Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 12:57 AM

29,524 posts, read 22,680,154 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure why the Bangor Daily News (Maine) is using this particular individual as an example of someone that's been struggling to find a job, and is now losing his unemployment benefits.

He's 72 years old. I think that's a big reason why he's applied for 130 jobs and only got one callback. I know there's many healthy 70 year olds that can do a variety of jobs, but by that age discrimination is a given. He also doesn't seem to need a job for financial reasons, only because he gets bored not working.

I hope not to be working by the time I turn 60 years old. It can happen, but I don't want to be 70 years old and then having to work because I need to for rent, food, bills.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/unemploye...113100114.html

Quote:
Jack Schraeter has applied for roughly 130 jobs in the last nine months. He once ran a foreign recruitment program for a large health care organization, but COVID-19 pandemic travel restrictions led to his position getting eliminated last fall.

Despite his efforts, Schraeter, 72, of Yarmouth, has only gotten one interview this year. Now he is one of the roughly 21,500 Mainers losing federal unemployment benefits this week with pandemic-related unemployment programs expiring. Another 5,400 people receiving state benefits will no longer get a $300 weekly federal supplement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 01:20 AM

37,146 posts, read 42,245,999 times
I'm loosing mine as well, but my old job is firing back up, in a limited capacity, with a long term goal of being back to a pre-covid state by mid 2022. In the meantime I've got some new software and procedures to learn, and some key people need to be hired to replace a few that moved on during the lockdown.

Old 09-09-2021, 04:14 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,397,212 times
Sounds like a good age to start thinking about a political career.

Old 09-09-2021, 04:42 AM

19,233 posts, read 17,110,766 times
Maybe his brother in law didn't want to re him back...

Old 09-09-2021, 05:32 AM

20,127 posts, read 16,173,562 times
The title for the article is rather disingenuous, don’t you think?
Quote:
Mainers aged 65 and older are also overrepresented among those receiving unemployment insurance, according to state data, accounting for about 12 percent of those receiving benefits in July despite being only 9 percent of the workforce in 2020.
There is a reason why we have Social Security.

I am above retirement age. These days, I work less than full time for a variety of reasons starting with it has allowed me the flexibility to go to all my blasted doctor appointments. Most people my age do not work at all, it’s just too taxing at some point. Most employers know while older employees generally are more intrinsically motivated to work, physically most simply can’t be reliable. This by the way includes me, which is why I need a flexible schedule. Clearly, I have no issue with older people working but to use someone above retirement age as an example of jobs not being available is ludicrous. People my age should not have an expectation that we will get jobs when competing against younger candidates, even when we are more qualified.

Old 09-09-2021, 05:34 AM

6,997 posts, read 2,715,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm not sure why the Bangor Daily News (Maine) is using this particular individual as an example of someone that's been struggling to find a job, and is now losing his unemployment benefits.

He's 72 years old. I think that's a big reason why he's applied for 130 jobs and only got one callback. I know there's many healthy 70 year olds that can do a variety of jobs, but by that age discrimination is a given. He also doesn't seem to need a job for financial reasons, only because he gets bored not working.

I hope not to be working by the time I turn 60 years old. It can happen, but I don't want to be 70 years old and then having to work because I need to for rent, food, bills.

People who qualify for SS should not be permitted to collect unemployment.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:01 AM

20,127 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
People who qualify for SS should not be permitted to collect unemployment.
I agree.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:16 AM

39,082 posts, read 51,266,875 times
Many people must work past so-called retirement age to make ends meet. SS does not go very far. My 86 yo mother in law works a 9-5 job on her feet 5 days a week. She could probably make it as she has a pension to supplement SS, but she wants to work. When you get past 60 or so age is relative. Where I live older people will get some jobs because we are a high growth area. Anyone with a pulse can get a fast food job, for example.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:20 AM

30,077 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Does he have a car? Well................ there are millions of jobs in America.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:22 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,890,884 times
Well he's an old goat but willing and able to work. So employers can't complain they can't find anyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies