Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2021, 08:32 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,230,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
Ding ding ding!!! Someone gets it. Rep!!!

These people are all about facts, data, and statistics until you show them that the homicide rates for Black Americans didn’t rise and surpass whites until the late 80’s due to Reaganomics and the crack epidemic that he used to fund the war in Nicaragua. This all can be proven by the US DOJ crime database.

All of this chaos literally was not here prior to 1980.

Republicans will have the money for guns, war, and all types of destruction but ask them to support helping Americans and it’s crickets.

Politics have consequences and this right here is one.
I don't think this is true, at least not in the big cities that already had substantial black populations pre-1980. Before crack, there was the heroin and cocaine trade, which also hit the black ghettos hard. Not to mention, the deindustrialization of many manufacturing jobs during the 1970s that many(if not most) black people depended on to enter into the middle class. You will have to look to two decades prior, maybe pre-1960. Statistics show by 1964/1965 murders were more than twice as high among black arrestees than whites, and surpassing them in other crimes as well in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 09:38 AM

31,322 posts, read 22,314,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDonna View Post
This is a showing of pure racism, and those savages should be charged with a hate crime.
They won't be charged. Look at last year, attack after attack on mostly older Asian women, by predominately black hoodlums, and they scream "it's caused by White Racism"

Old 09-04-2021, 12:44 PM

73,129 posts, read 62,974,069 times
I watched a biography of Barry White. One thing I learned is that this underclass crap, the fatherless homes, the violent behavior, it's nothing new. Barry White was part of that Great Migration, the second wave. He was born in Texas, but raised in Los Angeles. Growing up, Barry and his brother were raised by their mother. There was no father in the picture. Both brothers were involved in crime and gangs growing up. Barry White participated in the 1965 Watts riot. White mentioned that he had alot of anger in his growing up, and so did his brother. Barry White also did time in jail. While Barry turned his life around and cultivated a long and storied musical career, his brother never got out of that criminal life, and died in 1983.

There is something else that needs to be considered. I'm willing to bet some crimes weren't reported. Given the amount of distrust for the police among Blacks back then. Police brutality was even more rampant back then. As a result, alot of distrust for the police. There were likely some cases where victims simply didn't call the police.

I read a novel, Native Son by Richard Wright (and today would be his 113th birthday). His novel is about a young Black man, and it's set in Depression-era Chicago. Back then, alot of Black people were living in the roughest parts of Chicago. Bigger Thomas, the character in the novel, had alot of anger in him. He and another friend joked that they could fly airplanes, they would drop bombs on White people. When Thomas killed a White woman, the Black sections of Chicago were searched in order to find Bigger Thomas. Little attention was paid when he killed his Black girlfriend next.

Black on Black violence has always been a problem for Black people. It is nothing new. It's been going on for ages.

Black on White violence, to the degree we're seeing it, is relatively new. It has become more prevalent not because Black people have gotten worse. There are plenty of good Black people out there. Black people haven't gotten worse. As more Black people become educated, things have gotten better for many Black people. The UNDERCLASS subculture within the Black population is less afraid of the consequences.

Consider this. 1921. The "Black Wall Street" district in Tulsa got bombed and burned by White mobs over rumors that a Black male raped a White female. Not actual proof, but alleged rumors. Underclass criminals learned by process of elimination that they could victimize fellow Black people and get less punishment, than if they victimized White people. There have been cases where a law abiding Black person could get killed for simply being in "the wrong neighborhood" (such as if a Black person ventured into Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, or in certain parts of Chicago). If some Black criminal decided, "lets go victimize some White people", the consequences could be dire. The justice system would likely be harder on a Black criminal victimizing White people than victimizing Blacks. Or, in some case, extrajudicial killing.

With many underclass criminals, some don't fear spending a long time in prison. Some do not care if they live or die. With the rising suicide rate among young Black men, consider how many of those men don't mind killing someone else in the process. The anger, hopelessless, nihilism, and hatred towards society in general. The riots of the 1960s were a sign that it was too little too late. The time to have done something about such problems, well, it was past that time. The riots represented a Pandora's box unleashed. Punishing criminals through the system isn't that difficult. It's a matter of having people in charge who will enforce the laws.

I mention this because there are people claiming "Blacks were better off in the 1950s" and "Lyndon Baines Johnson is responsible for the downfall of the Black community". I call feces on that. There was already a significant-size underclass within the Black population. Black people were already overrepresented in violent crime back in the 1950s. The major difference is that back in the 1950s, violent crimes committed by Black people didn't make it into the news very much. If you weren't Black, if you didn't live around a large Black underclass, it was of no concern. It was Black peoples' problem, no one else. As long as Black people (good or bad) stayed on their side of the tracks, no one cared. People cared when it affected White people. And then the innocent paid for it too.

The thing is, making the innocent pay for the sins of the guilt won't stop them. Not today. Said criminals don't care about ANYONE. They are pretty much at war with the rest of society. Said thugs, underclass criminals, etc, literally could care less about anyone. Said Black criminals would go and murder their fellow Black citizens (no one in this country gets murdered more than Black men).

I have little hope of the crime rates dropping. Law-abiding Black people such as me have no control over the underclass thugs. Said underclass thugs would likely kill me and then sleep soundly. Said thugs who would do such things only understand these things: Violence and death. Law-abiding Black people like me can only control what we do. All we can do is live our lives the best we can. Anyone who says that the perception of Black males will change when the violent crime rates come down, well, I think about this. The only thing that does it put people like me at the mercy of BOTH the thugs, and individuals who can't differentiate between thugs and decent Black people. We live in a society is that is suppose to be individualistic. You are responsible for yourself. I can't reverse the statistics because the persons contributing to the statistics won't listen to anyone and are at war with the rest of society. If said thugs won't listen to someone like me, who will they listen to? Even if we started today, I would likely be dead by the time any fruitful and long lasting results came of any changes. I'm more concerned about TODAY.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:25 PM

930 posts, read 336,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
A resurgence of overt racism against minorities? People swore that Obama and Trump being elected would increase the chances of it but it never was the case minus isolated incidents like the Indian engineer who got killed in Kansas City and the Charleston Church Massacre.

I don't see a resurgence of overt racism anytime. You'll always have a fringe minority of people saying or doing something reckless but as far as a Neo-Nazi or KKK type of movement boosting back up? I don't see that happening at all anytime soon.
Ditto. If you ever watch one of the Richard Spencer rallies, he's lucky to get a couple dozen fellow 'white nationalists' in attendance.

I recall reading somewhere an amusing account of a lone white nationalist protester walking at a rally, trailed by about 8 media guys with cameras, all trying to get footage and/or quotes from the lone protester.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:28 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,042,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I watched a biography of Barry White. One thing I learned is that this underclass crap, the fatherless homes, the violent behavior, it's nothing new. Barry White was part of that Great Migration, the second wave. He was born in Texas, but raised in Los Angeles. Growing up, Barry and his brother were raised by their mother. There was no father in the picture. Both brothers were involved in crime and gangs growing up. Barry White participated in the 1965 Watts riot. White mentioned that he had alot of anger in his growing up, and so did his brother. Barry White also did time in jail. While Barry turned his life around and cultivated a long and storied musical career, his brother never got out of that criminal life, and died in 1983.

There is something else that needs to be considered. I'm willing to bet some crimes weren't reported. Given the amount of distrust for the police among Blacks back then. Police brutality was even more rampant back then. As a result, alot of distrust for the police. There were likely some cases where victims simply didn't call the police.

I read a novel, Native Son by Richard Wright (and today would be his 113th birthday). His novel is about a young Black man, and it's set in Depression-era Chicago. Back then, alot of Black people were living in the roughest parts of Chicago. Bigger Thomas, the character in the novel, had alot of anger in him. He and another friend joked that they could fly airplanes, they would drop bombs on White people. When Thomas killed a White woman, the Black sections of Chicago were searched in order to find Bigger Thomas. Little attention was paid when he killed his Black girlfriend next.

Black on Black violence has always been a problem for Black people. It is nothing new. It's been going on for ages.

Black on White violence, to the degree we're seeing it, is relatively new. It has become more prevalent not because Black people have gotten worse. There are plenty of good Black people out there. Black people haven't gotten worse. As more Black people become educated, things have gotten better for many Black people. The UNDERCLASS subculture within the Black population is less afraid of the consequences.

Consider this. 1921. The "Black Wall Street" district in Tulsa got bombed and burned by White mobs over rumors that a Black male raped a White female. Not actual proof, but alleged rumors. Underclass criminals learned by process of elimination that they could victimize fellow Black people and get less punishment, than if they victimized White people. There have been cases where a law abiding Black person could get killed for simply being in "the wrong neighborhood" (such as if a Black person ventured into Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, or in certain parts of Chicago). If some Black criminal decided, "lets go victimize some White people", the consequences could be dire. The justice system would likely be harder on a Black criminal victimizing White people than victimizing Blacks. Or, in some case, extrajudicial killing.

With many underclass criminals, some don't fear spending a long time in prison. Some do not care if they live or die. With the rising suicide rate among young Black men, consider how many of those men don't mind killing someone else in the process. The anger, hopelessless, nihilism, and hatred towards society in general. The riots of the 1960s were a sign that it was too little too late. The time to have done something about such problems, well, it was past that time. The riots represented a Pandora's box unleashed. Punishing criminals through the system isn't that difficult. It's a matter of having people in charge who will enforce the laws.

I mention this because there are people claiming "Blacks were better off in the 1950s" and "Lyndon Baines Johnson is responsible for the downfall of the Black community". I call feces on that. There was already a significant-size underclass within the Black population. Black people were already overrepresented in violent crime back in the 1950s. The major difference is that back in the 1950s, violent crimes committed by Black people didn't make it into the news very much. If you weren't Black, if you didn't live around a large Black underclass, it was of no concern. It was Black peoples' problem, no one else. As long as Black people (good or bad) stayed on their side of the tracks, no one cared. People cared when it affected White people. And then the innocent paid for it too.

The thing is, making the innocent pay for the sins of the guilt won't stop them. Not today. Said criminals don't care about ANYONE. They are pretty much at war with the rest of society. Said thugs, underclass criminals, etc, literally could care less about anyone. Said Black criminals would go and murder their fellow Black citizens (no one in this country gets murdered more than Black men).

I have little hope of the crime rates dropping. Law-abiding Black people such as me have no control over the underclass thugs. Said underclass thugs would likely kill me and then sleep soundly. Said thugs who would do such things only understand these things: Violence and death. Law-abiding Black people like me can only control what we do. All we can do is live our lives the best we can. Anyone who says that the perception of Black males will change when the violent crime rates come down, well, I think about this. The only thing that does it put people like me at the mercy of BOTH the thugs, and individuals who can't differentiate between thugs and decent Black people. We live in a society is that is suppose to be individualistic. You are responsible for yourself. I can't reverse the statistics because the persons contributing to the statistics won't listen to anyone and are at war with the rest of society. If said thugs won't listen to someone like me, who will they listen to? Even if we started today, I would likely be dead by the time any fruitful and long lasting results came of any changes. I'm more concerned about TODAY.

I don't blame you for not wanting to associate with the thugs but you could join groups for POC who think like you. Looks like our governor Newsom is about to be dethroned by a Black Conservative, Larry Elder. You could also start a Black Libertarian group in your area.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:38 PM

930 posts, read 336,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I watched a biography of Barry White. One thing I learned is that this underclass crap, the fatherless homes, the violent behavior, it's nothing new. Barry White was part of that Great Migration, the second wave. He was born in Texas, but raised in Los Angeles. Growing up, Barry and his brother were raised by their mother. There was no father in the picture. Both brothers were involved in crime and gangs growing up. Barry White participated in the 1965 Watts riot. White mentioned that he had alot of anger in his growing up, and so did his brother. Barry White also did time in jail. While Barry turned his life around and cultivated a long and storied musical career, his brother never got out of that criminal life, and died in 1983....
This is so true. If you read The Warmth of other Suns by Isabelle Wilkerson (re the Great Migration), she gives an account of a black nurse who moved from the South to South Shore in Chicago. IIRC it was in the late 50s or early 60s when she moved. Even back then, as South Shore was changing from all-white to all-black, this nurse talked about how crime was a growing problem in her neighborhood.

My guess is that this stems from something called 'adaptive compliance.' There was a very good episode on NPR's 'Freakanomics' about this.
https://freakonomics.com/2015/09/10/...ll-transcript/

While they don't say this, my theory is that when the authorities (police, politicians, etc) are basically evil oppressors, it is easy for young people to have little or no 'adaptive compliance,' which is really just the same thing as 'respect for authority.'

Old 09-04-2021, 05:43 PM

31,322 posts, read 22,314,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t. raleigh fingers View Post
This is so true. If you read The Warmth of other Suns by Isabelle Wilkerson (re the Great Migration), she gives an account of a black nurse who moved from the South to South Shore in Chicago. IIRC it was in the late 50s or early 60s when she moved. Even back then, as South Shore was changing from all-white to all-black, this nurse talked about how crime was a growing problem in her neighborhood.

My guess is that this stems from something called 'adaptive compliance.' There was a very good episode on NPR's 'Freakanomics' about this.
https://freakonomics.com/2015/09/10/...ll-transcript/

While they don't say this, my theory is that when the authorities (police, politicians, etc) are basically evil oppressors, it is easy for young people to have little or no 'adaptive compliance,' which is really just the same thing as 'respect for authority.'
Sounds reasonable, and we know places like Chicago and New York are the most corrupt cities in the country.

Old 09-04-2021, 05:47 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,708,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
Oh. I understand. It'll be avoiding reality to ignore the statistics and the visible impact on the communities.

And the sad thing is some people don't realize that presentation and lifestyle choices can fix the perception of Black people far more than begging politicians or the media to force "anti-racism" on people.

I never get followed around in stores, "profiled", or anything like that 90% of the time because my presence is casual and mundane. A group of young Black men acting loud and hostile draws far more attention than I do.

It's tough to get lumped in with those type of guys but, at the same time, it's reality. I'm doing my part with my friend trying to help some people who want get on the right track. I even helped funded my older cousin's rehab and he's been out for a year and is a contractor(the job he had before he relapsed.)

While many Black people live normal or decent lives, I don't think enough Black people have the mentality to collectively reverse the statistics that damage our image but one can only hope. I can at least say I've done my part not succumbing to recklessness.
The problem is, the men going up and assaulting white people don't always look like hood rats anymore. It's not enough to avoid the guys wearing the wife beaters whose pants are down around their azz.

There's nothing you can to change what's going on other than voting against Democrats. That's it. Because once that happens and Republicans are in charge of these cities instead of Democrats, these unlawful types will be put in prison where they belong, with stiff sentencing, and our streets will be cleaner. It would hopefully also deter younger kids coming up from getting involved in that stuff, too. The more the streets are cleaned, the less you'll see on the news.

Old 09-04-2021, 06:10 PM

4,966 posts, read 2,745,209 times
animals..

Old 09-04-2021, 06:41 PM

73,129 posts, read 62,974,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired and grumpy View Post
Maybe not then but it couldn't be truer today. Do you remember what LBJ said when he signed the civil rights act? If you think LBJ was the black man's friend think again....https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/...tic-200-years/
I never said LBJ was the Black man's friend. I am saying this. LBJ pushed the Civil Rights Act forward. Barry Goldwater, however, did not. Here is the thing. Barry Goldwater wasn't really the Black man's friend either. Here is the deal. The Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act were two of the most important bills for Black people in the 20th century.

And I read your link. Even your source says it will never know for certain if LBJ said all of those things. This is the thing. Why would Black people vote for Barry Goldwater considering his lack of support for the Civil Rights Act of 1964?

I also have to consider that we have people claiming "Blacks were better off in the 1950s". Based on a basic knowledge of American history, I consider that a big lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies