Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 10:55 AM

417 posts, read 247,041 times

Advertisements

My doctor had mentioned to me that the Flu has been overpowered by COVID and, therefore, isn't going around. Something he found interesting is that there have been 5 strains of the Flu in the past ten years and COVID has eradicated two of them. Could COVID kill of the Flu and take it's place as THE seasonal illness?

Old 08-28-2021, 11:01 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,241,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MummyofAnkha1969 View Post
My doctor had mentioned to me that the Flu has been overpowered by COVID and, therefore, isn't going around. Something he found interesting is that there have been 5 strains of the Flu in the past ten years and COVID has eradicated two of them. Could COVID kill of the Flu and take it's place as THE seasonal illness?
What?!?! This makes zero sense. Flu cases did go down because of mask mandates, but COVID didn't "eradicate" any of the flu viruses.

That's not how science works. You should get a new doctor.

Old 08-28-2021, 11:03 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
What?!?! This makes zero sense. Flu cases did go down because of mask mandates, but COVID didn't "eradicate" any of the flu viruses.

It’s called viral interference. It is a real thing.

Old 08-28-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:

He said COVID has overpowered two strains of the Flu and that it has effectively killed them off. Makes sense to me.

Old 08-28-2021, 11:10 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:

Exactly. Social distancing and mask wearing beat back the flu. If a doctor is telling you the flu and Covid are mutually exclusive, I suggest finding a new doctor. I doubt this was the case, though. I think this is an error of understanding.

Old 08-28-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Exactly. Social distancing and mask wearing beat back the flu. If a doctor is telling you the flu and Covid are mutually exclusive, I suggest finding a new doctor. I doubt this was the case, though. I think this is an error of understanding.
He said he read a study stating that two strains of the Flu had effectively been killed off by COVID being the predominant bug out there right now. I don't know where he read it, he didn't supply me with a copy (didn't ask). He had just mentioned it in passing, so I'm only going off what he said. But, it does sound logical to me.

Old 08-28-2021, 11:16 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:

Another person who believes that they know everything, and since *they* have never heard of a concept before, it must be bat-poop crazy.

I'll bet you jumped on the "Trump said to inject bleach" bandwagon. I'd bet a LOT of money that you were there. Probably still are. Another example of extreme arrogance, if so.

Old 08-28-2021, 11:17 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
He said he read a study stating that two strains of the Flu had effectively been killed off by COVID being the predominant bug out there right now. I don't know where he read it, he didn't supply me with a copy (didn't ask). He had just mentioned it in passing, so I'm only going off what he said. But, it does sound logical to me.
Viral interference wouldn’t kill off the flu but it would suppress it while the super contagious covid was circulating.

Old 08-28-2021, 11:20 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Scientists say that two common strains of the seasonal flu have seemingly vanished from circulation, likely due to public health measures like mask-wearing meant to slow the covid-19 pandemic.

COVID didn't kill them off -- but the fact they weren't allowed to circulate did kill them off. They don't know for sure if they have been killed off or just nobody has seen them.

When we stop wearing masks, social distancing, washing our hands (who would stop washing hands really), etc.....all of it may come barreling back.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...vid-pandemic1/

Old 08-28-2021, 11:21 AM

15,847 posts, read 6,547,612 times
No, influenza didn't disappear; we just had a very low number of cases thanks to the quarantine measures. With the masks being used to fight the Delta variant, we might see another season of minimal cases in 2021. But the flu still follows exponential growth patterns, so it will be back with a vengeance at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies