Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2021, 05:11 PM

1,169 posts, read 751,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Are you serious? Even though I provided a Department of Energy link...they are still part of the government...

So, you are wrong.
You do know that elected officials and appointed executive officials are very different categories of officials?

Old 09-14-2021, 05:13 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyer View Post
Something about skanks and the stuff they do.
O.K., I'll play, when you say skanks, please elaborate.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
O.K., I'll play, when you say skanks, please elaborate.
I only repeated it, the person I responded to above introduced that classy term into this conversation.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:18 PM

Quote:
You do know that elected officials and appointed executive officials are very different categories of officials?
Does not mean the rules are different. If so, prove me wrong, provide something other than what you say. If you can, I'll say I'm wrong in this thread.

I don't think you can, but lets see what you provide.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I only repeated it, the person I responded to above introduced that classy term into this conversation.
Then why did you provide a link?

I can be missing your point?

Old 09-14-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Does not mean the rules are different. If so, prove me wrong, provide something other than what you say. If you can, I'll say I'm wrong in this thread.

I don't think you can, but lets see what you provide.
I did briefly in a post a few above my last one but here goes the longer version:

Most federal laws relating to federal employees cover only employees of the Executive branch of government, unless Congress specifically legislates language indicating that they cover employees of the Legislative branch, or separately, elected officials, and then, only through their "power of the purse." Most ethics rules, anti-harassment policies, EEO policies etc. covering employees are actually executive orders or regulations promulgated by executive agency rulemaking, not laws. Because of the separation of powers doctrine, the Executive i.e. the POTUS and his appointees cannot promulgate any rule or regulation that applies to workplace control over employees of the other two branches of government, or other elected officials such as members of Congress; or Supreme Court justices.

Now, pursuant to their "power of the purse" Congress has passed laws that specifically cover the employees of these other branches of government for certain things, your example of the FEHB is one example. If Congress had not specifically legislated these employees inclusion then they would not be included in the FEHB. Same with the members of Congress themselves. But laws not related to setting the budget of the government cannot apply to these other branches unless the Constitution says otherwise.

More often, as a practical matter, these other two branches of government promulgate policies of their own for their employees that mirror Executive branch rules, or at least resemble them, but sometimes they can be quite different. Pay scales, ethics policies, workplace rules, workers compensation policies, even the applicability of what most of us are used to having covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act can be very different. The S.C. Justices make up most of the ethics rules for themselves, Congress sets the Justice's pay and legislates their budget pursuant to their power in the Constitution but that's about it. For M.O.C., members set their own policies and pay. As an example, the only thing that prevents a M.O.C. from sexually harassing one of their staffers in the workplace (outside of criminal conduct at least) is the Rules of the Senate or the House, not federal law. The only thing that governs the ethics of the Member of the House or Senate is the Rules of the House or the Senate, not federal law.

As a related note, long ago in the dark ages when I was a relatively new employee deep, deep in the bowels of one of the agencies in the US Department of the Interior I got a job offer to come work for Congress. It turned out to be something not for me and I turned it down, but in the meantime I learned all sorts of interesting things about how different being an employee for a different branch of government could be. Some good, some not so good.

Last edited by alaskaflyer; 09-14-2021 at 05:52 PM..

Old 09-14-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Then why did you provide a link?

I can be missing your point?
It was probably worth missing. When I saw this thread I immediately though of the stupid message on the First Lady's expensive fashion jacket a couple years ago for obvious reasons. Then when another poster loosely threw out the "skank" term, I couldn't resist drawing the comparison. One made a silly but innocent dance video on top of a NY building in college, the other posed naked for money. Whatever.

As I said, whatever. Can we all agree that people need to quite scrawling stupid messages across pricey fashion wear to make political statements in public?

Old 09-14-2021, 05:42 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Are you serious? Even though I provided a Department of Energy link...they are still part of the government...

So, you are wrong.
No, I'm not.

https://ethics.house.gov/gifts/gifts-faqs

Note who they're prohibited from accepting things from: registered lobbyists and foreign agents.

From anyone else is good to go as long as it's reported.

That's how these guys go to all these functions. I had a Congressional aide tell me one time that if he wanted to, and members of Congress can do it too, he could eat for free at one reception or another every night of the week.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:45 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penlady61 View Post
She got hit with an ethics violation for wearing that dress . I think she might be in big doo doo now about time one of these skanks got in deep doo doo for stuff they do ...
1. She had an ethics complaint. Which will be investigated, and a determination made.

2. Why is a woman, calling another woman a skank?!!! Even if she does get a violation she did nothing to be called a skank.

Horrible.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-14-2021, 05:46 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No, I'm not.

https://ethics.house.gov/gifts/gifts-faqs

Note who they're prohibited from accepting things from: registered lobbyists and foreign agents.

From anyone else is good to go as long as it's reported.

That's how these guys go to all these functions. I had a Congressional aide tell me one time that if he wanted to, and members of Congress can do it too, he could eat for free at one reception or another every night of the week.

Yep, once a year we had to fill out forms about anything of value we received, and from who. whom?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies