Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Jail time of 6 months for 3rd DUI conviction
YES 9 32.14%
NO 2 7.14%
YES,LESS time than 6 months 0 0%
YES,MORE time than 6 months 17 60.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:34 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Jail for first conviction is current AZ law.

Too Harsh? I disagree. There is NO EXCUSE possible for driving while intoxicated.

NONE!
While I cannot entirely disagree, these extreme words are often mitigated when they're the ones pulled over after having 3 pints at a party, are low on sleep, and haven't eaten much (likely register over .08)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 11:01 AM

198 posts, read 204,990 times
I see that not only the people agree with jail sentence but they want more jail time.

A clear message to politicians...

Old 05-15-2008, 11:23 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,412 times
Jail time for the first offense is oppressive. What happens in that case is that some foolish 21 yr old who had two beers and drove straight home is getting lumped with some 30 yr old man who's been doing shots half the night and is swerving his way to the next bar. That's not justice, that's insanity.

Further, the police will dole justice unequally. One cop, being soft-hearted will let that 21 yr old go with a verbal warning. The next cop will arrest the next kid. It's unfair.

I like 3x's and you're out laws. Everyone makes foolish mistakes. Not accepting that sets up our police organizations to look more and more like Mexican police systems in their tendency to dole justice without being systematic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Why dont you ask some one who is a victim of a drunk driver? Would these answers be any more harsh? I dont know.
It doesn't matter if it'd be more harsh or not. The reality is that the law is supposed to be unemotional. If being the victim of a crime is what makes you want the crime to be punished more severely, then you're under the influence of irrational emotion and, therefore, should be ignored.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:40 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
While I cannot entirely disagree, these extreme words are often mitigated when they're the ones pulled over after having 3 pints at a party, are low on sleep, and haven't eaten much (likely register over .08)
Sorry - there is no "mitigation" for driving while under the influence.

None

Old 05-15-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Further, the police will dole justice unequally. One cop, being soft-hearted will let that 21 yr old go with a verbal warning. The next cop will arrest the next kid. It's unfair.
Not in Arizona. If stopped for DUI, and fail the field sobriety test, you will be cuffed, put in the rear of the patrol car, and taken to jail. A sample of your blood will be taken for evidence and to measure your B.A.C.. You will be booked, fingerprinted, and your picture taken. You will not be released until after your first court appearence.

If you are convicted of DUI, even a first offense, you will be sentenced to jail (work release may be allowed), your Drivers license is suspended.

If someone does not like these laws - there is a simple answer. Don't drive drunk.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
It doesn't matter if it'd be more harsh or not. The reality is that the law is supposed to be unemotional. If being the victim of a crime is what makes you want the crime to be punished more severely, then you're under the influence of irrational emotion and, therefore, should be ignored.
The driver that killed my wife and child did not even remember the accident. All he could remember was the "good time" he was having at a party.

He was sentenced to 12.5 years in the State Prison. He served his full time.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:53 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
Jail for first conviction is current AZ law.

Too Harsh? I disagree. There is NO EXCUSE possible for driving while intoxicated.

NONE!
Interesting that AZ is so harsh. I was told by some sources that there is no open container law in AZ so effectively you can drink to the limit while actually driving, is there any truth to this or was there?

Also a fellow I used to work with (story from the 70's) claims to have thrown a glass bottle out his window whilst driving intoxicated, evidently this startled the Native American driving behind him resulting in him swerving off the road into a large cactus killing the man. I guess the cop who arrived at the scene let this guy go and passed it off as a drunk indian swerving off the road. This allegedly happened in AZ.

Was it true that AZ was very lawless and forgiving of DWI (the action) at one time? Have they revolutionized their enforcement on such matters?

I like to enjoy a drink now and again, but I never put myself in the situation where I will have to drive. Do the crime do the time.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:55 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
My wife and child were killed by a drunk driver.

OBTW - he was a "first" timer too
YIKES !!!

Sorry Greatday. That is horrible.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Interesting that AZ is so harsh. I was told by some sources that there is no open container law in AZ so effectively you can drink to the limit while actually driving, is there any truth to this or was there?

Also a fellow I used to work with (story from the 70's) claims to have thrown a glass bottle out his window whilst driving intoxicated, evidently this startled the Native American driving behind him resulting in him swerving off the road into a large cactus killing the man. I guess the cop who arrived at the scene let this guy go and passed it off as a drunk indian swerving off the road. This allegedly happened in AZ.

Was it true that AZ was very lawless and forgiving of DWI (the action) at one time? Have they revolutionized their enforcement on such matters?

I like to enjoy a drink now and again, but I never put myself in the situation where I will have to drive. Do the crime do the time.
The differences between the 70's and now are stark.

Open container in the passenger compartment? You will be cited.

There is NO forgiveness of DUI / DWI in the State of Arizona today. NONE

Old 05-15-2008, 11:58 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
The driver that killed my wife and child did not even remember the accident. All he could remember was the "good time" he was having at a party.

He was sentenced to 12.5 years in the State Prison. He served his full time.
I didn't know AZ was so strict with drunk driving.

What I want to know is why do they allow motorcyclists to drive with no helmet? Seems to me driving drunk and driving without a helmet are both safety issues.

Anyone from AZ know why they allow no helmets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies