Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 08:45 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,801,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Pretty judgemental thread. Lol.

I dont think the jobs numbers are going to change much, but I expect a lot of evictions.
Sorry, I have no sympathy for people who got $600/week plus whatever the state paid them for months on end, followed by $300+state unemployment for months on end AND access to all sorts of rent assistance programs and didn't bother to pay rent or work with their landlord to make them whole over time. Some people were getting paid more than what they used to be paid working, there was no excuse to be delinquent on rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2021, 09:33 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,786,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Sorry, I have no sympathy for people who got $600/week plus whatever the state paid them for months on end, followed by $300+state unemployment for months on end AND access to all sorts of rent assistance programs and didn't bother to pay rent or work with their landlord to make them whole over time. Some people were getting paid more than what they used to be paid working, ....
I totally agree. I'm finally getting my first break in 15 months working nearly 24/7 covering this and I'm in the high end of the labor market.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:35 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,395,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I genuinely applaud your point of view on these matters Recess, and I understand where these comments are coming from. However, short of revolution, what can we do about this particular problem? This is an honest question and I would truly like to hear your views. We are a people ruled over by a system of government, and that system allows this government to pretty much take from the people whatever it decides it wants. What path do you feel we should take to reign in this beast and take back some of the freedom we have lost over the last 200 years? Most people say "work within the system" to bring about change. I believe that's impossible, because the system is built in such a way that small changes, such as changes in leadership/policies, are not enough to actually affect change throughout the system itself. What I'm asking is do you have ideas on things we as a people can do to truly change our position short of open revolt/revolution?

Disclaimer: I am in no way trying to spark a revolution with my post. Please call back the re-education squad.
Stop believing in the legitimacy of the system. The Social Contract is an immoral and illogical fallacy. It's that simple. You may have to work within it at gunpoint (hint - you definitely do) but always point out your duress.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:41 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,395,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Sorry, I have no sympathy for people who got $600/week plus whatever the state paid them for months on end, followed by $300+state unemployment for months on end AND access to all sorts of rent assistance programs and didn't bother to pay rent or work with their landlord to make them whole over time. Some people were getting paid more than what they used to be paid working, there was no excuse to be delinquent on rent.
Government doesn't create wealth - it only steals it. The very people who had their money stolen are simply getting it back. Good for them.

And any ventures government has its hand in are non-competitive endeavors.

The housing situation is a case of the government owning you. Always remember that you never own anything in this world with government around - not your time, labor, possessions, physical properties, and even your own body. It's all on rent. Any time self-interest meets the interest of the State your self-interest is considered void. The irony there being that the State allegedly derives its powers from the individual.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:45 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,714,341 times
Well, isn't there like 10 million jobs available?

Beggars can't be choosers.

More than 7 million Americans to lose jobless benefits on Labor Day

Quote:
Over seven million people across the U.S. will lose their unemployment benefits beginning on Monday as pandemic safety nets expire.

The emergency federal jobless benefits are set to end on Labor Day, while another three million people will lose their additional $300 boost to state unemployment benefits, barring government intervention.

The White House has said that there are no plans to expand federal unemployment benefits any further, The Associated Press reported.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:52 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,932,513 times
A lot of people will be moving. Lots of properties will be on the markets after their nonpaying renters and owners move out.

Old 09-06-2021, 01:49 AM

1,154 posts, read 274,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
People also don't want to have to wear a mask all day. A lot of places are already hot and sweaty. Adding layers of cloth over the airways sure don't help.

And it's psychologically depressing to see everyone in a mask all the time which I think was the primary intention of mask mandates.

Old 09-06-2021, 03:36 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,415,324 times
Default Back to reality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Deadbeats actually go out and get a job?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMcVVaAYmho

Should fun to watch all the deadbeats crash the McD's HR servers with their newly updated resumes.

Old 09-06-2021, 03:53 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,415,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
I know the place I work at has been trying to fill positions during this covid thing and people would not take the positions as they got just as much money if not more sitting home, plus food cards!
Right, it's not just the enhanced UE.

If you're not working, you also get free groceries and a health insurance subsidy.

Some people, especially low-wage earners, are simply better of financially not working.

Old 09-06-2021, 04:04 AM

25,856 posts, read 16,558,385 times
There was a time in this country when the people would not take a dollar from the government but they would work for it. FDR had to create the WPA which created jobs like building infrastructure. Otherwise people were going hungry. Imagine that. This is a disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies