Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 10:52 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,557,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I agree with several things you say, except about other English-dominated countries. I grew up in Canada (mostly in the English-language dominated province of Ontario). So many parents in Canada want their kids to attend French-immersion schools (both my nephews attended one), cities can't fulfill demand.

On the other hand, French is one of the two OFFICIAL languages of Canada (English being the other official language).
Of course, it's a good idea if your country has two official languages (I think I'm right in saying Canada has two territories that have additional first nations languages listed as official too?) that you learn both. It's why you see a greater number of Welsh speakers and schools now in Wales after official language status was granted.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:09 AM

62,965 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
As a country without an official language, I don't believe it to be nonsense.
Doesn't matter English is our national de facto language and our Constitution and all other kinds of government documents are in English. You have to know English in order to become a citizen to and only citizens can vote. I'd like to know what makes that group think their ethnic group should be pandered to in Spanish. They aren't the only foreign languages spoken in this country. Should we print ballots in hundreds of other languages to? I don't think so!

Last edited by Oldglory; 08-23-2021 at 11:24 AM..

Old 08-23-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:

The fact it hasn't been declared suggests, it's not declared an official language.

Given how poor English speakers are at learning second/third languages, it's a good job English happens to be the one in most common usage.

I'd have though that people would want voters to be informed about the elections they're taking part in, they have no hope of being as informed as possible if it's written in a language they only have a basic grasp of. If we want all ballots in English only, may I suggest we start with the conservative core of voters in South Florida?
Why should native English speakers learn another language? Are we supposed to accomodate foreigners or foreign language speakers in our own country by learning their languages? It should be the other way around. If I moved to another country I would certainly learn and speak their language.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:22 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,557,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Irrelevant deflection.
Always money for war isn't there?

But printing materials in foreign languages? Good god, we're not made of money.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:24 AM

2,400 posts, read 783,516 times
Quote:

The fact it hasn't been declared suggests, it's not declared an official language.

(snip)

Well duh. It is the language the declared official government(s) operate in. Ergo, it is the official language.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:26 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Considering you have to demonstrate English proficiency to become a naturalized citizen and only citizens can vote, why should election materials be in any other language besides English? Were you not teaching your citizen kids English at home? Were they taught in some other language besides English at school?

Old 08-23-2021, 11:30 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Well duh. It is the language the declared official government(s) operate in. Ergo, it is the official language.
No. English is what is commonly understood to be the official language. It is the de facto official language of the United States.

But other posters are correct when they say that the US has no official language. Which I've never understood. Though, apparently, the UK, NZ, and Australia don't have official languages, either, so we're not alone in this.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Always money for war isn't there?

But printing materials in foreign languages? Good god, we're not made of money.
Just another deflection here. Get over yourself! You are comparing apples to oranges.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:31 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
It’s ok to express your individuality however when you don’t get what you want because you don’t conform (not speaking English, sagging your pants, tattooing your face and such) don’t complain.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:35 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This kind of nonsense is no longer surprising these days, unfortunately.

https://www.kmaland.com/news/ia-lati...387ab285c.html
Why do you want to make it difficult for certain citizens to vote?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies