Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2021, 09:02 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Then pay your own hospital costs if you get sick. I applaud Delta Airlines for increasing insurance costs to unvaccinated employees.
That is not how HC insurance works these days. Careless and/or stupid people receive the same care as the safe and smart. The medical standards of care are identical.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2nuPVTU4Z4>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 09:08 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,750,337 times
Is anyone else on this thread beside me old enough to remember as soon as medical companies went on the stock market years ago everything changed for the worse for the patient? Younger folks might not know what changed to make the system what it is today, now you do.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:21 PM

The internet has changed the face of medicine. Now when a patient goes to the doctor, the patient knows more about their condition than the doctor does.

One pain management doctor wanted to give me pain meds that I read were suspected of causing prostate cancer in men. When I told him, he took me into his office, showed me the PDR (Physicians Desk Reference) and said there was no way he could know all the side effects of every medication, but at the same time tells me he prescribes it to many patients. So why didn't he know the side effects if he's prescribing it so often? I never filled the prescription and never went back to him.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:33 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
The internet has changed the face of medicine. Now when a patient goes to the doctor, the patient knows more about their condition than the doctor does.

One pain management doctor wanted to give me pain meds that I read were suspected of causing prostate cancer in men. When I told him, he took me into his office, showed me the PDR (Physicians Desk Reference) and said there was no way he could know all the side effects of every medication, but at the same time tells me he prescribes it to many patients. So why didn't he know the side effects if he's prescribing it so often? I never filled the prescription and never went back to him.
It's scary when they don't even acknowledge what the trade offs are. As the patient you always have to advocate for yourself, sometimes unfortunately even with your own Doctors.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:37 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,195,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Curious - your doctor said he is not sold on its efficacy now? Or back when it was first introduced? The data is pretty clear, and impressive.

Where do you do your research? Medical journals/sources?
1) vaccines absolute vs relative risk reduction and number needed to vaccinate- NNV

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...069-0/fulltext

2) 5 states - Dec2020- Jul 2021 Mayo Clinic’s study - real world vaccine
Alpha vs Delta variants efficacy and effectiveness
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...707v1.full.pdf

Old 08-26-2021, 09:39 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post

Every medication can cause side affects and every single one has to be listed so companies don't get sued for not disclosing it. I'm on cholesterol meds because it's hereditary in my family. The internet says it could cause renal failure and liver damage but that these are infrequent side effects. Did my doc tell me that....no because this is not the norm.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:41 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,195,052 times
Quote:
Then pay your own hospital costs if you get sick. I applaud Delta Airlines for increasing insurance costs to unvaccinated employees.
Have they increase the costs for employees who don’t get the flu vaccine? Pneumonia vaccines too? Hepatitis vaccines?
Curious

Old 08-26-2021, 09:43 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
I have ALWAYS considered my doctors advice but do not accept it as the gospel. Before anything I consider an important medical decision I do ample research. This is no different......................

Trust but verify when it comes to Doctors. Your paying for their advice. The decision is yours.

My MIL died as a result of Dr. malpractice.

My daughter had a unnecessary appendix operation.

I had to insist my wife be put in the hospital when she had a rare form of toxemia.

My mother had cataract surgery two weeks before she died and being treated for a life-threat illness.

The list goes on and on...Doctors are not perfect, far from it. You need to take responsibility for YOUR medical decisions. We need to change the medical laws so that the PATIENT is in charge of their medical care not doctors.

For what it is worth....I got the vaccine as soon as possible. It was not because of my doctors advice.

I didn't even discuss it with her.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:50 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:

From an economists perspective.

The employee trades their time and expertise for a salary and benefits paid by the employer.

The EMPLOYEE is paying for his/her health care, not the employer. It is part of the deal.

Under slavery or indentured servitude system, it is correct to say that the employer pays for the health care.

BTW...the Supreme Court has nine lawyers on it that probably never took a class in economics.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
It's scary when they don't even acknowledge what the trade offs are. As the patient you always have to advocate for yourself, sometimes unfortunately even with your own Doctors.
One poster said her docs always want to give her statins. Not only don't they acknowledge trade-offs like the patient may suffer from atrial fibrillation, muscle deterioration, gall bladder removal, etc. from statins ,they will deny you tests which prove you don't need statins. Most people don't understand the cholesterol numbers aren't the whole story, particle size is important, and if the HDL is large sized it doesn't stick in arteries, no matter how high the number is. Some docs will refuse to approve the specialized particle size blood test so they can push statins on patients who don't need them.

Thank goodness for the internet, there were so many times I avoided going to the doctor by researching my problem and taking care of it successfully at home. I hate having confrontations with doctors and will avoid them at all costs, but I don't mind going to Urgent Care, no appt. needed, no pushing of drugs, no future appts, I'm in and out, all good experiences with nice doctors and staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies