Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 07:01 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,526,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedster24 View Post
Why are they not sending in 10K troops and securing an area around the airport and making forays to trapped civilians?
I suspect this has something to do with not poking the bear - i.e., the Taliban - because we are in such a weakened position. For now - for now - US is attempting to extract people - hoping - hoping - to avoid a confrontation which would lead to outright conflict and hostage-taking. It's probably only a matter of time, unfortunately, until that happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
"Oh it's OK they used NYT as a source."

LOL NYT is not more credible than Breitbart nowadays. The old gray mare she ain't what she used to be. People are stuck in the past.
No matter what I read, where, I always check who has sourced the information. The foreign correspondents, imo, are generally credible. They see such crap and horror and political chicanery worldwide, most are quite jaded and just tell it like it is.

The NYT article in question is the work of:

Shashank Bengali, Julian E. Barnes and Jim Huylebroek
Shashank Bengali is a senior editor at The New York Times, focused on live news coverage. He joined The Times in 2021 after nearly two decades as a foreign correspondent, Washington correspondent and editor at The Los Angeles Times and McClatchy Newspapers.

Julian E. Barnes is a national security reporter for The New York Times covering the intelligence agencies. Before joining The Times’s Washington bureau in 2018, he wrote about security matters for The Wall Street Journal, based in Brussels and Washington. He has more than 17 years’ experience covering U.S. national security, the military and related matters for the Journal, The Los Angeles Times and U.S. News & World Report.

Jim Huylebroek (*1989) is a freelance photographer from Antwerp, Belgium, based out of Kabul, Afghanistan. He has been commissioned or published by The New York Times, Time Magazine, The Guardian, The Telegraph, Al Jazeera, The Washington Post, Der Spiegel, Paris Match and others.

His first photo book "Afghanistan: Unsettled - Three years documenting Afghans on the move" was published in cooperation with Norwegian Refugee Council in 2018.

Jim has produced work in Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Turkey, Nigeria, Mali, Somalia and the Balkans.

Bio — JIM HUYLEBROEK
Bengali and Barnes are probably taking info filed by Huylebroek who has extensive Afghanistan cred (see above) and doing add'l background inquiries here in US to flesh out the details.

Sneer all you want at the NYT, but when it comes to foreign reporting from journalists who have served overseas, the paper is generally very credible.

I got most of my news on COVID when it began in China in 2019 from the NYT. None of that was inaccurate. On the contrary, sadly, it was alarmingly accurate.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:07 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,643,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Amen. We created a bloodbath by Biden's ineptitude. Our allies are properly disgusted by our actions.
Wait until these terrorists land on our soil between the open border and the blank VISAs our State Department sent to Afghanistan.

I hope the low-life deadbeats who burned, rioted, looted, beat and killed people last year are on the front lines.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Seriously?

The NYT banged the drum that Brian Sicknick was maced, beaten and killed as a result of the “insurrection”.

Never happened.

There are tons more examples.
They had to walk back the Brett Kavanaugh story. Too many to mention.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:09 PM

34,083 posts, read 17,140,925 times
Quote:
What's it going to take for Americans to protect their own citizens and the allies who we've already betrayed?
Public beheadings televised worldwide in order for Biden and his administration to take their collective heads out of their *****?
You can bet the Taliban will embarrass us with these activities, publicly, on 9/11. Biden's 20th "memorial" of the tragic event.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:14 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,331,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Jeezus....enough of this. My blood is boiling, and I'm getting real sick and tired of these excuse making, "but Trump" jackasses on here. Pull your heads out of your backsides and STOP DEFENDING THIS!
I guess it just doesn't matter to you that this basically is Trump's plan that Biden is executing. Every aspect of this withdrawal was planned under the Trump administration. I guess facts just aren't important. Imagine how bad it would have been if Trump would have been reelected. That moron wanted to pull out by May. Remember?

Old 08-21-2021, 07:14 PM

38,014 posts, read 22,198,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Show us one news article by NYT that isn't credible. I dare you.
New York Times claimed Manafort provided polling data to Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska, he provided them to Ukrainians, not Russians.

New York Times falsely claimed "His [Trump's] speech also included a promise to throw undocumented immigrants “the hell out of the country” and a recitation of his law-and-order campaign promises.

New York Times hit piece on Perry was unsubstantiated garbage

All the many articles the New York Times printed accusing Trump of colluding with the Russians were never credible.

Jayson Thomas Blair is a former American journalist who worked for The New York Times. He resigned from the newspaper in May 2003 in the wake of the discovery of fabrication and plagiarism in his stories.

Ooops, you said one article

Old 08-21-2021, 07:15 PM

38,014 posts, read 22,198,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I guess it just doesn't matter to you that this basically is Trump's plan that Biden is executing. Every aspect of this withdrawal was planned under the Trump administration. I guess facts just aren't important. Imagine how bad it would have been if Trump would have been reelected. That moron wanted to pull out by May. Remember?
Except that it's not. Trump's plan was to have withdrawn all US military three months ago

With many of these perpetual Biden sycophants, their grasp of the facts surrounding the subject they are speaking to, is inversely proportional to their arrogance and their smugness and self-assuredness.

In other words, the more ignorant and less informed they are of the facts, the more preachy they become and the louder and more self-righteous they become.

Was Kabul overrun by the Taliban three months ago? No.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:20 PM

496 posts, read 193,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Show us one news article by NYT that isn't credible. I dare you.
Here’s a good start.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/08/how-th...sed-narrative/

Old 08-21-2021, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Please provide proof that Trumps plan included the direction to remove all troops before evacuating civilians.

That's the piece that is creating this mess, and since you keep saying it was Trump's plan - prove that the plan included that piece.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:23 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,331,463 times
Quote:
What's it going to take for Americans to protect their own citizens and the allies who we've already betrayed?
Public beheadings televised worldwide in order for Biden and his administration to take their collective heads out of their *****?
I wonder the same thing. Pelosi and the Dems should open an investigation into why the Trump Administration purposely delayed processing visa's for our Afghan allies. In fact, after the Trump Administration announced the withdrawal deadline the visa applications for all Afghan's basically came to a complete stop. Imagine how many more we could have saved if it weren't for the former racist Idiot in Chief and his cronies.

Cry your crocodile tears all you like, but people like you supported him and watching these poor people die was Trump's plan all along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies