Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 10:55 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Masks aren't to actually physically protect.

They are to virtue signal and soothe one's hypochondria via placebo.

In other words, they are emotional.

In many cases that's much stronger than whether something actually works.

Liberals and pro maskers will NEEEEEEEEEVER admit they don't work, no matter how many scientific facts are presented, because admitting that will mean that they looked like idiots for the past 18 months hitching their wagons to what amounts to nothing more than a rain dance ritual.
So do you advocate that people acquire getting their immunity to COVID-19 by going everywhere indoors, especially where crowded, without a mask on so they can become sick from it? If you're also against vaccines, due to them being too dangerous, how else are you going to get immunity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 10:56 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
I always use at least a surgical mask. A cloth mask looks like it would let a lot of stuff through. Still, a cloth mask is probably better than nothing. They were used by medical personnel when surgical and N95 masks were sold out.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:57 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Optional N95 masking is superior to forced cloth masking. Let the unmasked make their own choices in the matter while the masked get good protection that works. Heck get the one with the piece in the front that lets you exhale freely if you want. Keep those glasses from fogging up.
Optional n95s, and also optional remote schooling for kids. There are studies that show opening windows is as good as masking, yet I'm continually amazed that people work in stuffy unventilated rooms. They think a piece of cloth will help them, when letting in fresh air will help far more.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:00 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So do you advocate that people acquire getting their immunity to COVID-19 by going everywhere indoors, especially where crowded, without a mask on so they can become sick from it? If you're also against vaccines, due to them being too dangerous, how else are you going to get immunity?
I advocate that people make their own choices. They're grown adults. Be grown adults. Arguing about the science of it all is unproductive.

I think vaccines provide protection for the vaccinated. If you disagree, and don't want it (for any or no reason), that's your prerogative. I'm protected so I don't care.

Whether someone chooses to mask up is up to the individual. If you think it'll help (you or others), go for it. If not, don't. Primary focus should be on you. Data on masking is inconclusive on anything not N95.

My own home HVAC system has always had properly fitted MERV16s. This is the same kind used in surgery rooms. I got these primarily for allergies but looks like they're only slightly higher Microns than N95s. Seeing if I can get my hands on HEPAs.

Masking should be optional, but if you choose to mask, require it to be N95 or better, or something equivalent that is virus-rated. School should be optional in-person or remote, with an option to go to private school partially funded by the school district or whoever the taxing jurisdiction is. No mask or vaccine mandates of any kind anywhere, upgrade air filtration in closed spaces. No vaccine passports or any kind, ever. That should NEVER be on the table. Invest in treatments and increase hospital capacity.

Cloth masks can't even prevent my face from getting wet on a rainy day, I have zero expectation that it does anything.

Last edited by albert648; 08-25-2021 at 11:11 AM..

Old 08-25-2021, 11:02 AM

17,625 posts, read 6,911,503 times
The cloth mask is a political and religious symbol for people who hate conservatives. Nothing more, nothing less. Its use or non-use has no effect on viral spread.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
8) “Surgeons wear masks”

I'd like to know the opinions on masks from not just surgeons, but also nurses and all other workers in hospitals in how effective they have been from being infected by COVID-19.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Liberals and pro maskers will NEEEEEEEEEVER admit they don't work, no matter how many scientific facts are presented, because admitting that will mean that they looked like idiots for the past 18 months hitching their wagons to what amounts to nothing more than a rain dance ritual.
So doctors and nurses working in covid wards also will NEEEEEEEEEVER admit they won't work? I don't give a damn about the politics of it.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:09 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,946,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
8) “Surgeons wear masks”

I'd like to know the opinions on masks from not just surgeons, but also nurses and all other workers in hospitals in how effective they have been from being infected by COVID-19.
Go to your local hospital and offer to swap your cloth mask for whatever they are wearing... see what happens.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:31 AM

628 posts, read 286,368 times
Can we just agree that if you are pro-mask you are never going to become anti-mask and vice versa? This way we don't have to have a zillion threads all on the same tired s*** every blasted day. Besides, some of you are going to get carpal tunnel from cutting and pasting the links to all those extremely questionable 'sources'.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:36 AM

17,625 posts, read 6,911,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
Can we just agree that if you are pro-mask you are never going to become anti-mask and vice versa? This way we don't have to have a zillion threads all on the same tired s*** every blasted day. Besides, some of you are going to get carpal tunnel from cutting and pasting the links to all those extremely questionable 'sources'.
Well you don’t need to worry about carpal tunnel since you have no sources to post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies