Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 08:29 PM

251 posts, read 710,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
How is that amusing? Really.
I used to think that was a joke too until I went to Texarkana and met a brother-sister couple from Arkansas in their 40's.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:33 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Please forgive my ignorance as I have no real opinion on this, but what will marriage provide that a civil-union won't? It seems to be such a big commotion to get to this state. My understanding is (perhaps limited) is that it affords homosexual couples the same privileges...property ownership, advanced directives, health benefits, parental rights, inheritance issues, etc. among others. What is missing?
Full marriage is giving a big middle finger to God and Christianity. That is the ultimate goal of the homosexual community. If it wasn't, they would gladly accept civil unions.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:34 PM

251 posts, read 710,541 times
Quote:
Full marriage is giving a big middle finger to God and Christianity. That is the ultimate goal of the homosexual community. If it wasn't, they would gladly accept civil unions.
You assume everyone is a Christian?

Old 05-17-2008, 08:36 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Please forgive my ignorance as I have no real opinion on this, but what will marriage provide that a civil-union won't? It seems to be such a big commotion to get to this state. My understanding is (perhaps limited) is that it affords homosexual couples the same privileges...property ownership, advanced directives, health benefits, parental rights, inheritance issues, etc. among others. What is missing?
How about equality for all the people?
If it not such a big deal then why not just let them get married?

Like a previous poster said, these are the same arguments people had against interracial marriage when California was the first to allow it in 1948.

Quote:
Loving vs. Virginia'

In the Loving case, a Virginia judge had called for the imprisonment of Mildred Jeter, an African-American woman, and Richard Loving, a white man, after they were legally married in the District of Columbia and moved to Virginia, where their marriage was considered a felony.

The judge's ruling had religious overtones similar to those heard in the arguments of today's critics of same-sex marriage: God created the races and placed them on separate continents. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for them to mix.
USATODAY.com - Gays face same battle interracial couples fought

Old 05-17-2008, 08:39 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
How about equality for all the people?
If it not such a big deal then why not just let them get married?

Like a previous poster said, these are the same arguments people had against interracial marriage when California was the first to allow it.
So you have no problem with those polygamists in Texas?

After all, why limit marriage to two people?

Old 05-17-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
So you have no problem with those polygamists in Texas?

After all, why limit marriage to two people?
You keep posting this, if you cannot see the differences then you have problems:
1 to 1
1 to Many

1 is fair, 1 is not.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:45 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
You keep posting this, if you cannot see the differences then you have problems:
1 to 1
1 to Many

1 is fair, 1 is not.
Yet you have trouble seeing the difference between

man and woman

man and man / woman and woman

..speaking of having problems...

Old 05-17-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Yet you have trouble seeing the difference between

man and woman

man and man / woman and woman

..speaking of having problems...
Where is the problem with 2 consenting adults living their lives with equality within the nation they belong?
As far as I am concerned they are none of your business and should be equals, nobody is getting hurt. My personal feeling is that this some major religious ego trip...yet again.

So tell us what you think about interracial marriages today, if California wouldn't have been the first to pass it? Is America worse because of interracial marriages?

Old 05-17-2008, 08:47 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
How is that clear? Many of the ordinances of secession of the Southern states didn't mention slavery at all. I will have to dig it out, but there was a congressional resolution passed that declared outright the justification for invading the Southern states was not about slavery.

Gen. Grant once declared he would, in effect, fight for the South if he thought the war was related to the abolishionist doctrine...

But yes, sure, slavery was a BIG issue for many extremists on both sides. For the average boy/man north and South, it boiled down to pride and what they saw as right. Southern boys just wanted to defend their home and hearth. And while I sure as heck admire the bravery and courage of the yankees, I maintain they were, at least initially, duped into suiting up for a war that never had to happen.
This is off topic but it just silly to characterize the civil war from the south's part as anything but defense of slavery. It so well documented in contemporaneous records that to assert otherwise is stupid, laughable or both.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:48 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEsananto View Post
I used to think that was a joke too until I went to Texarkana and met a brother-sister couple from Arkansas in their 40's.
Thats funny, I've lived in Fort Smith, probably the most stereotypical Arkansas town in the whole state, and I've never met a brother-sister couple. Texarkana is pretty much Texas anyways so judging the entire state of Arkansas off one instance in Texarkana is pretty ignorant. Make your way to Little Rock or Northwest Arkansas, and you'll find we are a lot more modern than people give us credit for...and there is even gay bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies