Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 01:05 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,175 times

Advertisements

Yep, I worked nights at the time and was asleep by 7a that morning so I didn't see/hear about any of it til I woke after 3p that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 02:03 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Going to see pediatric patients in a Far Rockaway Queens preschool. Could see the smoke and smell the burning. Sad to know that some of the parents werent ever coming home as we knew they worked there.
Sister was NYPD down there for Court. She lived. Her partner wasnt as lucky. Lost a few neighbors who were FDNY and friend who was a bond trader with Cantor Fitzgerald.

Waiting for hours to hear if other relatives were ok who worked downtown. Unreal quiet with flights grounded except for the whisting of the F 15s as they flew high over. Our local fire department from Nassau County went into Queens as those firemen went into Manhattan to help rescue people.

Horrible day that I hope is never repeated
OMG! Must have been so difficult that day to function not knowing if people you know were missing...

Old 09-12-2021, 02:20 AM

7,372 posts, read 3,533,397 times
I remember the day vividly, living only a short distance in Northern NJ, you could actually see the towers in the skyline and having family that lived only blocks from the towers. I don’t care to recount my story since I told it so many times already, but for a few weeks after the attacks we were nicer to each other, prouder to be Americans, people were flying their flags everywhere and even on their cars.everyone was so polite to one another. It felt great to be so United. That all seemed to end when the Iraq war started. The conservatives wanted someone to pay, anyone …to send a message not to mess with the USA. The liberals didn’t want to go to war. We should have never even been there on foot. We should have strategically bombed terrorist training camps from the sky and called it a day. It would have netted less lives lost and less money spent.

Old 09-12-2021, 02:33 AM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
I was sleeping my mom told me about it I was like what then went back to sleep then like 90min later I woke up and saw all the news coverage. I did not fully believe my mom I did think what she said was correct she kinda meant something a little different.

Old 09-12-2021, 02:38 AM

2,335 posts, read 815,448 times
I find it ironic that incident was probably the last time the country was truly united. And yet, we now have a virus that has caused significantly more damage and people are at each others throats.

I was in Vegas and a friend was losing his mind, arguing with me that we needed to leave immediately and drive through the dessert in 115 degree heat because the world was ending and we were going to lose all our money. I told him we were staying until it cooled down in the morning since we wouldn't be flying out any time soon (it was my rental car).

There was almost a riot in the lobby because the Mirage tried to triple the room rate for the day. The rental car company did the right thing and didn't charge a fee for us dropping off at a different lot, 900 miles away

Old 09-12-2021, 06:04 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
I turned off my car radio and in the time to walk into the office to be told that a second plane just hit a tower. I knew we were going to war and was looking at a Marine reservist who had just been promoted to Staff Sergeant and wondering when he would be called up

Old 09-12-2021, 06:58 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,426,329 times
I had just finished cooking more breakfast sandwiches and was talking to some locals at the counter when the news reported a small plane had struck one of the towers....and the nightmare began.
... yesterday we held a September 11th Patriot rally from Milton, Me. to Bethel and then attended a nice ceremony in the Veterans Park to honor those that perished on that fateful day, the survivors and all affected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW8HdbO1Knw

Old 09-12-2021, 10:38 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
Yep, I worked nights at the time and was asleep by 7a that morning so I didn't see/hear about any of it til I woke after 3p that day.
I kinda wished I was in your shoes. Living it minute to minute was just so horrifying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies