Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 02:37 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,702,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
What mandates did Trump put upon the people? Trump gave the states the power to do what they wanted. Unlike Biden who dictates to the states of what they cannot do. Biden is walking all over Americans rights .
My post has nothing to do with Trump or Biden.

My post was just pointing out that this episode of a TV show, wasn't about left or right, but about totalitarianism from either end of the political spectrum.

Old 09-18-2021, 02:44 PM

63,917 posts, read 46,957,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Logic is an enemy and truth is a menace." Only the State is your God! It applies very much to the left of today wouldn’t you say!
Prior to the mid 1800’s 80% of the US population engaged in sustenance farming. The Industrial Revolution and evolving technology changed all that.

Planned obsolescence has been around for more than a century. Something that lasts forever is not good for repeat business and all that.

Some people seem to never tire of viewing most everything through a partisan lens.

I imagine it gets to be quite a burden, over time.

Old 09-18-2021, 02:53 PM

33,610 posts, read 18,283,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
There's no way in hell I'm going to mess around with tax paperwork over some audit of stuff done years ago. I had some crypto profits years back and I in good faith tried to pay the taxes to the best of my ability because of just how difficult it is to pay crypto taxes when trading one altcoin for another. They actually determined I overpaid and gave me money back.

If they audited me I would be so mad. I detest paperwork which is why I prefer to be a wage slave and do more buy and hold investing, take the standard deductions, and not itemize. There have been years I forgot to put like $1000 in dividends or $150 in interest from my bank account in the W-2 also. I'd rather they just let me pay $2500 as a complete audit immunity of past returns rather than deal with the hassle over what might be an extra $750 over 20 years that I owe them. Hopefully they don't target the smaller fish too much.
Most likely they will charge interest too. This could be more interest than the actual amount they say is owed. IRS can attach it to your paycheck or your home. They will get their money one way or another.

Old 09-18-2021, 02:58 PM

63,917 posts, read 46,957,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post

Biden went against all his advisors and pulled out of Afghanistan . Biden is a one man disaster dictating to all departments destroying us. Better look closer or you may be blinded by the brainwashing and on a wavelength that does not exist in the real world of what is fact.
In 2016, Trump campaigned on the intent to withdraw all troops from Afghanistan

The Trump Admin negotiated with the Taliban and agreed to use its influence to free 5000 Taliban fighters from Afghan prisons and withdraw all troops by 5/1/2021.

By the time Trump left office, the Taliban fighters had been released and only 2500 troops remained, a 90% reduction in force from peak.

Hell froze over and Trump and Biden agreed it was beyond time to leave Afghanistan

Trump championed the complete withdrawal through the end of April, 2021.

Guess Biden could have redeployed massive troops as was the case when Bush, then Obama and then Trump reduced troops or go for it.

Breaking up is hard to do and messy especially when so many defense contractors had been sucking on the government Afghanistan teat, on/ off, since 1979.

Old 09-18-2021, 03:10 PM
Status: "Peace sells...but who's buying?" (set 23 days ago)

8,226 posts, read 3,681,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Hopefully they don't target the smaller fish too much.
Although these kinds of new rules tend to target the big fish I get the feeling that with the current state of our government, whether you swim in the pond on the left or the one on the right will matter as much as how big of a fish you are. We already saw this to a degree when Obama was president, and they got away with it even then. In these days of extreme boldness and impunity from the left this will only escalate.

Old 09-18-2021, 05:02 PM

20,158 posts, read 9,679,916 times
For those not familiar with this episode and don't want to watch the video:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Obsolete_Man

Old 09-18-2021, 06:17 PM

33,610 posts, read 18,283,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
In 2016, Trump campaigned on the intent to withdraw all troops from Afghanistan

The Trump Admin negotiated with the Taliban and agreed to use its influence to free 5000 Taliban fighters from Afghan prisons and withdraw all troops by 5/1/2021.

By the time Trump left office, the Taliban fighters had been released and only 2500 troops remained, a 90% reduction in force from peak.

Hell froze over and Trump and Biden agreed it was beyond time to leave Afghanistan

Trump championed the complete withdrawal through the end of April, 2021.

Guess Biden could have redeployed massive troops as was the case when Bush, then Obama and then Trump reduced troops or go for it.

Breaking up is hard to do and messy especially when so many defense contractors had been sucking on the government Afghanistan teat, on/ off, since 1979.
Wow, are you mislead. Trump wrote this up in 2020 and there was suppose to be an exchange of 1000 fighters from the other side .. but as we all know, the Taliban did not live up to their agreement and it was nullified as such.

This all falls on Biden. Every bit of it.

The original agreement was broken by the Taliban and it was no longer a workable agreement under Trump.

What Biden did is what Biden did and has absolutely nothing to do with Trump . Biden owns every stupid dumb move he made. We are not so gullible as to believe what you do with the lies and manipulation the media feeds you.

Old 09-18-2021, 07:50 PM

11,403 posts, read 16,828,691 times
Rod Serling was a genius.

Old 09-18-2021, 07:59 PM

9,567 posts, read 5,672,483 times
Logic is an enemy and truth is a menace

Sounds like the Anti-Vaxxers of today !

Old 09-18-2021, 08:00 PM

25,918 posts, read 16,651,527 times
Rod Serling was a genius. He served in WWII and saw heavy combat. You never saw a TZ episode that glorified war or portrayed it as anything other than a waste of human life.

The country was so much more sophisticated in his time. A great lost period of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies