Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 01:55 PM

417 posts, read 247,091 times

Advertisements

https://virginia.gop/wp-content/uplo...aint-FILED.pdf

Here's the document: https://virginia.gop/wp-content/uplo...-Exh-FILED.pdf

Woah! He never signed his 'Declaration of Candidacy' paperwork..... wow...... someone made a big mistake...... The VA GOP has filed a lawsuit to get him disqualified from being on the ballot... Interesting to see how this will turn out....

Not to mention, what did his witnesses witness? Could they be in trouble for this?

Last edited by MummyofAnkha1969; 08-28-2021 at 02:42 PM..

Old 08-28-2021, 01:57 PM

8,179 posts, read 6,929,698 times
What's worse is the document has the signatures of two witnesses who witnessed his signature.
hmm. Interesting.

Old 08-28-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
What's worse is the document has the signatures of two witnesses who witnessed his signature.
hmm. Interesting.
I know! Somebody royally screwed up here......

Old 08-28-2021, 02:38 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,220,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
hmm. Interesting.
Agree - I can see how someone on McAuliffe's staff could mistakenly submit an unsigned form. It's a rookie mistake, but it's plausible. The witnesses, though - I expect someone was trying to rush things and just asked them to sign it first and that the person running the document around would get McAuliffe's signature but never did. If that is the scenario it's a shortcut they never should have taken because it is lying on a submission to government.

Old 08-28-2021, 02:39 PM

Would the Democrats be allowed to put someone in his place, or is it already too late for that?

Old 08-28-2021, 02:48 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,220,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MummyofAnkha1969 View Post
Would the Democrats be allowed to put someone in his place, or is it already too late for that?
According to the candidate bulletin, the deadline to file the Declaration of Candidacy was in March, so McAuliffe should be disqualified (IMO). I don't know why anyone should be allowed to file a Declaration of Candidacy this late. I'm not a political party operative but it would seem to me that other Democrats would have filed by the deadline, not just McAuliffe. Even if the Democrats decided they wanted to put McAuliffe forward it seems like the party would want a backup or two.

Here is the candidate bulletin: https://www.elections.virginia.gov/m..._2-12-2021.pdf

Old 08-28-2021, 02:50 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MummyofAnkha1969 View Post
Technically, his primary win should be invalidated. One of the Democrats’ counterpoints is that Republicans shouldn’t care or have a say about Democratic primary results but there is that tiny little issue of Virginia being an open primary state.

Old 08-28-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
According to the candidate bulletin, the deadline to file the Declaration of Candidacy was in March, so McAuliffe should be disqualified (IMO). I don't know why anyone should be allowed to file a Declaration of Candidacy this late. I'm not a political party operative but it would seem to me that other Democrats would have filed by the deadline, not just McAuliffe. Even if the Democrats decided they wanted to put McAuliffe forward it seems like the party would want a backup or two.

Here is the candidate bulletin: https://www.elections.virginia.gov/m..._2-12-2021.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Technically, his primary win should be invalidated. One of the Democrats’ counterpoints is that Republicans shouldn’t care or have a say about Democratic primary results but there is that tiny little issue of Virginia being an open primary state.
A potential problem is Virginia has 45 days of early voting (ridiculous, but another topic for a different day)
That means early voting begins on September 17th ish. That's two to three weeks away. Are the ballots already printed? This is one example why there shouldn't be more than one week of early voting.....

Old 08-28-2021, 03:40 PM

930 posts, read 334,032 times
This is kind of how President Obama got his start in Illinois politics. A state senator named Alice Palmer had decided to run for US House, and Obama ran for the state senate seat she had abandoned. But she realized she would lose in her house race (IIRC) and decided to reclaim her old Senate seat.

The law required that candidates collect 700 signatures from residents of a state leg. district to get on the ballot (intended to stifle upstart candidates, according to Obama). Because of the last minute nature of her campaign, Alice Palmer's signatures were riddled with errors--multiple sigs in the same handwriting, non-existent people, dead people, etc).

Obama challenged Alice Palmer's sigs, and got her candidacy invalidated. He went on to win the state senate seat, and started his meteoric political ascent.

Old 08-28-2021, 03:42 PM

930 posts, read 334,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
This is why I don't like the open primary idea. The parties should be fully able to decide who is going to represent them in a race.

We have 'top two' ('jungle') primaries in WA and often end up with 2 democrats in the general (or 2 Republicans in some Eastern WA races).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies