all been given $10k-$20k EACH, and it would have cost less than the crap they spent.

It's all a gimmick.
All bills by both parties are mostly pork.

Old 08-22-2021, 07:22 PM

4,661 posts, read 1,953,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Great, so now every fat ass with sore ankles gets a free college education!
Nice Snarky comment but your reading comprehension needs work. I specifically talked about the seriousness of the physical disability necessary to qualify for this program. And also how people who meet this criteria ALREADY get their loans forgiven in the current system. The only difference is we are currently paying a lot of money for the paper pushers to push all that paperwork around. Now the system is just automatically processing people who already meet the criteria as determined by SSA . Nothing has changed accept its an automatic process instead of requiring wasted manpower.

Every single person getting their loan forgiven on this program could have filed the paperwork and been approved for years, if only they had submitted the paperwork. But we would have had to pay thousands of people to process all that paperwork millions upon millions of dollars for something that is already an automatic approval if you qualify under the SSA rules. And those rules have been clearly defined for years.

As for those saying it is likely a "first step" that might be accurate as the Dems have been pushing for a general forgiveness of student loans. Something I am very against, but it doesn't change the fact that automating this process will save both a ton of money in labor cost it will also free up those reps to deal with other issues.

Old 08-22-2021, 07:36 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,359,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
Nice Snarky comment but your reading comprehension needs work. I specifically talked about the seriousness of the physical disability necessary to qualify for this program. And also how people who meet this criteria ALREADY get their loans forgiven in the current system. The only difference is we are currently paying a lot of money for the paper pushers to push all that paperwork around. Now the system is just automatically processing people who already meet the criteria as determined by SSA . Nothing has changed accept its an automatic process instead of requiring wasted manpower.

Every single person getting their loan forgiven on this program could have filed the paperwork and been approved for years, if only they had submitted the paperwork. But we would have had to pay thousands of people to process all that paperwork millions upon millions of dollars for something that is already an automatic approval if you qualify under the SSA rules. And those rules have been clearly defined for years.

As for those saying it is likely a "first step" that might be accurate as the Dems have been pushing for a general forgiveness of student loans. Something I am very against, but it doesn't change the fact that automating this process will save both a ton of money in labor cost it will also free up those reps to deal with other issues.
Thanks for the explanation.

I’m all for trimming waste by streamlining processes. But I’m more for preventing it from forming in the first place. And I don’t support making others pay (literally and figuratively) for one’s personal decisions should they fail.

How did this vast amount of debt even happen in the first place? We’re to believe every single one (or even a majority) was purely a consequence of bad luck and not poor judgment? How does erasing the debt (fixing the problem from the tail end) prevent this from occurring again in the future?

Old 08-22-2021, 07:42 PM

9,881 posts, read 4,650,430 times
When things go bad or make you look bad pander and/or distract.

Old 08-22-2021, 08:03 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,672,260 times
People paid into disability. If you never worked, you get nothing. It's not a free handout.

I have no problem with loan discharge if someone has a LEGIT disability that keeps them down.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:06 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I love to see what their definition of "severe disabilities" is. Do people with emotional support animals count?
Exactly

I remember when CA legalized dope for only those who medically needed it. To me that would make sense for cancer patients, those with glaucoma and a couple more limited needs. Today anyone can walk in with a doctors note because they cant sleep, have a hangnail, or some other nonsense.

So if someone is genuinely disabled due to no fault of their own (i.e. drug/booze zombie), the more compassionate among us can understand having to carry the extra burden. But if it is some grab bag of mentally weak excuses or some contrived injury, they should live up to their obligations and pay it off, rather than making the rest of us having to.

`

Old 08-22-2021, 09:08 PM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Anyone else regret paying off their student loans?

This is just the first of a wave of similar actions, IMHO....

What do you guys think?

$5.8B In Student Debt Wiped Out For More Than 300,000 Borrowers

https://ktrh.iheart.com/content/2021...000-borrowers/
That's very equitable of him.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:15 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
These kids need to understand that college is not for everyone. There are so many trades they can go into and make a great salary

Old 08-22-2021, 10:26 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post

Oh, it's ****ing brilliant alright!

If you can get yourself on SS disability, you can have six figures worth of student loans tossed out the window.

It's vote buying.

Old 08-23-2021, 05:46 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
These kids need to understand that college is not for everyone. There are so many trades they can go into and make a great salary

Someone who is so disabled that they are unable to work should go into the trades? How does that work, exactly, and how does that pay off the debt they accrued before the disability occurred or progressed to a point where they are not able to work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies