Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 08:33 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,612 posts, read 17,940,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Then they weren't police departments, they were runaway slave enforcers. But the fact that you fell for the narrative isn't surprising.
No. Entire police departments in the south were formed, originally, for the sole purpose of capturing runaway slaves.

https://plsonline.eku.edu/insidelook...rican-policing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2021, 08:56 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,963 times
So they can only teach what the Texas government deems appropriate? Showing different viewpoints and letting students make up their own minds is how people grow. When governments start restricting what can be taught, we run into trouble.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:00 PM

27,130 posts, read 15,305,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
So they can only teach what the Texas government deems appropriate? Showing different viewpoints and letting students make up their own minds is how people grow. When governments start restricting what can be taught, we run into trouble.
They can not teach what the State if Texas and many parents do see as appropriate.
Propaganda/ distortions are not the same.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:03 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,067,374 times
Quote:
The states set things such as minimum graduation requirements. How is this different? What if a school wanted to teach that whites are the superior race? Wouldn’t you want the state to forbid that?

Old 08-31-2021, 09:19 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,263,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm interested in what exactly he was teaching that was upsetting. That area is VERY white and asian - less than 2% Black. Very conservative.

Wonder specifically what he was promoting.
I’ve never heard of any Principal in a Texas High School thst “taught” any classes …. particularly in a large High School. He wasn’t teaching anything, he was mandating thst CRT be taught. The Parents and School Board disagreed. He will be replaced. Lesson Learned.

"I am the first African American to assume the role of Principal at my current school in its 25-year history, and I am keenly aware of how much fear this strikes in the hearts of a small minority who would much rather things go back to the way they used to be.”

This area & School District came into existence 25 years ago. He is the .First African American to be in charge.
He is also the LAst African American to be in charge. He can pay himself on the back for a job well done.

Lesson Learned.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:24 PM

3,605 posts, read 1,656,182 times
Quote:

This CRT stuff really only applies to History class...not Math, English, and so forth at the high school level.

The truth in history (good and bad) does need to be taught however, not just from the perspective of the founding fathers.

It will have to be decided how much "bad" truthful History to put in there...

Old 08-31-2021, 09:31 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
They can not teach what the State if Texas and many parents do see as appropriate.
Propaganda/ distortions are not the same.
How is it different?

Old 08-31-2021, 09:37 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,263,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
This CRT stuff really only applies to History class...not Math, English, and so forth at the high school level.

The truth in history (good and bad) does need to be taught however, not just from the perspective of the founding fathers.

It will have to be decided how much "bad" truthful History to put in there...
Wrong …. CRT is in all classes.
Math, Science, English and even Sports.

My youngest (who is quite Leftist) quit her job as head of a Stem department in High School, So did 3 other Department Heads. They were going to be forced to convert their classes to CRT., and thry chose to give up teaching rather that attempt to teach kids to Hate each other.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:54 PM

3,605 posts, read 1,656,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Wrong …. CRT is in all classes.
Math, Science, English and even Sports.

My youngest (who is quite Leftist) quit her job as head of a Stem department in High School, So did 3 other Department Heads. They were going to be forced to convert their classes to CRT., and thry chose to give up teaching rather that attempt to teach kids to Hate each other.

Oh really? Please show me some specific "CRT" examples in MATH...

Old 08-31-2021, 10:35 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,067,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Oh really? Please show me some specific "CRT" examples in MATH...
The concept that math is racist has been in the news for several months. There have been many threads in this forum and in the education forum.

In Oregon:

“A Pathway to Equitable Math Instruction does offer an 82-page workbook on how teachers can "examine their actions, beliefs, and values around teaching mathematics." The group claims white supremacy culture can show up in the classroom in various ways, including when "the focus is on getting the 'right' answer," and when "students are required to 'show their work.'"

The group also says educators should try to "center ethnomathematics" by identifying and challenging the ways that "math is used to uphold capitalist, imperialist, and racist views."”

The news station reached out to the group behind this, and part of their reply was:

“Oregon’s mathematics achievement data highlights systemic inequities for Oregon’s students of color. This is not a new story. The idea is to remove barriers for students based on ideas of mathematics readiness that may contain racial and ability biases.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/katu.co...th-instruction

This has also affected schools in other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies